Your favorite audio dealer

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCH

Reaction score
Over the years I've read a lot of complaints about audio dealers, many apparently well justified. I can't recall reading a thread dedicated to giving credit to excellent dealers. Also, I do a fair bit of travelling and would like to hear about dealers in other parts of the country/world that you would strongly recommend visiting.

My personal favorite is Steve Huntley at Great Northern Sound in Stillwater, MN. He brings to retail his years of work in design at Audio Research and Wadia and so is unusually knowledgeable. Just as important, he is extremely helpful, going his out of his way to accommodate customers. GNS is also very involved in audio repair and upgrading. I live hundreds of miles away, but I use GNS's services whenever possible.

I'll second Steve Huntley as well, along with our forum sponsor Shawn Millin of DiVinchi Media, Milwaukee, Wi.

Well I have a few that I like.. Audio Perfection in St Paul MN. Just great guys and great show room. Da Vinci Media in WI, Shawn and his partner Jason IIRC are 1rst class people , Audiophalics place in Idaho, What a great Wilson room. Paragon Sight and sound in MI, Just good old fashioned Hi FI store.

We used to have a lot of good dealers but the economy has killed them !

My favorite dealer is Audio Alternative in Atlanta. He has helped me several times with getting the right equipment and trying stuff out in my own home. In fact just recently he posted my two channel pictures on his site with a blurb I wrote. Having a good relationship with my dealer has really paid off for me. There are times I can get a better deal, but the service is where it really pays back. For instance, I am getting a preamp from him but I have to wait for the 27th of this month to pay for it. So he decided he would let me go ahead and take it home before he closes for Christmas just so I could play with it over the holidays. There are several other times he has helped me out when something has broken etc. The only problem is he doesn't carry Martin Logans' and therefore I have to venture out if I want to upgrade speakers. Oh well, they can't all be perfect.:D

I wish I could say I had a favourite!

Some are better than others for different reasons, but I'm yet to find one that has that "complete" experience...

I've had excellent luck with my pal Kurt at Echo Audio here in Portland. He's more of a used dealer, but always has really cool stuff and he's a great guy.

The McIntosh Dealer in Portland, Pearl Audio really goes the extra mile. I wish they were a ML dealer!

The guys that sold me my first high end system back in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Audio Emporium are still in business and doing a great job after almost 30 years!

Well my favorite is Audio Unlimited here in Denver. John Barnes is a great guy who has never failed to just let me take stuff home to audition it in my system. Hmmm...come to think of it, he's got the big JM Lab Grande Utopia EM's from RMAF in his show room (house) right now. I wonder?????

Even though Audio Unlimited is run out of John's house, he's done it up right, adding 2 listening rooms in his basement and an additional 2 as full add on's to the house, including his main room which is somehwere around 20 x 40 with I'd say 14 ft. ceilings.

I've also had good dealings with Jim Kearns up at Listen Up's Boulder store.

Before sound advice was taken over by Tweeter, they had an awesome store in Naples, FL.

Lots of great gear - notably ML and Krell. Several rooms (low-end, mid priced, and then big $$).

The reps were well trained and very friendly. Sadly, I think the doors were closed recently.

I have many fond memories - that's the store where I first heard ML speakers.

Erik

Well my favorite is Audio Unlimited here in Denver. John Barnes is a great guy who has never failed to just let me take stuff home to audition it in my system. Hmmm...come to think of it, he's got the big JM Lab Grande Utopia EM's from RMAF in his show room (house) right now. I wonder?????

Even though Audio Unlimited is run out of John's house, he's done it up right, adding 2 listening rooms in his basement and an additional 2 as full add on's to the house, including his main room which is somehwere around 20 x 40 with I'd say 14 ft. ceilings.

I've also had good dealings with Jim Kearns up at Listen Up's Boulder store.

Tim - I think I talked to John. He was very nice and it was great hearing his opinions on different amps.

My experience is perhaps a bit different from others, since I live in a somewhat remote area.

As a result, I purchased my Summits, my Pass Labs amp, my Cary CDP, and my Dynalab XM tuner from different dealers.

Two things that all the above have in common.

All provided excellent service and all allowed a 30 day money back, less shipping costs.

My sense is that most dealers, given the speciality products they represent / sell, recognize their limited market and the importance of auditioning a component in one's own listening room.

If a hi end dealer does not recognize the importance of an in home audition with a money back option, I would question the professional integrity of that particular establishment.

Phono cartridges and a product that you are absolutely sure you want to purchase excluded.

GG

Back