WHERE are the Discounted Motion Center Channel Speakers?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMOP

Reaction score
I bought the Motion 10 for $150/ea, the Motion 12 for $250/ea, but all of the authorized online dealers seem to be asking full fare for the Motion series Center Channel speakers.

Are these EVER as deeply discounted as the 10s and 12s? I've been waiting and waiting...but it's not looking good.

The small folded motion speakers really have not went down at all and retailers know if you paid for the big dogs your going to need a center

The small folded motion speakers really have not went down at all and retailers know if you paid for the big dogs your going to need a center

I wish you were wrong but your assertion seems to be born out by my experience. So far. Maybe things will change, but I'm going to have to spring for a decent center speaker soon.

I wish you were wrong but your assertion seems to be born out by my experience. So far. Maybe things will change, but I'm going to have to spring for a decent center speaker soon.

Don't give up the search friend, there are an abundance of great deals on ebay or audiogon. If you frequent these sites a couple of times a day your bound to get a deal

Identical front three speakers will always be best if you can fit them. Not many people can though.. including me :(

Last edited:
Identical front three speakers will always be best if you can fit them. Not many people can though.. including me :(

A Motion 12 as a center speaker? Agreed. Technically, it's an attractive approach. Practically, it would grossly encroach upon the view of the TV were I to put it in front, or the TV would block the sound were I to put it behind the TV. Anywhere else and it's no longer a center speaker! These things are a big as Daleks, and rather resemble them. Hard to hide.

No Motion Center Channel uses the same tweeter and mid as either the Motion 12 or 10. The Motion 4 bookshelf and the Motion 8 and Motion C Center Channel speakers share the same tweeter as both the 10 and 12, but use a 4" mid. I'm guessing that the Motion 4 might serve me as well as either the 8 or C, for a lot less money and take up quite a bit less space. I can promise you that it would work much better than my current excuse for a center speaker, even though it is better than none!

The irony here is that a new Motion 10 can be had for $125, which contains the bulk of components (sans cabinet) needed for a superior center channel speaker. I had a fleeting thought of trying to modify/shorten the Motion 10 cabinet (a Dwarf Dalek?), but convinced myself only that I could ruin the sound of the Motion 10 without getting the center channel that I need.

Last edited:
The Motion 10 and 12 are discounted because they are discontinued. The centers not so because they have not been discontinued. If you have the room, you might consider 2 motion 10 tight left and right of your tv, acting as center channel. I suspect it would be very good.

The Motion 10 and 12 are discounted because they are discontinued. The centers not so because they have not been discontinued. If you have the room, you might consider 2 motion 10 tight left and right of your tv, acting as center channel. I suspect it would be very good.

Well, yes, I suppose discontinued speakers should be discounted. Hadn't thought of the obvious. As far as the configuration, it should certainly sound good (though that would drop the impedance to 2 ohms if in parallel or increase to 8 if in series, with the latter being the safest, I suppose). No room for such a setup, though.

RMOP;148284[I said:
The irony here is that a new Motion 10 can be had for $125[/I], which contains the bulk of components (sans cabinet) needed for a superior center channel speaker. I had a fleeting thought of trying to modify/shorten the Motion 10 cabinet (a Dwarf Dalek?), but convinced myself only that I could ruin the sound of the Motion 10 without getting the center channel that I need.

Had the same idea here, been thinking about getting the Motion 10 and just building a bookshelf cabinet for the driver and tweeter and calling it a day. Of course the LX16 is also an option but much more expensive at the moment.

Had the same idea here, been thinking about getting the Motion 10 and just building a bookshelf cabinet for the driver and tweeter and calling it a day. Of course the LX16 is also an option but much more expensive at the moment.

I went to far as to look at some sites on speaker design, but I don't think I've presently either the time or tools to take this on. Too bad, though, as the only additional cost beyond the $125 for the Motion 10 would be the cabinet. Of course, if both mids were used, it would be a large center speaker...I've half a mind, on a whim, to purchase the Polk center channel currently going for $70. It has two 5.25" drivers (same diameter as the Motion 10's) and room for the Motion 10's tweeter between the two. It shouldn't work, really, as the Polk's cabinet was designed for Polk's drivers. But, for the time and money, it might be fun to try. If I'm careful, I might be able to do the swap w/o rendering the process irreversible on either speaker. The worst and probably most likely outcome would be a terrible sounding speaker. In that case, I could restore each to it's original condition and move on to a real custom cabinet project. And use the Polk in the interim. It would have to be better than my current excuse for a center channel speaker.

