What is the best (tube)amp for Summit?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aurjan

Reaction score
Hi

I am the happy owner of a pair of Summits, using at digital Tact/Lyndorf Millennium Mk3 amp to run them.

So far, I have been really happy with this combination, :bowdown:
But the "what if..." thoughts have started to come lately.

What if... the Tact isnt the perfect match...? What if... it is a good tube amp instead? I have heard people say electrostats and tubeamps is a good match. Is it?

Do any of you have the experience with the Millennium amp and tubeamps?

What is the perfect match for the Summits?

(I have no experience with tube amps)

Hi Aurjan,

This issue has been discussed numerous times on the forum for all ML speakers. Tubes, SS, how many watts, what class of amplification, ability to handle the ML impedance issue, amp current amount, listening levels, room size, type of music, tube rolling, etc.

You might want to research the multitude of past posts. There are many ideas / opinions that I'm sure you will find helpful.

Hint: There is no right answer (perfect match) because there are too many variables and the decision needs to be based on your personal listening biases and preferences.

GG

You will get a boat load of possibilities on this one for sure !

Truthfully there are many good choices, budgetary constraints ??

myself I have not heard the Millennium pieces but I do love......

BAT, Audio Research, CJ, Rogue Audio, Cary, all of which I've either owned or have spent considerable time listening through.

Tonepub recently comented as to how good the new PrimaLuna MonoBlocks sounded on his CLX's as well.

Great advice so far.

I have heard the Tact/Lyndorf stuff. Personally, I find it hard work to listen to, though they are ultra clear. I think the top end on those amps is quite unforgiving and relentless in the long term.

The only answer is to draw up a short list and demo them. Or take a risk and go the ebay/A'gon route, then re-sell/re-buy 2nd hand until you find something you like.

If you can, keep your current amps until you find something you definately prefer.

It's your ears, not ours.

It's all personal choice. Personally, I listened auditioned another component with a TacT/Lyngdorf amp and it just didn't work for me - I asked for the amplifier to be changed immediately so I think you can do better. "What" better constitutes is up to you.

I'll chime in with the ARC Ref 110. It's hard to imagine an amp sounding better on these speakers.

Best tube amp

There are probably plenty of best tube amps.

I have a set of Conrad Johnson premier 12 monoblocks on my Summits and could not be much happier.

I have had them for years and they have been rock solid reliable and a wonderful improvement over any solid state I had hooked up to my Logans. (reQuest to Summits).

I find them warm, musical, robust and they are able to render details and subtle shadings. I have absolutely no compulsion to upgrade or change. The only amps I have ever heard that sounded better were both SET's which are not practical with stats.

You have plenty of great choices and I would recommend that you investigate cj. Mike Fremer did a review of the 12's at stereophile and I
found that his notes on the amps match my experience.

Have Fun. Once you go to tubes you may never look back!!!!

Great advice so far.

I have heard the Tact/Lyndorf stuff. Personally, I find it hard work to listen to, though they are ultra clear. I think the top end on those amps is quite unforgiving and relentless in the long term.

The only answer is to draw up a short list and demo them. Or take a risk and go the ebay/A'gon route, then re-sell/re-buy 2nd hand until you find something you like.

If you can, keep your current amps until you find something you definately prefer.

It's your ears, not ours.

Hi
Yes the Tact Millennium is definitely "ultra clear" as you describe it, and extremely "Silent/black" in the quiet parts of a recording. Thats whats so impressing with this amp.
The speakers are allso pretty "ultra clear".. .so it might be a littlebit too much for some recordings!

But I have to say, playing Patricia Barber, Cafe Blue, track 8 to 12 is a true joy! :music:

But it will maybe play even more impressing with a tube... ;)

Thanks to all for good tips so far!

As mentioned I am not experienced at all with tube amps.
So: What means single ended? Triode?

And how big tubeamp do I need for the Summits? (I like to play good music at "decent" levels..) 30W? 50W 100W..more?

I know ... ofcourse its my ears and my personal preferences, but it is nice to have heard other experiences so i can start looking in the right "area"...:)

So: Conrad Johnson premier 12, ARC Ref 110, PrimaLuna MonoBlocks, BAT, Rogue Audio, Cary... Anyone with experience with Sonic Frontiers or Jadis?

THANKS, I have something to start reading rewiews of now! :)

Last edited:
Try some Jadis. Works very fine with ML. Amp works in class A, means warm sound but with enough "slam". My Ascent's are driven with Jadis DA50S (KT88) and I enjoy it much (Classic-baroc and jazz) especially female voices...
Chris

Of course, you could always try some Austria Analog 211s PSE monos...:D

However, they come with an "awesome" warning, so beware! Click on my system link below for more info.

They are single ended triodes, with the caveat that they actually have some power. They will easily drive a Summit to very high levels with no stress at all.

http://www.audioanalog.at/

I have just noticed that they have become very expensive if paid for in sterling. You might fair much better in Norway. Not sure if you can source them easily, though.

They will provide stacks of detail presented in a totally unfatiging manner. Very 3D and very smooth. And great with sub-standard material, too.

Latest posts

Back