Why Center at all??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AKM3

Have you verified that all three speakers are in phase? What you describe can also be caused by a phase issue.

Obviously I paid attention to phase, but you never know. I'll verify it thanks for the suggestion!

Also from a previous suggestion, I'll break out the good olé radio shack meter and verify my channel balance as well.

Obviously I paid attention to phase, but you never know. I'll verify it thanks for the suggestion!

Also from a previous suggestion, I'll break out the good olé radio shack meter and verify my channel balance as well.

This has been an interesting and also useful thread. I would definitely agree that when you are listening to true 5.1 or 7.1 DVD/BD sources, the discrete center channel information has been added to the mix to keep the dialogue focused. Going to a 2-channel format with or without "matrix" or some other blended mode may provide some anomalies where the voices wander or are our of proportion to the rest of the soundtrack. The key to getting good integration of speakers, besides selecting those that are compatible with the primary L/R, lies in the configuration of the surround processor. It looks like you are using an older Lexicon with older algorithms for getting this job done. I would suggest that you consider upgrading to a "newer" model such as the MC-8 or MC-12 depending on your need for zones or balanced operation. I have used a MC-12B HD.Eq for years with excellent results. The newer Lexicons also feature a terrific EQ program that will help with room issues. I have recently gone to a Theta Digital Casablanca IIIHD because it will handle 4K and 3D sources. In either case, whatever processor you go with, getting the center/L/R set up to work well, requires a lot of adjustment of relative sound levels, crossover points and....placement. While the ideal scenario would be to have all speakers be the same, this is usually impractical with larger panels. Although it took a few weeks to get my CLXs and Stage X to "click," part of which time spent in burning in the Stage X, I was rewarded with some impressive 5.1 channel playback with well-recorded BDs. This gets to the last point. Well-recorded discs will not have channel anomalies such as overbearing center channel data or weak L/R data. However, it has been my experience as a professional reviewer that all discs are not created equal. I would suggest that you look at optimizing your system for balance, placement, and, if possible EQ, and then enjoy the really good 5.1 stuff that is out there. With disc rentals or streaming you are spared the disappointment of having a disc that you bought with sonics that would make it most useful as a coaster for your favorite beverage.

I'm happy to report I was kind of totally wrong on this. With further experimentation, I was having boundry effect issues by having my Center channel too low, a position somewhat dictated by the TV. When I raised it up on a chair in front of the TV, the sound improved *dramatically*. No center still seems slightly smoother and clearer if you are in the sweet spot, but overall it's just better to have it on in more situations.

Now I need to figure out a way to get it moved up and mounted properly. Maybe I'll have to buy a new TV. :)

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Back