But the tonality of the polk would be different from the ML's you have to create an uneven sound. I had the same problem with mine as i tried to match my Sunfire ribbob center speaekr with my new Spires. Bad ocmbination indeed. I replaced the sunfire with the Stage center and the combo is wonderful.

I went to far as to look at some sites on speaker design, but I don't think I've presently either the time or tools to take this on. Too bad, though, as the only additional cost beyond the $125 for the Motion 10 would be the cabinet. Of course, if both mids were used, it would be a large center speaker...I've half a mind, on a whim, to purchase the Polk center channel currently going for $70. It has two 5.25" drivers (same diameter as the Motion 10's) and room for the Motion 10's tweeter between the two. It shouldn't work, really, as the Polk's cabinet was designed for Polk's drivers. But, for the time and money, it might be fun to try. If I'm careful, I might be able to do the swap w/o rendering the process irreversible on either speaker. The worst and probably most likely outcome would be a terrible sounding speaker. In that case, I could restore each to it's original condition and move on to a real custom cabinet project. And use the Polk in the interim. It would have to be better than my current excuse for a center channel speaker.

Well you can always try but you would have to slice a hole in the cab of the polk to fir the folded motion tweeter

But the tonality of the polk would be different from the ML's you have to create an uneven sound. I had the same problem with mine as i tried to match my Sunfire ribbob center speaekr with my new Spires. Bad ocmbination indeed. I replaced the sunfire with the Stage center and the combo is wonderful.

Of course. As I stated, it would be an interim solution, and one better than my present interim, I assure you!

Well you can always try but you would have to slice a hole in the cab of the polk to fir the folded motion tweeter

There's already a tweeter between the two 5.25" mids, so there appears to be room. And yes, it would probably require some (potentially irreversible) modification of the Polk cabinet. I don't know how deep the folded motion tweeter is, nor the one in the Polk. But, for $70, it's worth the risk, even if the Polk cabinet is ruined in the process. I can at least restore the Motion 10. I don't have the time, resources or energy to do a custom cabinet at this point, and I'm simply unwilling to spring for either the Motion 8 or C at the moment. That might change...

Well, for the curious...and for the entertainment of the purists: I couldn't resist the Motion 10 @ $125. I removed the legs and placed it on its side behind the TV. It can't be seen as anything other than a large "something" behind the TV. Doesn't detract from the room's decor. I sold my other "interim" Center Channel Polk speakers, which covered the price of the ML Motion 10. There's more room than I though between the bottom of the screen and the base than I thought, so while some of the speaker grill is obscured by the TV, most isn't. It sounds OK, but I'll always wonder if the Center C would be much better. Since it's finally discontinued AND discounted ($299), I'm considering it. If I got $100 for the Motion 10, that would be only...well, you get my drift. As I assume no one else has done quite what I've done, I'm not sure anyone can speak from experience as opposed to theory and opinion, but I welcome the latter two as well as the former. Be nice, though.

I will jump in and actually congratulate you on a decent solution. If you one day get creative and make a cabinet that fits better, you have the drives, xover and internal box dimensions to work with in the soon to be canablized 10. Great speaker and i use them for a small home theater in the house. 10, 12s where not well recieved cosmetically, but they sound great so jump while some silly deals exist. AS to Projectionmovielovers comments on the Motion line not doing well, he is wrong. the line has doubled our projections and is greatly responsible for us posting another record sales year. The 20, 40 with it's more cosmetically accepted looks has the wives liking it in spades. Magnolia's #1 bookshelf is the Motion 4 and they are bringing in Motion 15s and more to add to displays. Enjoy!

Great! Hopefully some of those revenues will go towards more Reserve line R&D, as I'm patiently waiting for the Summit "XXX"!

...the line has doubled our projections and is greatly responsible for us posting another record sales year...

Back