When to replace panels and how to protect them

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerabbi

Reaction score
Unavoidably, I am living in a somewhat dusty environment due to new construction. Aside from not setting up my Vantages for the next six or eight months, what is the best way to protect them? When not in use I will cover them, but is their anyway to clean/dust them after use? If clean, will they "last forever" or do they degrade in time? How much time? (At age 62, I figure I will degrade before they do!!)

Unavoidably, I am living in a somewhat dusty environment due to new construction. Aside from not setting up my Vantages for the next six or eight months, what is the best way to protect them? When not in use I will cover them, but is their anyway to clean/dust them after use? If clean, will they "last forever" or do they degrade in time? How much time? (At age 62, I figure I will degrade before they do!!)

There are many threads about the issue here. In short, try to keep them away from the dust if you can. Does your room seal, or is the house open plan? If the room seals, then the solution is easy - but beware of forced-air climate systems as these will just blow the air straight into the room.

If the house is open plan, then obviously take steps to protect them - don't open doors in windy or dry conditions for instance. You can certainly cover them (plastic rubbish bags are fantastic for that purpose), and be sure to vacuum them regularly (once a month - instructions here if you search) so dust doesn't build up.

If they stay clean (like, hospital clean) then yes, they will last near enough to forever. It's just that will be unlikely. But with a bit of care, regular vacuuming then they will almost certainly see you out.

There are many threads about the issue here. In short, try to keep them away from the dust if you can. Does your room seal, or is the house open plan? If the room seals, then the solution is easy - but beware of forced-air climate systems as these will just blow the air straight into the room.

If the house is open plan, then obviously take steps to protect them - don't open doors in windy or dry conditions for instance. You can certainly cover them (plastic rubbish bags are fantastic for that purpose), and be sure to vacuum them regularly (once a month - instructions here if you search) so dust doesn't build up.

If they stay clean (like, hospital clean) then yes, they will last near enough to forever. It's just that will be unlikely. But with a bit of care, regular vacuuming then they will almost certainly see you out.

I'll check out the vacuum thread.
Thanks. I'll try the plastic garbage bags - simple, inexpensive and effective, and this way thieves who may break into my house will pass by the speakers. :)

Sorry about the floods, mate. We hope you're safe.

Just tie the rubbish bags around the bottom so they fit nice and snug. And yes, it has the side-effect of "nothing expensive here, moving right along" as well.

The floods are really bad. Thankfully, we're safe being on the Gold Coast (hence I'm still posting here!), but it is damn scary - we are right on the water where we are, but still above the flood modelling maps so will hopefully be okay in the future. I guess there's no point worrying! I'm going up today to volunteer my services before being back at work tomorrow (probably).

Last edited:
Back