Your take on Reggae? Love it, hate it, etc?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonepub

Reaction score
Hey group, just curious....

I just got an incredibly nasty letter today from a reader that HATES our magazine because we never cover any Reggae. Personally, I'm not a big fan, nor is anyone on the staff and our music writers range from 20-64, so I know it's just not an age thing.

I've got four Bob Marley CD's on the Sooloos and that's about enough for me..

Thoughts?

sounds like you need a Reggae reviewer...ask him if he wants to do it. ;)

not me...

I dig it, especially during the summer months. :music:

That said, it's not one of the mainstay genre's of music I jam to on a day to day basis.

Jeff,

I like some classic Marley, but not interested in too much beyond that. It would certainly be a part of your magazine that I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to if you did cover it regularly.

I suggest you reply to the guy that he should calm down, light up a spliff, and visit this site: Reggae Times

I'm okay with Reggae, but it's more of a diversion when I want something different. It ranks way below, rock, jazz, blues, etc. for me.

Actually, it was a she and I WAS going to give her a shot, but she was such a raving bitch, I passed on the deal. She sent me an article that was terrible, and I told her that we couldn't use it.

Now she wants to sue me for $600, saying I owe her money. Says she is going to call every one of our advertisers tomorrow and tell them I don't pay my writers. I told her to live it up, that I don't respond to terrorism.

Ugh.

So I'm pretty soured on the reggae thing at this point.

And you thought all I did was unbox stuff from MartinLogan!!!

I think there is some really good stuff beyond Marley and Peter Tosh. A non-audiophile friend of mine brought some Matisyahu cds to my house to jam on my system, and it was really impressive. The Live at Stubb's cd really made it up the charts a few years ago.

Even if I have no cd, I really love it ( I mean reggae, not cd).

If I want to listen to reggae I use LP.

Last edited:
Jeff,

Just tell her that you can't publish her article unless she passes a drug test....ask her to send in one of her braids of hair. If she does and she passes tell her you can't publish it because she must not be an authentic Reggae expert...if she fails, well then you do have a dilemma....you can always send her article to High Times!:D

Actually, she used to write for them!!

Attachments

• happy0194.gif
    happy0194.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 78
I try not to be closed minded when it comes to music, but I agree with Tom.

The reggae thing just doesn't speak to me, and I've even started to like opera!

You only need one Reggae Title in your collection.

Marley's Legend
Get serious, Legend is the lamest collection of Marley ever released. Simply a way to profit from Bob's fame.

I dig reggae, Marley, Tosh, Third World, Eek-A-Mouse, Burning Spear, Jimmie Cliff, Black Uhuru, Eddie Grant, Bunny Wailer, and many more from back in the day. I Wayne, Shabba Ranks (actually dancehall), Kiprich, Gentleman, Buju Banton, and others from today. Early reggae was about the struggle for Black Liberation and freedom from "Babylon" either literally or metaphorically. Associated in the public mind with Rastafarianism (the title of H.I.M Haile Sellasie I (i. e. Ras (Prince) Tafari Makonnen), reggae takes an Afrocentric view of the world.

Last edited:
Actually, she used to write for them!!

Well they don't cover much Reggae either, so I guess she is ****ed off at them too. :D

Honestly, Jeff. You have just got to do your best to ignore the crazies. There is no reasoning with them, that's for sure. And lord knows your city has its share of them. Militant environmentalist feminazis and so on. I consider myself fairly liberal, but some of the folks in Portland make me look like a right-wing fascist in comparison.

As for Reggae, there is an entire culture and lifestyle that accompanies it. While anyone can enjoy it, it is hard to really "get" it unless you have lived in the islands or been exposed to those cultures.

Actually, it was a she and I WAS going to give her a shot, but she was such a raving bitch, I passed on the deal. She sent me an article that was terrible, and I told her that we couldn't use it.

Now she wants to sue me for $600, saying I owe her money. Says she is going to call every one of our advertisers tomorrow and tell them I don't pay my writers. I told her to live it up, that I don't respond to terrorism.

Ugh.

So I'm pretty soured on the reggae thing at this point.

And you thought all I did was unbox stuff from MartinLogan!!!

