Where do you buy your cd's?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jerry,

How does BMG work? Do I pay a flat fee per year or do I have to order a set number of CDs?

Joey

So there's really no way to get cheaper CDs than 13.99-ish?
On Amazon, besides Amazon proper, you can get the same CDs cheaper from other sources. The Amazon listing tells you how many new and used are available from other sources.

I buy mainly from Amazon.com, or Borders (when they have coupons), and XRCD's from ElusiveDisc.com. I also try to hit local used CD stores, whenever possible. I keep a "wish list" of CD titles to buy on my Palm Treo, with recommendations from ML and other audio forums, or stuff I've heard on radioio acoustic. BTW, I just pre-ordered the new MoFi Original Master Recording of Roy Orbisons Greatest Hits ($24.99 from ElusiveDisc.com)

On Amazon, besides Amazon proper, you can get the same CDs cheaper from other sources. The Amazon listing tells you how many new and used are available from other sources.

Amazon will also match any competitor, and if your order is over $25, no shipping charges. I can't remember a time I couldn't find something I was looking for on Amazon. They also have a nice feature where they give you suggested music based on your previous purchases and searches.

Jerry,

How does BMG work? Do I pay a flat fee per year or do I have to order a set number of CDs?

Joey

There is an initial "free" batch, usually 6. Then you must purchase at least 3 over the next two years. You are only billed for purchases, not a monthly charge. They have a monthly "selection" that you can either accept of reject (you get an email asking if you want it and more). After your initial purchases you start to accumulate "freebies" based on how many you purchase. They are always running specials...ie: last month it was buy one get 5 free!
You always pay a S&H fee even for the "freebies" of $2.80 each.

As I said previously, I've gotten some hard to find oldies that have been reissued...my most recent "find" is the Doors LEGACY album. This 2 disc gem has all their old hits plus quite a few runners up. It cost $18.95 and I got 3 free discs to boot.

In December I redeemed a lot of my 70 freebies ...to redeem freebies you must always purchase at least 1 new one then you may select as many freebies as you want (within your available quantity that is). It feels great to get 25 CDs in the mail at one time!

Last edited:
Oh I forgot to mention, when you reply to your monthly selection you have the opportunity to listen to all the tracks online to see if you want it or not. I've been introduced nto a lot of new classical artists that way.

Mostly Amazon but also CD Baby and CD Universe.

With Amazon join the premier club. I think it was $50. There is no shipping on your orders through Amazon. No minimum purchase and they arrive 2nd day on most anything you order.

For $3 more you can have most things that are in their control the next day.

I have ordered items that were 400 lbs and had no shipping and received them in a week.

I prefer to browse through the local used CD stores and have found a few gems to include SACDs, XRCDs, MSFLs. I've also picked up some disappointments but the gems make it worth it and the low price of buying used makes it easier to take a risk on the unknown. Every once in a while I'll go through my collection and weed out those I don't care for to cash them at the used CD store.

Their selection of used vinyl in very good condition has improved recently so I've been stocking up on those at only $3 a pop. Since I have a nice tube preamp with good phono stage I plan to add a turntable to my system in the near future.

The used CD stores get in some off the wall stuff that you wouldn't normally find. The best sources for discovering new music have been internet and satellite radio.

Back