Why no warranty on used ML?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tav1

Reaction score
This question should probably go to ML, but I'll throw it out here for discussion. I never could understand why ML does not offer a transferable warranty to the second owner. Suppose someone wants to upgrade after 1 year, the new owner can't get the balance of the 5 year warranty. It seems value would be added for the new owner and that it would be an easier sale if the warranty could be transfered. Why does ML treat their own used product as an abandoned child?

Also, why does ML have the BOLD "A WARNING TO ALL CUSTOMERS" on nearly every page of their website. Kinda intimidating! If their dealers are selling online, and they are not authorized,(and the only company authorized is Amazon, of all companies!) they should be reined in by ML. Don't hold the purchaser responsible for something prohibited by their own dealers.

I hope all of this is not too controversial, but these are just my thoughts. Perhaps I think too much!

Torry V.

This question should probably go to ML, but I'll throw it out here for discussion. I never could understand why ML does not offer a transferable warranty to the second owner. Suppose someone wants to upgrade after 1 year, the new owner can't get the balance of the 5 year warranty. It seems value would be added for the new owner and that it would be an easier sale if the warranty could be transfered. Why does ML treat their own used product as an abandoned child?

Actually it is quite simple. ML makes a mechanical product and they can not be sure of the condition of the product when sold on the used market. There are companies that have transferable warranties (TW) but they only apply, I believe, to electronic components which are inevitably more reliable than mechanicals. How about a TW on a phono cartridge or a turntable, a CD player or a Blu-Ray, I don't think so and for the same reasons.

Also, why does ML have the BOLD "A WARNING TO ALL CUSTOMERS" on nearly every page of their website. Kinda intimidating! If their dealers are selling online, and they are not authorized,(and the only company authorized is Amazon, of all companies!) they should be reined in by ML. Don't hold the purchaser responsible for something prohibited by their own dealers.

Actually, this policy protects the dealers who on handling their business properly, the consumer, and Martin Logan. The dealer is protected by not having to demo product than get undercut by some internet scumbag w/o the overhead who is simply selling on price. The consumer is protected by not buying gray market product w/o a warranty, sold by who knows who, and finally ML is protected from negative publicity and add'l cost of dealing with a large gray market, among other reasons.

You make a valid argument. I would suggest a "toned down" message for the warranty message though, such as: "Important Warranty Information".

ML could offer the warranty, pending no physical damage or abuse.

Even better idea. Allow the warranty to transfer if the units are inspected by an authorized dealer...for a small fee of course. This can be a marketing tool for both ML and the dealer.

You make a valid argument. I would suggest a "toned down" message for the warranty message though, such as: "Important Warranty Information".

I don't see why it is not transferable - physical damage and abuse have never been covered by the ML warranty or any other warranty of which I'm aware, so it appears to me to be a non-issue. Abuse and physical damage would not be covered for even the original owner. We're talking about faults in workmanship here - for that it doesn't matter whether you are the first or 20th owner.

This I can tell you Very few if any Electronics (Excluding Bryston) transfer warranty. Matter of fact very few if any other companies do too.

Martin Logan has the single best customer service of any company I have dealt with. They go WAY out of their way to service a 20 year old speaker. If you had a problem with a used speaker that was in warranty time frame , (they know by the model and serial number when and what month and what year it was built) ,You would be surprised at how they handle things. Most companies make it hard to get parts after a certain amount of time . Discontinuing them so they some what re assure their new sales. I find it perfectly fine and if I had a company manufacturing products I would not transfer warranty either.

If you are worried about buying a used set at the much larger discount than new pay the extra and get your warranty and quit complaining. Don't come on a Forum and complain about a policy practiced by most in this industry. Especially a company with as good of a customer service as Martin Logan has . May bee you need some Bose with a warranty ! :rolleyes:

ML Warranty

I don't think he was complaining but asking a question.I think that all companies should honor warranties such as Bryston.If you are confident in the quality of the product,there is no issue.ML has had some quality issues lately that has been brought up by many members of this site.If you buy a pair of 1 year old speakers,they should honor the warranty for panels and electronics to the next owner.I would understand if obviously the speakers were abused by the owners and were not covered.Only my opinion.:music:

As a long-time ML owner, I have NO complaints about their lack of transferable warranty. I purchased a USED pair of Summits (only way I could afford them at the time), fully aware that I might have to pay out of pocket should problems arise. I've since called ML twice with questions, and they were always more than helpful. *IF* they ever need repair, I know ML will stand behind them, and charge me a FAIR price. I've had other electrical devices fail UNDER WARRANTY, and it still ended up costing me significant $$. In fact, I'll NEVER again buy a Sony camera or Panasonic camcorder, based on the poor customer service I received from them! (I did buy a Sony XBR4 HDTV, but with a 4 year full-service warranty).

Its quite simple. If they offered a transferable warranty then the increased cost of supporting a transferable warranty would be reflected in an increased cost of a new speaker.

Its quite simple. If they offered a transferable warranty then the increased cost of supporting a transferable warranty would be reflected in an increased cost of a new speaker.

Good point. Warranty is a legal obligation which carries substantial penalties in many states if it is not honored by the company. I do not blame them for not offering one and would not advise them to do so because of legal costs involved. That said, ML has been very helpful to second owners who have needed help or repairs and it has been reported these repairs were done for little or no money. Just because they do not have to do it does not mean they never do it.;) One option might be for ML to consider the Krell route. Krell will honor the remainder of the original warranty to a second buyer if he buys the used unit from a Krell authorized dealer.

Well, it looks like we have both camps represented here. Those that think ML should have a transferable warranty & those that think it’s a bad idea. And 1 person who apparently does not like my post, thinks I'm complaining, I should not use the forum to express my opinion, and I should buy Bose! Yikes!

This was my first post here other than my introduction and I'm disappointed by part of my reception. I thought the forum was for asking questions, and stating opinion.

Just for the record, I'll say again that I think ML should stand by their product in terms of a transferable warranty and modify their "Warning to All Customers" to be more friendly. And I love ML stuff as much as the next guy and have no doubt as to their customer service being very good. My MLs are 10-15 years old and I never had a problem. My original post was really suggestions worded in the form of questions and is just my humble opinion.

In the big picture of life....it really does not matter if ML offers the warranty, what is on their website, or what anyone’s opinion is.

Torry V.

Given the litigious nature of our nation, I sure don't blame them for not offering it 'officially'. As has been noted, there is big exposure, some of which might not be covered by simply upping costs.

In any case, MartinLogan treats users of their products right, whether first owner or not. They have superior service, reasonable pricing on maintenance or repair items and in my experience, one of the better overall values in audio when looked at as TCO over a decade or more.

I would not hesitate to buy a 1 year old speaker from someone and won't worry about happens on year three. I know the factory would do the right thing (excluding obvious user abuse, of course).

Back