She doesn't represent reggae! She clearly has her own agenda and it AIN'T about the music.

I don't get it. Reggae, that is.

True appreciation of reggae can only be learned if the listener is experiencing a similar bio-chemical state of awareness as the performers. It is a form of "state-dependent learning", and although a person may be able to somehow enjoy reggae without sharing this bio-chemical state experience with the musicians, the experience will be superficial.

Reggae is fundamentally a sacred music--used to teach lessons, transmit morals and history across generations, and form community through sharing of life experiences. As with any form of sacred music, it may be enjoyed analytically or superficially by "outsiders" and academics, but true "overstanding" of the socio-spiritual depth of Reggae music can only be experienced if the listener has a personal and intimate understanding of the Rastafari weltanchauung, through receiving of their sacraments, discussion and learning of their scriptures (reasonings), and sympathy with their goals.

I would suggest, Tom, that you probably haven't done these things. I would venture to say that you don't "get" Tibetan throat-singing, Huong Thanh (Vietnamese sacred music), or Bata (sacred music of Yoruba/Ifa and Afro-Caribbean Santeria) either, and for many of the same reasons... ;)

http://www.religionfacts.com/a-z-religion-index/rastafarianism.htm

In other words, to really "get" Reggae, you need to get really high on ganja, sit for hours discussing the issues of man's relationship with Divinity, dance nyabingi, and be an downpressed member of a dominator culture fighting against your downpression.

Actually once you understand that Ganja is a sacrament given to man directly from God, most of the rest of it pretty much follows. It's actually pretty hard to deny--I mean, the temperature at which THC starts to metabolize IS 98.6° F, and that's pretty hard to write off to pure coincidence... ;)

If I and I want to "get" how Rasta think, listen to how Rasta speak. Rasta have a dialect that is painfully straightfoward and truth-laden. It takes the twisted Orwellian syntax and meanings of modern English, deconstructs it to reveal it's REAL meaning--that of downpression, subjugation and obfuscation--and replaces those words and syntax with new words that have a much more "reasoned" structure.

If the Rastafari movement ever gains a foothold in a nation that has "strategic" value to the USA, it will be labeled as the next "Al Quaida"--this stuff is DANGEROUS to the status quo. Rastafari doctrine stresses simple life, brutal honesty in communication, communal consideration of one's actions, and considered greed and covetousness to be some of the most egregious sins. That sort of thinking is just the sort of thing that many people in the West these days consider to be verging on "terrorist doctrine". Let's hope that the Rasta movement never gets in the way of the Military Industrial complex, or else we'll start seeing news reports about pot-crazed, dreadlock-wearing "religious fanatics", and telling us what a threat to our way of life these people represent. Let us pray that these gentle, kind, thoughtful people never come to the attention of Babylon on that level. The world would be a much worse place without Rastafari and their wonderful culture.

Jah Rastafari,
Deliver us from the hands of our enemy that we may prove faithful for the last day, when our enemy has passed, and decayed in the depth of the sea or in the belly of the beast.
Selah.
Amen.

Last edited:
Get serious, Legend is the lamest collection of Marley ever released. Simply a way to profit from Bob's fame.
Hey I like it

reggae takes an Afrocentric view of the world.
That it expains it, Being white maybe that's why I like the lamest collection of reggae ever put together. :D
Although I've smoked plenty of Kaya in my lifetime and for most of my working life I have been the minority at work, spending most of my career working on the Southwest side of Chicago I'm just your average typical white guy whose only reggae album is Legend.

Hey I'll bet I listen to the lamest Rap as well.:rolleyes:

risabet said:
reggae takes an Afrocentric view of the world.

spending most of my career working on the Southwest side of Chicago I'm just your average typical white guy whose only reggae album is Legend.

Hey I'll bet I listen to the lamest Rap as well.:rolleyes:
I was born in Africa, and I'm not a white guy, but I don't "get" reggae. Any time I have not had any choice but have had to listen to reggae (mercifully just a few times), the bass on the stereo system was at maximum and the loudness button was depressed...and the volume was waaay up, so how can you guys listen to it on your high-end systems ? :D

The only thing I detest more than reggae is rap....and hip-hop.

Back