Mcintosh c220 tube preamplifier with ML Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjay

Reaction score
I purchased a new Mcintosh c220 tube preamplifier. My speakers are ML Vantage. I was looking for a good tube preamplifier to go with Rotel RB 1080 amplifier. Does anyone have any experiences with Mcintosh? Will this preamplifier match well with Vantage speakers?
Thanks,
Jim

I purchased a new Mcintosh c220 tube preamplifier. My speakers are ML Vantage. I was looking for a good tube preamplifier to go with Rotel RB 1080 amplifier. Does anyone have any experiences with Mcintosh? Will this preamplifier match well with Vantage speakers?
Thanks,
Jim

It's a an excellent preamp and the Vantages really seem to benefit from a bit of tube warmth upstream, whether in a preamp or amp. You should be VERY happy with your new Mac so long as it plays well with the Rotel.

** manages to conquer his jealousy **

best,

k

Might as well . . . . . .

Thanks, Jim
. . . . . . get a McIntosh MC275 MkV (or MkIV used) to go with it. Besides being perfect with the C220, the MC275 by itself is becoming a favorite with many Vantage and Summit owners. I use one with my CLS's and it's amazing (click on my system link.)

It's a an excellent preamp and the Vantages really seem to benefit from a bit of tube warmth upstream, whether in a preamp or amp. You should be VERY happy with your new Mac so long as it plays well with the Rotel.

** manages to conquer his jealousy **

best,

k

I am gradually moving up the upgrade ladder. I will see how Mcintosh c220preamp works with the rb 1080 amplifier. I was looking at a possible change to the rega saturn cd player first though. If the Rotel is the right match, a possible change to a ss mcintosh, audio research, pass labs etc.

I am gradually moving up the upgrade ladder. I will see how Mcintosh c220preamp works with the rb 1080 amplifier. I was looking at a possible change to the rega saturn cd player first though. If the Rotel is the right match, a possible change to a ss mcintosh, audio research, pass labs etc.

Looks like you're on the right track. The Saturn is an absolutely superb CDP and I wrote a quickie piece about it somewhere in this subforum. I think it comfortably outpeforms the MCD-201 on redbook in terms of resolution and sheer musicality though of course it can't play SACDs. Certainly worth a listen and ought to complement your gear very nicely indeed.

best,

k

I talked to salesman at a local high end audio shop about if I was on the right path. He mentioned that the ML Vantage & Mcintosh C220 may show the limitations of the Rotel RB 1080 amplifier. Does anyone have a opinion on this. I was hoping to look at a new CD player first before switching amplifiers. The cd player I am currently using is a Rotel rcd 1072. It is a fairly neutral sounding cd player but if a cd is bright or glaring the combination of this cd player and ML Vantage speakers this glare is revealed. This is one reason I went to the Mcintosh C220 tube preamplifier was to reduce or eliminate glare.
Jim:confused: :confused:

Last edited:
it's the ss amp IMHO

I talked to salesman at a local high end audio shop about if I was on the right path. He mentioned that the ML Vantage & Mcintosh C220 may show the limitations of the Rotel RB 1080 amplifier. Does anyone have a opinion on this. I was hoping to look at a new CD player first before switching amplifiers. The cd player I am currently using is a Rotel rcd 1072. It is a fairly neutral sounding cd player but if a cd is bright or glaring the combination of this cd player and ML Vantage speakers this glare is revealed. This is one reason I went to the Mcintosh C220 tube preamplifier was to reduce or eliminate glare.Jim:confused: :confused:
Stats are always a little glarey with even the very best ss amps. I was using my Levinson 23.5 with my CLS's. It's acknowledged one of the most "tube-like" of ss amps, yet when I returned to tubes (McIntosh MC275) everything relaxed (including me!), the midrange became strong and natural, and the soundstage took on a greater reality. Despite what you may have been told, the amp (ss vs. tube) makes a greater contribution to the sound of a system than the preamp. This is because it is the amp where the signal undergoes the most "processing" (i.e. all the gain stages) and is going to show the magnified effects of the electronic's characteristics.

I will definitely test out a Mcintosh tube amplifier this coming week. There are many Mcintosh models that they have on display. I will demo the model 275 you suggest. I couldn't go back to cone speakers after hearing the transparency the ML Vantage have. I have this glare problem only on certain cds. The reason I was looking at solid state was I was told that the bass could get soft and unfocused. What is your experience with tube amplifiers vs ss amplifiers?

I will definitely test out a Mcintosh tube amplifier this coming week. There are many Mcintosh models that they have on display. I will demo the model 275 you suggest. I couldn't go back to cone speakers after hearing the transparency the ML Vantage have. I have this glare problem only on certain cds. The reason I was looking at solid state was I was told that the bass could get soft and unfocused. What is your experience with tube amplifiers vs ss amplifiers?

Except that the Vantages already have their own amp for the bass, so it would be much less risky than you were told. There is no doubt that quality tube amps will have no trouble driving the bass, so it really boils down to user preference. Someone in this forum preferred the Ayre MX-R (SS) to the Audio Research 210 (tubes) because of their speed (either of them is a fine piece of equipment, taste really is king, so audition, audition, audition).

Where's Cherian??

You say Mac.... Cherian says, "Auhhhhh.... maaaaahcintosh..... *drool*....."

The reason I was looking at solid state was I was told that the bass could get soft and unfocused.

The statement above is true of some tube gear and from underpowering a speaker but is not necessarily true of all tube gear. Since the Vantage's woofers are powered with thier own their is no issue of being underpowered with a tube amp. As long as you have a clean bass signal to the speaker you'll have clean bass from the Vantages.

I haven't heard the McIntosh 275 amp so I can't comment on it's sound but it's power rating as a tube amp is plenty for the Vantage. I would expect it to be a nice sounding combination.

Last edited:
Hi,

The MC275 (Mk. IV or V) outputs close to 100w into any of its rated loads and is for a tube amp very load-tolerant so is an excellent bet for the Logans. I had one on extended loan and it drove my Vantages absolutely beautifully, never breaking a sweat and easily the finest amp I've had in my system and a significant upgrade to the Cary tube amp I also tried in terms of drive and control. It will also mate beautifully with your preamp. You should then have a system that, for sheer musicality, ought to rival far more expensive and complex setups. And it's absolutely stunning to boot. Of course, you can always buy TWO MC275s and biamp...

best,

k

Back