Which way to go?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrat

Reaction score
if you happened to read my earlier cartridge post titled cartridge quest

I am itching for a further upgrade
looking at either phono preamp or table upgrade
Current Table is Pro-ject 1.2 with speedbox II and acrylic platter
Current Phono Pre is the PhonoBox II
I really am unsure as to which would yield the better sonic upgrade
If I go for a table it would have to be local as I am not taking a chance on getting it shipped not to mention I don't like messing with cartridge set up
Suggestions?Ideas?Comments?

Wjat sort of budget do you have in mind, and how many records? I prefer to do "big" upgrades, if only to save $$$ in the long term.

Wjat sort of budget do you have in mind, and how many records? I prefer to do "big" upgrades, if only to save $$$ in the long term.

less than 2k budget if I go with a table...less than 1k if go for phono pre
how many records? hmm about 750 and growing...in the last week I have picked up about 75 or so

You're gonna want to upgrade both eventually, but those budgets are quite useful. I'd say check out turntables from Rega, Pro-Ject, Music Hall, Clearaudio, and VPI. $2K should get you a reasonable turntable, arm, and cartridge.

For a $1K phono stage, I'd investigate the Sutherland Ph3D.

My advise is to continue with your present TT while continuing your savings for a new rig with a bigger budget. IMO, a much more cost effective approach in the long run.

I've been starting to think about upgrading my Project Debut turntable and seem to be leaning towards the Marantz TT-15 (? on model #). It's a Clearaudio table, retails for ~$1600 US with cartridge and appears to be a good value.

I'd tend tp go along with Dave. 750 albums is a significant investment in the format.

My own bias is for Michell kit. Check my system page. Wait til you can afford at least a Gyrodec as a minimum, then you can upgrade it to almost Orbe status later. If you can pair it with a Tecnoarm, so much the better.

These decks LAST - buy one and die with it:)

Just done my bit for UK marketing...:)

For 2 weeks I lost my mind and was thinking of adding a TT to my system. I got a chance to listen to a few TT one with a CJ Premier 15 phono pre and one with a Sutherland PhD. I liked the sound of both very much. The Sutherland runs on I think 16 D batteries and it did sound very good. A two weeks later I came back to my senses.

My advise is to continue with your present TT while continuing your savings for a new rig with a bigger budget. IMO, a much more cost effective approach in the long run.

That really does not apply as I am not "saving" for anything what I wish to spend is not going to change
From some initial research into `Tables it would appear the VPI Scout,
Mitchell Tecnodec,Nottingham Innerspace,project perspective all fall under 2k anything else to consider?

I'd spend the money on the Scout - they're on sale an Music Direct right now. As you have more funds you can upgrade all the way to Super Scout Master status and have a table that is arguably almost as good as their flagship HRX.

I'd spend the money on the Scout - they're on sale an Music Direct right now. As you have more funds you can upgrade all the way to Super Scout Master status and have a table that is arguably almost as good as their flagship HRX.

I agree with going for the Scout at this price point. A little over a year ago I bought a Scout and throughly enjoyed it. The upgrade path is always an option as this is what I did to a ScoutMaster. All you have to do is call VPI and arrange for them to receive your turntable and they will upgrade it and send it back. A pretty painless process and a very nice option for the future. Then from there, if you desire, you can add the ring, center weight, and SDS. If your budget allows I would suggest getting the Scout Signature, but even if this is not and doable I do not believe that you will be dissappointed. Good luck and have fun!:D

Back