Wilson Audio

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peregrin

Reaction score
Has anyone heard any Wilson Audio speakers? Does their sound justify their price?

Just curious...

I'm confident many folks on this forum have heard the Wilson line and you will get a broad range of opinions regarding their value. And then you have to decipher value versus model.

I think we can all agree that David Wilson is a very acute business person who has created a sales strategy, along with ads and dealerships, that promote the brand quite well.

Having heard numerous models over the years, my sense is that they make a good product but, IMHO, are over priced. However, as with all things audio, value is a very relative, personal judgment.

If you like a particular model and wish to purchase, watch for it on Audiogon. There are many used models available for 30 to 50 cents on the dollar.

GG

I'm confident many folks on this forum have heard the Wilson line and you will get a broad range of opinions regarding their value. And then you have to decipher value versus model.

I think we can all agree that David Wilson is a very acute business person who has created a sales strategy, along with ads and dealerships, that promote the brand quite well.

Having heard numerous models over the years, my sense is that they make a good product but, IMHO, are over priced. However, as with all things audio, value is a very relative, personal judgment.

If you like a particular model and wish to purchase, watch for it on Audiogon. There are many used models available for 30 to 50 cents on the dollar.

GG

+1. I agree. If I had that kind of money, I don't think Wilson would be in the equation. But many people swear by them.

Many people love them, but I've never heard any from of enchanting sound from the Sophia to the Maxx 2 / Alexandria.

Give me ADAM, Avalon, Gryphon any day.

The best I've ever heard Wilson speakers sound was in Dave Wilson's living room and his office. He has X-2's at home and Sophia's in his office. Both sounded very impressive.

I think the reason Wilson turns so many people off to their speakers is that they always play them so incredibly loud at show demos, it turns a lot of people away.

Like any very high performance speaker, it's a lot easier to get it wrong with the setup than right. The CLX is no different. I've heard them sound mediocre to awful in a lot of demos, but I know they are capable of sounding fantastic.

But for my money, I'll keep my GamuT S-9's.....

Has anyone heard any Wilson Audio speakers? Does their sound justify their price?

Just curious...

Great question. I heard a few different pairs at CES earlier this year, and was non-plussed for the most part. Of course, there were many variables involved, including different ancilliary gear, room acoustics, etc., so one can hardly fairly blame the speakers.

However, one room that did very much impress me was Lamm Industries', where they used Wilson Audio MAXX 3s.

I've usually found them to sound pretty damned good! A lot of money though, don't know if the performance:value ratio is good enough though, even if I had the dough.

Very nice speakers but until I heard their new Sasha never felt they were very refined...they will play loud though and stay uncompressed but from what I hear the JBL DD66000 may be the champ :rocker: in that category.

I've heard the Wilson Watt/Puppy combinations a number of times and attended a listening event where I heard the MAXX 3. I liked the sound of the Watt/Puppy combination when there was a great recording on, but it made marginal CDs sound like crap. I was told garbage in, garbage out by the audio salon. However, I have a lot of not so great recordings that I really enjoy listening to and my MLs make them sound decent. I was greatly excited to hear the MAXX 3 and was totally disappointed by the sound, it was so sterile that there was no involvement in the music. Hard to justify $70K for that kind of response, or lack there of.

I think they are extreemly dependant on partnering equipment. I've never been a huge fan, but do appreciate the engineering that goes into them. The first ones I've ever heard that made me contemplate the idea of spending money on them were the Sasha's that were playing at RMAF this past fall through a full Audio Research setup. I spent a LOT of time in front of them that day, some of the best sound at the show in my book.

Attachments

• 12-Wilson03.jpg
    12-Wilson03.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 872
Last edited:
Totally with Tim.

Big Krells = nooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Ouch!

Big ARCs = yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

I'd wager big Jadis = yesssssssssssssssss too.

Big tubes, really, and they should sound pretty good.

