Yamaha 1600 as temporary pre?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discocarp

Reaction score
If you followed my other thread, you know I decided to put off the summits and get a HT setup instead. The only change from before is I'll probably use frescos for the rears instead of my clarities (due to room logistics). Here's the plan:

2xVantage
Stage
2/4xFrescos (still wavering between 5 and 7 channel)
Descent i
Krell showcase amp

Can I save a little bit for the time being and use my existing yamaha 1600's preouts into the showcase amp? How badly will this color the sound? I'm trying to stay pretty close to my original budget and the showcase processor will blow it.

Other than the yamaha, how does all of this sound for a setup? Anything I missed or chose poorly?

Yes you can. It's a really good way to go without having to break the bank account all at once. I'm using my Denon AVR4800's to drive an outboard amp which powers my reQuests and it sounds quite good.

If your Yammy has a "Direct" setting this will mean the receiver is just passing the signal thru to the amp without doing anything to it.

My first system I had years ago was a yamaha proc. with a krell KAV-250 on a set of aerius i's. It worked great. I still have close to the same setup for my HT but no krell, I am using a fairly cheap Acurus 3 channel on the fronts. I does sound bright, but alot of that has to do with the room acoustics. It should work fine for you, but it will depend on how picky you are.

Thanks for the advice! Good to know I can save some cash, at least short term.

I will advise against using a Yammy 1600 as pre! I tried that with my own Yammy 1600 and D-200 amps. The combo sounded like a better Yammy 1600, that's all. After I replaced the Yammy pre the system sounded much improved. Only then was I hearing what the amps are capable of. See http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2749, post 17 and before.

I will advise against using a Yammy 1600 as pre! I tried that with my own Yammy 1600 and D-200 amps. The combo sounded like a better Yammy 1600, that's all. After I replaced the Yammy pre the system sounded much improved. Only then was I hearing what the amps are capable of. See http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2749, post 17 and before.

That's too bad, but not surprising really. I still think using the yamaha short term would be a great cost savings for me. The new pre would definately be the very first upgrade I go for though.

That's too bad, but not surprising really. I still think using the yamaha short term would be a great cost savings for me. The new pre would definately be the very first upgrade I go for though.
You stated, short term and since you are cash strapped, you have to do, what you have to do. If running the Yammy is your best option for now then so be it. While it is not the best solution, as some have noted, at least you will have music while you save up for a better Pre Amp.

Do not forget to look at Audiogon for some great deals on Pre's. You can get some really good prices on ARC, Cary, etc. and others you may be looking at.

Back