Woofer "buzz" on Summit

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
ML Amigos,

Need your observations. I recall reading about a "buzz" coming from the powered woofers on the Summits and Vantages on this wonderful site.

I just installed a new amp (Pass Labs 250.5) in my system and there's a definite low level (60HZ?) buzz coming out of both speaker woofer modules when I have the preamp sound muted with the amp and other source components powered up. The buzz is there regardless of the source component(s).

What's interesting is that I don't recall hearing this with my Classe CA150.

Anyone else experienced THE BUZZ?

G

Maybe it's a ground loop, or problem with your amp. Do you have another set of speakers (with decent bass output) to test if it's the Summits, or the source.

Mine does buzz, so long as it's powered up, even when the amp is off. But you've got to put your ear close to the grill to hear it.

I've yet to hear one that DOES NOT have a low level 'rumble', again according to conversations I had with Mr Powers, it's 'normal'. Personally I don't buy into the 'normal' theory but that is what he told me a year ago.

Well, mine has NO buzz or low level rumble whatsoever! Might depend on your amp, other sources. FYI, I've recently upgraded to Volex 17604 shielded power cords (~$6 ea online) which I am using on my Summits. Then again, I don't recall any buzz previously with the stock power cords.

Last edited:
My system with Pass X-250 & Pass X-1 pre does not make ANY noise whatsoever. NOTHING. SILENT. DEAD QUIET! Hmm.

Gordon can you swap back to the Classe? I wonder if there is a gain issue between your pass and pre.....if you swap and it's quiet call Pass.

ML Amigos,

Need your observations. I recall reading about a "buzz" coming from the powered woofers on the Summits and Vantages on this wonderful site.

I just installed a new amp (Pass Labs 250.5) in my system and there's a definite low level (60HZ?) buzz coming out of both speaker woofer modules when I have the preamp sound muted with the amp and other source components powered up. The buzz is there regardless of the source component(s).

What's interesting is that I don't recall hearing this with my Classe CA150.

Anyone else experienced THE BUZZ?

G

Is it any better Gordon?

FYI, I'm speaking with regards to the Vantage's. Bass driver amps obviouslly different on the Summitt's or later builds have the issue corrected possibly ???

Vantage owners , what do you hear ???

I think my Vantages had a buzz/rumble of some sort.. but the Summits I have now, I have not checked. I will check and see if it exists.

Joey

My Summits are very quite - no noise whatsoever...

I do hear a faint hum from my Summit woofers but I have to put my ear on the grill and really concentrate to hear it. I do not think it is a 60 Hz hum.

Gordon,

When the noise sources in my apartment are silent, I can hear "the buzz" from more than a foot away. I started a thread on this topic, too - it may be the one you remembered reading.

The noise occurs even without speaker cables and is therefore not caused by a ground loop.

I hope that it is caused by noise riding on my AC because I find it very hard to swallow that such amplifier activity should be "normal" in $5k speakers!

From the respones I have seen it may be a problem which is more common or at least more pronounced with Vantages than Summits.

FWIW, I just 'rechecked' my Vantage's and with my ear up to the grill it has a sound similar to that when you put ear to a large sea shell, in other words the soft sound of the ocean. I can tell you this, when I last checked, last spring maybe, the sound had a more pronounced 'rumble' to it. It is definetly more subdued now, regardless once the ear is more than a foot away I can't pick up a thing.

Maybe another follow-up to M/L is in order !

The noise from my Vantages sounds like what you described, Dave, only louder. Louder because they are younger?

Sorry to have bothered you all

Thank you all so much for the input. After investigating further, I found the problem and the "buzz" is gone. The issue was my interconnect between the preamp and the amp.

I have to say I am so impressed with the comraderie that exists on this site and the willingness of everyone to help solve an issue. It's trully amazing and I'm very proud to be a member of the ML Club.

Best regards and thank you all again.

Gordon

Gordon,
I am glad you found it. There is nothing more irritating than something small which should not be there.:eek: Now if I could get rid of the clicking sound from the washing machine in my center channel. LOL

Jeff:cool:

Latest posts

Back