Which Sub????

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt00

Reaction score
OK, here is my dilemma; I have a pair of totem arrow speakers for a small 2-channeel set-up in my bedroom. I am looking for a Sub that would go with it. Since I mostly listen to music I need something fast and musical. I narrowed my choices down to either Martin Logan Grotto or the Velodyne SPL-800R. What do you guys think?:eek:

Thanks for your help.
Matt

Matt, I suggest the Paradigm Seismic™ 10. It's very fast and musical. Also very well built. I had this model in the past.

http://www.paradigm.com/en/reference/subwoofers-seismic-series-2-5-15.paradigm

seismicseries_category1_large.jpg

Last edited:
Matt, Welcome ! I too have a pair of Totem Arro's running in a small system in the living room, Love 'em !!

In addition to George's recomendation I must put in the ring for consideration the Velodyne "DD" series of subs, probably the 10 or 12 for your application. I'm using the DD-15 in my main (Vantage) system, I couldn't be happier, with their built in SMS bass mgmt system(very intuative) and servo controlled driver(a must IMO, for accurate music listening) it makes for one very nice set-up.

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken Tweeter is having a sale of various ML subs. The Grotto could be had for $700-800 (new). That's not a bad price at all and I am not how much velodyne DD subs run, but I'd be surprised if they were that 'cheap.'

Erik

Second the smaller DD or Grotto. Great deal at $750. The EQ abilities of the DD subs are really great though.

Thanks for you imput, but how does the grotto sub compare with other subs? Whould you say its musical? Has anyone listened to the Vely spl800R?

:music:

Thanks for you imput, but how does the grotto sub compare with other subs? Whould you say its musical? Has anyone listened to the Vely spl800R?

The grotto and DD subs are both servo subs...and I would venture to say they're both extremely musical...about the best you can get in that regard. The difference between the grotto and depth and descent is primarily output (which translates to slightly lower distortion as well, at any given output) ... and the same between smaller DD subs and larger ones. I've never heard a non-servo sub that comes close to musical "precision" of the servo ones...it's a no-brainer for me.

The only limitations you're going to have is overall extension and max output...which will be more limited on either of those subs, than on the larger ones...but for the price of the grotto...it's hard to complain. Get a second one if you want more output...and you'll have slightly greater output potential than a depth.

I think the grotto is considerably cheaper than the DD series subs...but the tuning ability of the DD subs is a VERY nice feature that can really improve the sound...if you don't have other EQing abilities for the sub. Up to you to make that value consideration.

Like others, I can only recommend what I have heard in my system i.e. not much. I had a $400 Polk (crap), a ML Dynamo (great), and now have a Depth-i. The Dynamo did really well augmenting the bottom end of my Aeon-is for music, and was surprisingly potent in the HT considering its small size, so I believe that a Grotto will be satisfactory. The Dynamo has one advantage IMO - it can be used in a down firing config.

OTOH, the Grotto is only $690 at Tweeter right now! Can you swing a pair?

I have a great deal of experience with the full line of Velodyne products and wouldn't recommend anything less than the SPL1000R. The 8" unit that they offer is one of the cleanest subs out there in the non-servo category but there is a great deal of difference in quality between it and the Grotto. The closeout price on the Grotto is almost too good to pass up!

Latest posts

Back