Dave Wilson has the big VTL tube monos in his living room and Wadia Tube monoblocks in his office. That's the best I've ever heard Wilson speakers sound!

Give me MBL 101's! Any of them! I have 101a's and they are AMAZING! I can't even imagine the 101e (I think that is the current spec anyway)!

When I was new to high end audio, I had gotten the impression from reading multiple different forums that Wilson speakers are the de facto "best" in the world. However, now that I've heard a lot of different setups, including two or three different models of Wilsons, my opinion is that while they sound quite good they are by no means the best I've ever heard.

Wilson speakers no doubt are the best to the people that own them, as are the CLX's...

However, reading Wilson's ad copy, it certainly makes you think that they are the world's best speakers, and that it's terribly unfortunate that you can't reach this conclusion. I'm always amused by their ads. Really written in a pompous, dismissive 70's style, like "how could you be so ignorant to not want a pair of Wilson speakers?"

Just like any other very high performance product, there is a lot of engineering behind Wilson Audio, but there are probably about 12-20 ultra high performance speakers out there (maybe a few more).

They all provide a different experience. The best one is the one you enjoy the most. For some it will be Wilson, for others it will be something else.

At least Wilson Audio stays true to the ideals that the company was founded on. Many years later they still have the same owner with the commitment to produce exclusive high end speakers. They are sold in specialty retail channels only and have never produced anything other than products that are manufactured in the USA.
I admire a company that chooses quality over quantity and is where most speaker manufacturers begin, but rarely end.

I've heard a number of the latest Wilson speakers. I was very impressed, The sound they produce cannot be faulted. A perfect 10. A few hi-fi salesmen here in the UK have complained that generally Wilsons are a bit too in your face for comfort though. Unfortunately I reckon Wilson speakers are completely overpriced. Martin Logan models give you the same level of performance for a fraction of the price.

just came from an open house at a local high end store that was showing off the wilson sasha and duette. while the vocals sounded very natural they seemed to overpower the mids and the bass.. while super tight and responsive did not have nearly the presence I prefer. I didnt even look at the prices as I wanted an unbiased listen... I still prefer my ascents!!but then I pair them with additional subwoofage too!:rocker:

I say go give em a listen.. everyone like what they like.. I think if you are looking for that "acoustic live" sound they do a damn fine job. keeping in mind I still have no clue as to the price!:D

my $.02

My turn!

Some of you older members may know whom I am since I don't post here that often anymore. I've had the unique opportunity to have owned Sequel II's and then Odyssey's which I still have posted in the member section. I now own Wilson Watt Puppy 7's and Sophias. I have always been a die hard electrostatic speaker lover even having owned Acoustat 2+2's before obtaining the Sequels. I can honestly say that I never thought that I would own a pair of Wislon speakers due to the fact that as others have mentioned that they never sounded just right. In the past I would always pay a visit to my friend Brooks Berdan and constantly criticize the "brightness" on some recordings that I had heard in past versions of the Watt/Puppy. That all changed on day at Brooks' store when he played the WP/7's on the big VTL monoblocks. Wilsons do sound at their best on tube amps.

For the first time I heard the WP/7's actually portray an image that reminded me of my panels. The major difference was with the taller image height that the Martin Logans were producing. The WP'7's were as smooth as silk and what really changed my mind was that fact that they were so dynamic in their overall presentation. Not the "in your face" sound that some people have described them as doing. Just portrayed the soundstage evenly across with the same "depth" that my Logans were/are known for but with more authority! I still think the Martin Logans produce a bit more inner detail with violins compared to the Watt Puppy 7's but that's just my opinion. The Wilsons will give you "garbage in garbage out" which is what I needed to hear. Not all recordings sound good.

Are they "overpriced"? Not for me because I got an excellent deal. For others maybe they are. But let me ask you this. If you told your non audiophile friends how much you paid for your Martin Logans don't you think you'd get a similar response?

Latest posts

Back