Who uses Audyssey?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jk319

Reaction score
Hey guys, me again. I've never owned an Audyssey system, and I have just recently learned about the benefits of "time domain" correction of "overhang" as opposed to level adjustment from one seating position. As I recently blew a ton of money on my new rig, and so far am successful at fighting off Joeyitis during this short period of time, I still am tempted to trade-in my pre/pro for an upgraded one later this year. I want to know if some of you thought that Audyssey was as a strong of a selling point in a pre/pro as some other audiophiles do.

I had been mildly considering a BM unit, but some people think that it might be unnecessary with Audyssey. The $600 bucks that would go towards a new SMS-1 unit could pay for over half my entire pre/pro upgrade to something like the new NAD T-175. Thoughts, experiences, input? Thanks again people.

Follow up q about specific freq

Didn't want to start a different thread, but this is a slight tangent:

I believe I have a specific bloom/boost at C# and D above middle C, for you music people. I am totally guesstimating that this is somewhere around 580hz to 630hz. Everything else is pretty flat for stereo music to my ears. Anyone have a cost-effective solution? Any eq to recommend for this specific issue?

Audyssey works. Period. And it works well. It does exactly what it claims to do. Tom Holman is a genius and the Audyssey technology is genius...a long time in the making, and loads of testing, programming, testing, programming, testing, etc. went into it.

Is it the end-all answer to room acoustics for everyone? Of course not. But it does a damn fine job at making a big difference. It was especially designed for use in home theater systems, but I dont see why one couldnt use it in 2 channel. Maybe with enough demand, they might be willing to build a smaller, less expensive, 2.1 model for the 2 channel guys. :)

Thanks for your input Audiophiliac.

I have been in contact with a very experienced hobbyist and reviewer who says he would simply use the Audyssey without buying a BM if in my shoes. He mentioned the possibilty of a parametric EQ, and depending on its quality, the additional A-D and D-A conversions may or may not be noticeable. He went on to say that if I was wrong about the frequencies mentioned, I could easily make the sound worse rather than better (basically implying to use equipment). Finally that these particular frequencies are between 21 to 23 inches in wavelength, and that it would do no good for listeners besides me. So, he recommends that I wait for the T-175.

Anyways, as a side note, I only recently noticed that my refurbed pre/pro fails to matrix 2.0, as the front right and rear right fail. Not that I care about this feature much but *just another excuse to upgrade :p

I have a Denon 4306 receiver with Audyssey. It works great! According to most reviews, Audyssey is probably the best one out there in terms of room auto-equalization. Yamaha's YPAO is also good, but it only takes signal from one sitting position...Audyssey takes it from 6-8 sitting positions.

Thanks Thai.

Hey, did you ever consider (or have you already) trying the Audyssey for just the stereo fronts (and maybe sub)? Just curious. Obviously they are taken into account in an HT setup, but I think I would be more forgiving of explosions from the rear not being perfectly level if it got my stereo that little bit better. Just an idea...

For stereo, i turn it off. I don't want anything to mess around with my two Vantages.

Thai, I can understand that philosophy. But, have you tried it? Did it actually sound worse to your ears? Curious for information regarding my own future :)

Thai, I can understand that philosophy. But, have you tried it? Did it actually sound worse to your ears? Curious for information regarding my own future :)

To be honest, i have not tried it. I think that i read somewhere (either on internet or in manual) that you should turn it off if you're listening to stereo.

How'd you come upon this unit? How much is it?

p.s. Thai, thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

How'd you come upon this unit? How much is it?

p.s. Thai, thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Forgot to mention above, when listening to CD's, i use PURE DIRECT mode on my Denon receiver. Therefore, what signal CD's send out, the Denon bypasses all processing mode and put out exactly what it receives from the CD. In this mode, i do not want any further processing by the Audyssey chip.

The Audyssey really works, especially the Pro versions with the PC-based setup.

The Lyngdorf should also be pretty good, as Peter was heavily involved with TacT, which well known for their room correction systems.

You would not believe the difference a good RC will do for your sound. It won't perform miracles, but when you turn it off, you immediately will want to turn it back on.

Thai, I'd highly recommend using Audyssey even on 2ch. What you might gain from 'direct' you give right back up (and a whole lot more) to room modes and what not.

Last edited:
I appreciate your experienced input Jon. Another solid confirmation. If and whenever I get RC, I'll post my thoughts :D

Back