Wood Floors...?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wings

Reaction score
My wife is pressing hard to get rid of the living room's (stereo room) carpet and replace with hardwood flooring planks.
I like the sound as it is currently and presume the wood floor will sound
somewhat brighter/livelier. (There is slab concrete under the carpet)
Have any members gone this route...or vise/versa ?

I have heard my Logans on wood floors and they sounded really nice to me even better than carpet. I think it kind of depends on how high your ceilings are and stuff like that.

You can always put a large area rug between your listening chair and the speakers.

I've had wood floors for the last nine years and that's what I, along with others, have done.

Aesthetically, the rug creates a nice visual contrast and accentuates the grain in the floor. And as the Dude says, the rug will tie the room together.

I wouldn't be concerned, and as Fish said, you may prefer the the sonic "bump" that the floor will provide.

GG

Last edited:
The room has got to be balanced as a whole. One thing's for sure - it will change the sound. All things being equal, carpet is usually better. How many hi-fi shops do you see with hard floors? You could always get a nice, heavy rug for the floor. The main thing is to have the area between the speakers and your listening position carpeted so that you don't get any early reflections.

We just removed all the carpet in our house, except for the guest bedroom. We put down mahongany in the living room with my 2-channel rig and teak in the den with my home theater. Both rooms have an area rug between the speakers and the listening area to keep reflections down.

If you look at my system #101 you're notice I have hardwood floors and an area rug between the setting chair and the speakers. I think it's a great combination.

Back