Your Favorite "Ivory Tickler"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really love the Schubert, but the version I have is played by two Frenchwomen, on Erato.

So you really do love Schubert, heh. Ever hear the Shepherd on the Rock? Its one of my favorite works by him. I used to play with a number of clarinetists, from Spain, Russia, US, so I heard this every once in a while. I think its so beautiful.

Murray Perahia for Schubert. I have heard him in concert several times, and he is superb. The last time he played a bunch of mostly Bach (not my cup of tea as I find Bach too emotionless), but for an encore he played Schubert's famous serenade ("Standchen"); that alone was worth the price of admission. It is available on CD, which I have.

There's also beautiful arrangements of Standchen for guitar. They're everywhere, but its possible that David Leisner might have done it first? My memory is terrible. Works great on guitar. Im still waiting for someone to sing and play at the same time, as Ive seen with Dowland, etc.

I had a baroque (really Bach) prof and conductor who was a former pupil of Perahia. Im not crazy about his Bach performances, so far what I've heard.

But as far as Bach, there's him and there's everyone else. If I had a gun to my head, and was asked, Bach only, or the rest of the music of the entire history of the world, I'd pick the first handily. Nothing is even close. Not for emotion, not for redemption, not for counterpoint, not for balance, not for excruciating richness of harmony, not anything. Well, I like fugues. LOL.

-John

Per Jonathan's recomendation I purchased two recordings featuring Evgeny Kissin, the young Russian pianist. With the help of my 40% off coupon from Borders these two were very reasonable !

The Chopin CD along with my favorite bottle of Bourdeux help make for a great Valentines dinner !

Hi Dave, glad you liked it. And yes, that Chopin is astounding.

If you are into the Romantics, his Rachmaninoff 2nd concerto is one of the best interpretations of that piece.

Hi Dave, glad you liked it. And yes, that Chopin is astounding.

If you are into the Romantics, his Rachmaninoff 2nd concerto is one of the best interpretations of that piece.

Id like to hear that sometime. Ive always loved his 3rd Concerto, and Ive got Horowitz with Ormandy/Philly, IIRC. The cadenza of the 1st mvmt really shows his prowess, and I still remember this w/o having heard this recording in many, many, many years. :D

So you really do love Schubert, heh. Ever hear the Shepherd on the Rock? Its one of my favorite works by him.
Yes, I sure do. No, I have not heard Shepherd on the Rock; I will look for it. Thanks for the recommendation. Have you heard his Notturno (D897)? It is a gorgeous piece of music, and I have several versions, the best being on DG, by Eschenbach et al. It has more emotion and passion than the rest.

There's also beautiful arrangements of Standchen for guitar. They're everywhere, but its possible that David Leisner might have done it first? My memory is terrible. Works great on guitar.
I have to look for one; you can never have too many Standchens. Maisky does it really well on the cello, with a piano accompaniment. I do of course have a couple of versions sung by males; now if only I could get a version sung by a woman ! Edit: Just found one, by Anne Sophie von Otter.

But as far as Bach, there's him and there's everyone else. If I had a gun to my head, and was asked, Bach only, or the rest of the music of the entire history of the world, I'd pick the first handily. Nothing is even close. Not for emotion, not for redemption, not for counterpoint, not for balance, not for excruciating richness of harmony, not anything.
I would say the same for me for Beethoven. I must confess to being a novice in terms of the technicalities of music, but for me there is nothing to compare to Beethoven. Nothing anyone else wrote for the piano comes even remotely close to Beethoven for beauty and expression; not Mozart and not Chopin. Then there are his symphonies....For me mankind's crowning achievement is his 9th.

Last edited:
Bernard,

Thanks for the rec, I'll definitely keep my eyes out for any nocturnes at all by Schubert; I really need to expand my library with this great composer. I can't believe people like him die in poverty. I do have a great recording of Schwarzkopf+Fischer, though the recording is old.

My preferred Beethoven work of any kind has always been the 7th. His symphonic works are what I prefer, but of course there are plenty who either prefer the string quartets or his piano works. I have been borrowing my friend's complete s.q. recordings by the Alban Berg quartet for the last month or two, but am returning it today. Its great. My most recent Beethoven purchase was the 9 symphonies by Gardiner. Awesome SQ and performances, however for some folks the tempi are just way too fast. Roughly half of them are recorded live, and all with period instruments. While some moments almost sound humorous, I think of the bassoon, I love the overall presentation.

The same friend who lent me the Berg box set bought me the Haydn masses box-set by Hickox for my b-day. Fantastic recordings. I have great respect for Haydn. To be honest, I find that Beethoven often sounds like Haydn, and took a lot from him. A lot. Beethoven, to me, seems to expand and push some boundaries, but the starting point (at the least) surely seems to be Haydn, imo.

I have a funny story of Maisky (I am chock full of anecdotes). I briefly stayed with a great musician in Naples many years ago, and he himself was a big fan of Maisky. He recounted the story of when the cellist came to perform some Bach sonatas, with important political people sitting in the front row. Of course, some very important official started coughing, and Maisky stands straight up, ****ed as hell, points his bow at him and demands he leaves!!! The producer (a friend of the guy I was staying with) went instantly pale. It was being nationally televised, LOL. After the cellist had his way, he continues as if nothing happened, and leaves the audience spellbound... :D

I have great respect for Haydn. To be honest, I find that Beethoven often sounds like Haydn, and took a lot from him. A lot. Beethoven, to me, seems to expand and push some boundaries, but the starting point (at the least) surely seems to be Haydn, imo.
Interesting that you say that as Beethoven studied under Haydn, but the two could not get on with each other. Beethoven quit the studies after a while, saying (if I am not mistaken) that he could not learn anything else from Haydn. I have what is regarded as the definitive biography of Beethoven - Thayer's "Life of Beethoven". It is quite a tome, and a fascinating read. Many years ago I went on a "pilgrimage" to visit the Beethoven houses in Vienna (he moved a lot). It was quite something to visit the house in which he composed his 6th Symphony (one of my favourites).

Yes, that is the story. Dunno. What I will say though is that often when I am hearing one of my Haydn's innumerable symphonies, I think "Gee, he really sounds like Beethoven!". The thing is that he was writing these before Beethoven was. I then realized that it's the other way around, that Beethoven sounds like Haydn. Not always, but sometimes it seems it is as often as not. Now, Im just starting to get into Haydn. I think with time my appreciation will only grow. Some fans of Beethoven's symphonies liken his 1st sym to Mozart (who was the greatest composer ever in the eyes of Haydn).

That must've been awesome to be at his old residence. Regarding my own fav, the 7th, I heard on the local classical station, maybe just last year, that it was the best symphony according to the the composer himself. And thanks for the book rec, maybe it's been too long since I've read biographical literature on any composer. I think maybe I should start with the Bach Reader, but that's not very thin either :D.

In turn, I highly highly highly recommend Robert Greenberg's lectures on any specific composer. He loves Beethoven, so maybe try that first.

In turn, I highly highly highly recommend Robert Greenberg's lectures on any specific composer. He loves Beethoven, so maybe try that first.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll do so when my budget permits. Guess we shoud stop hijacking this thread. Maybe start a Beethoven or composers thread ?

Last edited:
My three would be:

Gene Harris
Oscar Peterson
Eldar (provided he keeps playing as he is)
Diana Krall

Latest posts

Back