Why does Stereophile not recommend a single Martin Logan speaker?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's pretty cool, Scott, well done, though I have a bit of an embarassed smile on my face concerning the "are they deaf?" quote of my original post appearing on the Stereophile board... don't worry about it, though!

They obviously all need to get together for a beer and make friends...

Also, however much ML may like to disagree, there will always be an issue with mating dynamic drivers with ESLs. And ML know it - which is why the CLS and CLX exist.

No matter how much they try to reduce the disparity between the dynamic and ESL drivers, there will always be a difference in the sonic signature between the two. I think it's acceptable, but many do not.

So IMO, they shouldn't get upset with such criticisms. But then it doesn't make for good press, and I can't disagree with that.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with saying how you feel.

So now how does it feel to know you asked JA if he was deaf and getting a response?

I think it's awesome!

Actually he responds to quite a lot of questions on that board with straight answers.

Last edited:
It feels :eek::D:devil::cool::ROFL:

Still, User211, just who is he, anyway (meaning me, of course)?

Last edited:
It feels :eek::D:devil::cool::ROFL:

Still, User211, just who is he, anyway (meaning me, of course)?

"We all sit in a circle and suppose
while the secret(meaning you, of course) sits in the center and knows"

Robert Frost

EDIT: my parentheses.

Last edited:
I just read the reveiw of the Montage. Geez, I'd love to know ML's side of the story.

It's essentially a very positive reveiw - let's not forget this was not a review of the Summit or CLX - it's a low end speaker for eff's sake!

There must have been something really specific to which ML objected!

I kind of read it like this:

Well, we got these speakers from ML, and they didn't work properly (not a good sell for reliability), so we fixed them ourselves.

Then, we needed to put some damping material on them, and then we noticed that when you crank up the volume, the whole thing vibrates too much.

Not good really, but then the review does have some positive points. And as you point out amey01, it is not an expensive design.

Is it worth falling out with S'phile, though? I guess we'll never know the finer details, but it seems a shame.

Last edited:
I used to subscribe to Stereophile in the old days and their very first review of the CLS was spot on ...over the years they seem to have developed an incestual relationship with a couple manufacturers and now they seem to review only these "5" manufacturers on an alternating monthly basis...what they say is "good" is generally is good but they continue to hold onto the analog bug which IMHO is past prime time and work it into almost evey review. They also continue to drool over Levinson and Wilson when other companies are producing as good and often better equipment at prices a log less...it gets old real fast. I have had the pleasure of hearing $100,000 speakers and no one could call them bad but after hearing the Statement E2 you start looking into the box ie: what drivers/crossovers they are using and wonder "where's the beef".

I used to subscribe to Stereophile in the old days and their very first review of the CLS was spot on ...over the years they seem to have developed an incestual relationship with a couple manufacturers and now they seem to review only these "5" manufacturers on an alternating monthly basis...what they say is "good" is generally is good but they continue to hold onto the analog bug which IMHO is past prime time and work it into almost evey review. They also continue to drool over Levinson and Wilson when other companies are producing as good and often better equipment at prices a log less...it gets old real fast. I have had the pleasure of hearing $100,000 speakers and no one could call them bad but after hearing the Statement E2 you start looking into the box ie: what drivers/crossovers they are using and wonder "where's the beef".

With respect, if you feel that analog is "past its prime", you've not heard a properly set up decent turntable/arm/cartridge. At its best, analog is superior to digital at its best.

Compare a 1k turntable/arm/cartridge set up with the most expensive cd player you can find and see which one wins!

Ill compare a $1000 analog setup to an iPod, Wadia i170 and a 500 dollar channel islands DAC and take the digital setup any day.

Sorry, digital's come a long way.

I still love analog, but unless I can have really good analog, it's not that compelling.

Ill compare a $1000 analog setup to an iPod, Wadia i170 and a 500 dollar channel islands DAC and take the digital setup any day.

I still love analog, but unless I can have really good analog, it's not that compelling.
So what is the minimum analog you require in order to enjoy it ? Besides just dollar value here, I am wondering about brands and models.

Way off topic... http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7372 is closer...

Anyway, to close this thread up once and for all, I find Hi-Fi World's list of recommended components at lot more interesting than Stereophile's list - because it doesn't care if items are no longer produced. It's a list of all time classics. I used to have this thing about hi-fi shows a while back. I used to walk out thinking - hold on a minute - generally, the best sounding rooms were using the oldest technologies - vinyl, tube amps etc.:eek:

I still love analog, but unless I can have really good analog, it's not that compelling.[/QUOTE
Jeff,
What is the starting point for digital matching a $1000. analog rig and what is your starting point for really good analog playback.
thanks,
Jim

LMFAO!!!!!

Do a comparison, let your own ears be the judge!

They have been the judge. Granted, I do get a certain allure out of vinyl which is why I have vinyl in my system. But hi-fi it is not. (on my system, anyway).

I've heard some pretty impressive vinyl setups, but so have I heard some pretty impressive digital setups. I'm not saying that the vinyl sounded better, but even if it did, when you realise what is involved in getting that sort of sound it's a case of "why the heck bother" for me.

I've heard some pretty impressive vinyl setups, but so have I heard some pretty impressive digital setups. I'm not saying that the vinyl sounded better, but even if it did, when you realise what is involved in getting that sort of sound it's a case of "why the heck bother" for me.
I have difficulty with the concept of deciding that you want to listen to analog or digital. What I listen to is based upon what format the music I want to listen to is in my collection, as I cannot afford to duplicate all of my music, and in any case I have a lot of stuff that is not available in digital form. So, "why the heck bother" applies when the music I want to listen to is on an LP, not on CD. Conversely, even though I think that analog is superior to digital, I frequently listen to a lot of digital just because of the music.

Latest posts

Back