CLS stator removal -THE MOVIE

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slownlo

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been seen...I just got this from Mr Powers...for those who find it hard to visualize the written instructions, this can be a life(panel)saver...

Attachments

• CLS_Stat_Removal.zip
    986.9 KB · Views: 1,354
Yep,
That is what I did when I changed mine. It is that easy. The only difference I was sweating like crazy and knew I was going to just ruin the panel. :eek:

Jeff:cool:

Sweat...

Yeah, I would have never figured that out, I was ready to take the frame apart....(lol). I got the stator's out and am working on the frames...I'm sanding them down, with plans to add about 5 coats of clear laquer so the wood glows gold....I'm so psyched.

I'm ordering some new panels so I can start fresh...

I'll post pics when I'm done...

CLS stator removal...method 2

I used a simple process to remove the stator and install the new one.
-first place cardboard from the stator shipping box on the floor.
-remove electronics from the CLS and lay it down on the floor (on top of the cardboard.
-step on one side and then apply a little weight on the other side.
-a distributed force is gently applied to the inside curve of the stator and it pops right out...no sweat.

Installing the new stator is the same.
-place one edge of the new stator in the frame, with the other stator edge under the frame.
-apply bare foot to pivot side (stator is in the frame).
-apply weight with your hand. It pops right in.

The 2 key points are:
-applying distributed force along the inside curve of the stator
-just using body weight, no muscle required

I told Jim Powers (at ML) about this method, he thought it sounded pretty easy.

Attachments

• CLS II-step1(size50%).jpg
    CLS II-step1(size50%).jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,320
  • CLS II-step2(size50%).jpg
    CLS II-step2(size50%).jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,367
  • CLS II-step3(50%).jpg
    CLS II-step3(50%).jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,317
  • CLS II-step4(50%).jpg
    CLS II-step4(50%).jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,336
Last edited:
Hmm 230lbs on my frame !:confused: I think Ill go the other way if I ever have too. Not that yours is bad I just see bad things happening that way for me !

I've sanded it dowm

...am working on the frames...I'm sanding them down, with plans to add about 5 coats of clear lacquer so the wood glows gold....I'm so psyched.

I'm ordering some new panels so I can start fresh...

I'll post pics when I'm done...
years ago (circa '96)I bought a black pair of CLS. I stripped them with chemicals and then sanded them down. I then applied stain and lacquer.
I should have left them black. The job was good enough that the guy who purchased them never even noticed.
gregadd

None wire side at the top

Not sure if this has been seen...I just got this from Mr Powers...for those who find it hard to visualize the written instructions, this can be a life(panel)saver...

Make sure you pop out the non-wire side first. So the non-wire side is at the top when you lay it on its side.
When you remove the bottom side don't use the panel to pull the wire through the hole. Grasp the wire itself. After you have removed the little plastic block, then pull the wire. If you feel any significant resistance you may want to un-braid the wire first.

Failure to do this may necessitate reading my post on, "How to fix your own panel and save $1500.
:cool:
gregadd

Last edited:
Back