Will adding power amplifier improve my sound?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony T

Reaction score
Here is what I have: ML Vista fronts, Motif center, ML montage surround and I am using Rotel RSX-1067 receiver. My room is 16' x 18' . I am looking to get a used Rotel rmb 1095, Sunfire cinema grand or Cary Audio cinema 5, all at 200wpc @ 8ohm. Will adding an amplifier bring out my system or am I wasting my money? I listen to 2 channel music sometime but mostly watch movies, any imput is greatly appreciated

Hi Tony,

Depends on the amp but I would think any of those choices would outperform your receiver.

Just remember all amps are not created equal even though the numbers may look the same.

GG

PS: I believe I recently saw a multi-channel Sunfire on Audiogon. May want to check it out.

Last edited:
Consider one of the new NAD multi channel integrated amplifiers. The T787 features two toroidal transformers with one of them dedicated to the front channel speakers. There's also the T777 which has great specs but a little lower in power. The new amplifiers are not really 'surround sound receivers' a such. They don't do much processing.

I had the RSX-1067 and thought it may drive the Vista's at all to nice levels, I found it a bit bright (at least when I ran it with the Clarity's) and that it could get pretty hot. i moved to the RX-1560 and the overall frequency response was a lot smoother for my taste.
As far as adding an amp for the Vista's, I'd say give it a try. Find a dealer where you can demo an amp and give it a try. You may find that you have better dynamics and a little different frequency response. I initially bought a Rotel 1572 given my experience with the 1067 but after moving and not having it hooked up for a while, i found no difference and eventually sold it.

I would love to get the Cary Audio cinema 5 amp in my system and its never a waste of money to get a good amp. That,s a great amp that will improve any system its hooked up to. If you can afford that Cary then forget your other choices

Thanks you guys for the inputs, another question, can I use my Rotel RSX-1067 as a preamp/processor with any of the Amplifier I mentioned above or just any added Amp in general or should I get a seperate processor?

I would love to get the Cary Audio cinema 5 amp in my system and its never a waste of money to get a good amp. That,s a great amp that will improve any system its hooked up to. If you can afford that Cary then forget your other choices

I agree with this. I haven't heard the Rotel in quite some time, but to my ears the Cary is clearly superior to the Sunfire.

Thanks you guys for the inputs, another question, can I use my Rotel RSX-1067 as a preamp/processor with any of the Amplifier I mentioned above or just any added Amp in general or should I get a seperate processor?

As long as your Rotel has Pre amp outputs, yes it would work with any of the amps. Your upgrade path is pretty typical actually. I'd say get the amp first, live with it for awhile and then as funds allow start looking at new processors. Use a scientific method and only introduce one new variable at a time, otherwise you'll never really understand the synergy of the equipment.

Thanks for all the inputs, I end up buying the Cary Cinema 5 and hook everything up today, test it out for about 5 minutes and heard some improvement in my sound. The Rotel make my music a little bright, hope I get a chance to watch a movie tomorrow and see how it goes. Maybe a processor will be my next investment or I just need to learn to twitch my Rotel a little more, what you guys think?

Thanks for all the inputs, I end up buying the Cary Cinema 5 and hook everything up today, test it out for about 5 minutes and heard some improvement in my sound. The Rotel make my music a little bright, hope I get a chance to watch a movie tomorrow and see how it goes. Maybe a processor will be my next investment or I just need to learn to twitch my Rotel a little more, what you guys think?

Hi Tony, if you want to really go to the next level, you would do far better with a surround pre-processor rather than go out of the preamp outputs of the Rotel. There are many on the market but for the money, the Marantz AV 7005 (list $1599 but usually heavily discounted) is a top-notch performer. Going to the next level would involve the Classe SSP-800 ($9000) or the Bryston SP-3 (about the same price), given the price differential makes the Marantz an even better deal.

Thank you babydoc, but after purchasing the Cary Amp, my cash flow is low so $1599 for the Marantz is out of my budget for now. What you think about getting a use Krell HTS 2 or a Rotel rsp-1098 processor at around 1/2 the Marantz price for now then save up for something better later on?

Back