what happened to sonos?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, Sonos currently has a 64,000 track limit - or 54,000 more tracks than the Squeezebox Touch mentioned above. I have a little over 17,000 tracks in my library at present and I add more all the time. As I write this I have all of those tracks in a "Master" playlist for when I want unlimited variety, so there aren't any limits on playlists that I know of. Once the library is initially set up it doesn't take long to reindex, I add new material regularly and usually reindexing takes about as long as it takes me to go refresh my drink. Overall it probably is a little more expensive than an Apple TV/Airport Express setup. Last week I added a Bridge in my audio room so that I could take my ZP90 from the audio room to my bedroom. That cost me $49 bucks, though to be fair, the Connect runs about $349 I believe. Adding the new zone took me about 10 minutes.

That is good to know. People had discussed reindex issues and track limits online, that is why I brought it up.

AE retails for $100...can be bought on eBay for $70. Adding a zone is pretty simple, however it is a multi-function device (wireless router, a bridge, an extender, a wired to wireless converter), so you need to decide how you want to use it.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but I don't have much 24/96 so that isn't a show stopper for me. What little I have, I can plug it in directly to the processor.

Since you have a Mac Mini running itunes, consider picking one up and trying it. I'd be curious to know how it compares with the Sonos for stability and hiccups/wireless signal issues. I have a friend with a Sonos setup, but haven't had the chance to do a serious test and I believe his equipment is all in one place vs heavily using wireless.

Amey01/Hocky:
My mistake on the SB limit. It was based on what I read online. Recommendation was to move server duties off to a PC/MAC after 10K songs.

Last edited:
You may not have said there were limitations, but you did ask why I said it was functionality hobbled. You've answered your own question.

But yes - I agree - there are positives and negatives for all systems. That's why there is a place in the market for all of them. Personally, the SB was the best match for my requirements. And there is nothing that can come close to replacing it. That's why I'm so interseted in the Olive ONE.

I think your requirement of 24/96 trumps everything for you...which is fine.

Interesting thread here on ComputerAudiophile.

Just another point of view from folks owning SBT, Sonos, and AE.

I think your requirement of 24/96 trumps everything for you...which is fine.

Interesting thread here on ComputerAudiophile.

Just another point of view from folks owning SBT, Sonos, and AE.

Intersting thread thanks.

I wouldn't quite say it trumps everything, as there are many audiphile solutions around that will do 24/96, FLAC and all the other good stuff. But then you start to lose out on the functionality/usability/interface side of things. Oh, and you pay unnecessarily high prices!

Intersting thread thanks.

I wouldn't quite say it trumps everything, as there are many audiphile solutions around that will do 24/96, FLAC and all the other good stuff. But then you start to lose out on the functionality/usability/interface side of things. Oh, and you pay unnecessarily high prices!

There many solutions indeed, but the bottleneck for most of the lower-priced options do not play gapless, which i think is an absolute must. Naim and Linn have good players, but they are rather costly. The Squeezeboxes are no longer in development, so i don't see them as an option either. I looked at the olive, but finally I bought a Cambridge Stream magic which, since a firmupdate, plays gapless 24/96 over UPnP, and 24/192 over USB.
In combination with a synolgy (wired connection) it streams brillianlty and nice control with a tablet. Just don't use the Cambridge app. It is a pain (on my Android tablet)

Back