Which way to go?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wartman

Reaction score
My name is Paul from Australia and new to this forum.

I am in the process of buying a stereo sound system.
So far I have 4 options for speakers to fit into my budget, these are in AUD.

1. ML Purity new $5000.00
2. ML Clarity ex demo $4000.00
3. ML SL3 $3500.00 used
4. ML Source $3000.00 new

There is no way of listening to these speakers side by side, so some input from you experts would be appreciated.

Regards,
Paul

Hi Paul - welcome to the forum.

I assume the SL3 and Clarity are at Audio Connection in Sydney. Are you able to get them side by side with an amp close to what you will use.

The SL3 may be tired and need its panels replacing which unfortunately in Australia is a costly exercise.

I am unable to make a realistic comment on which may be better - how big is your room. Have you got an amplifier in mind? What sort of volume do you wish to generate?

Fun and games - the forum can provide you with a few ideas but in the end you will have to listen yourself. I understand distance may potentially preclude that option.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,
The room is 6 metres x 8 metres, ceiling 2.7 metres high.
I had the NAD C 165 Bee pre-amp and NAD C275 Bee amplifier in mind, only because I have an attachment to NAD.
I am not chasing huge volumes. although it would be nice if it was available for the odd times.

Paul

Hello from the Gold Coast.

I too assume you're talking about AudioConnection. You need to get there and have a listen to them all. Nothing will replace that. But I've got a few thoughts:

* The Purity is amplified so an amplifier will be irrelevant
* The SL3 may need panel replacement. Check the serial number of the panels and then compare to the serial number decoder on this website. That will tell you their age. Now that won't tell you how they've been treated, but if they still sound good and are less than five years old then go for them. If not, be wary.
* Definitely choose the SL3 over the Source and Clarity (if your listening confirms this - it may not). But bear this in mind - the SL3 is a serious high-end model. The others are budget models.
* A NAD amplifier may be inadequate to drive 'stat panels in the long term. Again, listen and confirm this.

Speaking from experience, I tried a Rotel 1090 with my old Aeirus and it was awful! If you listen to the NAD, also try something older/SH from Classé, Krell, Mark Levinson, ARC, et al. IE. Serious stuff. You might get a shock at what a difference it makes!!!!!! It's not about volumes - it's about stability into low-impedance loads.

The preamp is less crucial because it's not affected/connected to the panels. If you like the NAD, go for it.

As an example of outstanding power amp value, have a look on the AudioConnection website at the Classé Model 25 for $4500 or the ARC VS55 for $3000!!

That's not to take away from the NAD - just that 'stat panels are a pretty hard/serious load on an amplifier and something designed to work well with dynamic speakers just won't cut the mustard.

Good luck and enjoy the journey and we might catch up next time I'm in SYD.

Last edited:
Thanks amey01
Great food for thought, I will check these out in person with the other amps as well.

Paul

* The SL3 may need panel replacement. Check the serial number of the panels and then compare to the serial number decoder on this website. That will tell you their age. Now that won't tell you how they've been treated, but if they still sound good and are less than five years old then go for them. If not, be wary.
The SL3 was discontinued in 2000, the year I bought mine.

The SL3 was discontinued in 2000, the year I bought mine.

I meant the panel age Bernard, not the age of the speakers. ie. If the panels have been replaced in the last five years.

Still (for Paul) - even if you factor in panel replacement, you're still getting the SL3s for around the same price (less than?) the Purity. That's good buying in my book.

The Purity has the same sized panel as the Clarity but with the latest improvements. For a few extra dollars, the Purity, with inbuilt amplification and build quality is the superior buy.

Have you considered the Vista? It has the same sized panel as the Vantage, and sounds just as good. In fact I prefer the flexibility of the Vista over the Vantage. The sound seems more coherent.

There's nothing wrong the NAD 275BEE power amplifier. Very good sound for the money and it runs any speaker down to 2 ohms. I'm not so keen on the matching NAD preamp. You would be better off with a nice tube preamp.

Not very appealing options at those relative prices. I wouldn't consider any ML shorter than the Aerius, if you want the image height (vertical directivity) to not change drastically with listening position (height and distance) AND still be able to play loudly without straining.

How much is the Vista in Australia?

I really like my late-model SL3 (2000) which I bought used, so my suggestion would be to find out how old are the used SL3's and the panels and how much it costs to replace them.

PS. I'm coming to Sydney in mid-August, and as much as I'd like to help, I doubt I can squeeze replacement SL3 panels into my luggage....

Thanks again for all the input, the Vista is not within my budget.

If I go for the SL3s, I may send Tosh some money for larger luggage

Replacement panels for the SL3 are about $1600 in Australia.

The SL3 is a very nice loudspeaker. That too would be my preference if you could find a pair in good condition. But I think Audio Connection has sold them all!!!

Listen to the Purity, you may be impressed...

I listened to the Clarity and Purity side by side.with the same amp.
I preferred the Purity.
Found an ex-demo set and pick them up this afternoon, very excited.

Thanks to all for the input.

Paul

Yes, the Purity IS amplified (by a 200 watt ICE based amplifier). But the Purity offers the option of bypassing the inbuilt amplifier and using an external amplifier via high level inputs. It has been suggested that audiophiles may prefer to use their own amplifier, perhaps improving on the one offered with the speaker. This speaker is VERY well built and surprisingly heavy. Using the knuckle test, the cabinet responds with a very dull thud. Kinda similar to rapping on a block of concrete. Best of all, the Purity just looks great. And the sound is fantastic. There's no competition - I reckon this speaker just kills the Clarity. All in all, a very clever design... :music:

Last edited:
But the Purity offers the option of bypassing the inbuilt amplifier and using an external amplifier via high level inputs.

Does it genuinely allow the amps to be by-passed, or is it just running two amps in series (ie. high level input for the built-in amps)?

Does it genuinely allow the amps to be by-passed, or is it just running two amps in series (ie. high level input for the built-in amps)?

The internal amps are not bypassed. The high level inputs simply take your amp's signal, convert it into a low level signal, and then send it to the Purity's internal amps. There is no way to bypass the Purity's internal amps. Edwin, you are just adding more components to the chain when you use the high level inputs, and there is a lot of potential for error depending on how your amp's signal is processed by the Purity's converter. Even ML's web page on the Purity makes clear that using the high level inputs will result in reduced performance.

I also firmly disagree with your assessment of the Purity vs. the Clarity. I own the Clarity and have heard the Purity several times. I don't personally feel the differences between them are that great.

The internal amps are not bypassed.

That's what I thought.

I strongly agree with Rich - avoid running two amps in series at all costs! Other than wasting the first amp in the chain, it only serves to decrease sound quality.

Latest posts

Back