What are your listening habits?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Matz

Reaction score
Does anyone keep stats on what they listen to? I imagine if you listen through an iPod or a digital system, that data is kept for you.

Do you jump from song to song, or do you listen to an entire cd/ album? Do you listen to artist "deeply"? I own just about every CD released by the Dead, Clapton, Brubeck, and a few others. Do you only listen only to well recorded stuff, leaving crappy recordings for the car?

Do you listen broadly and seek out new artists and jump across musical genres?

I normally listen to the entire CD. I listen to mostly high—end recordings which is mainly Jazz .

I jump all over the place. I usually have a my entire collection on random play.

Depending upon the album I may listen to the entire thing or skip from track to track. If I like a song the quality of the recording does not matter; that said, I have sometimes lamented the non-availability on vinyl of something I have liked on CD.

I am all over the place on any given day. I do tend to listen to things the whole way through, but its nice to do the random selections from time to time for variety of choice as well. As for only high quality audio, no, I have 1000's of live recordings that range from HQ production releases to rare audience recordings done from a hat in a sea of thousands of other concert goers. I love live music way to much to cut out everything that is not a perfect capture. For me the emotional attachment to the performance is far greater than the need for perfect audio, after all Brittney Spears had good sonics to her records but live she sucks....I imagine.;)

Some times the music is on in background mode so I may skip around. I try to have a serious session about 1-2 hrs each day, in that case I will attentively listen (or try to:rolleyes:) to a complete CD or LP.

Like Jeff - I listen in all those modes (and more) depending on the day and my mood.

It just depends. Sometimes I get on to one artist and listen to multiple complete albums of the particular artist from start to finish. Other times I jump around. Sometimes I'm on a "well recorded" day and I only listen to well recorded stuff. Other times I don't care about sound quality and listen to whatever I feel like.

It just depends, but it's safe to say it I listen in all the modes you mentioned - and more.

Back in the '60's me, my brother and some friends would round up all our favorite albums, get together and take turn playing our tunes. We'd rate each song between 1-100, add up the scores and make our own Billboard Top 40 or even Top 100 over a long weekend.

I'd forgotten that. B.F.T.P. (Blast From The Past) :)

I am also primarily into live music. I never got into listening to full albums thing. Other than a few classic albums that are worth listening through a-z, like Dark Side of the Moon, most have 1 or 2 songs that are worth hearing. Which is why iTunes took off...

I also love to hunt for new music. XM radio is great for that. My village library also pretty much buys whatever I ask for. So if I hear something good on XM, I can get the library to buy it. I listen to it for a bit before committing to a purchase myself. They bought the Beatles boxed set per my request. I found it boring, but it is now for everyone to hear in my community, and saved me the cash.

Also, when I have time, I go to the library to browse and pick out something new, different, or fresh. I can then spin it when I am in the mood and have time, and buy it later if I like it.

As the youngest of four growing up in the late 60's and 70's, I had an esoteric choice of music. My father's classical albums, and I do mean albums, those book-like collections of a composer's works; my older siblings pop, jazz, and rock albums.
It wasn't until my early twenties when I moved out of the house and got into college and other non-commercial radio. Wfuv in the Bronx, Wxci in danbury, CT, 90.1 across the river, etc.
I would write down what I heard and special order it at the local store, or make a trip to Bleeker st. and go through the racks.
With that said, I still listen to non-comm radio, but it really is getting bad out there as far as adventurous music goes. When I find a good song, it usually comes with a good album surrounding it, Those are the treasures, and I like to load up the changer with them and listen all the way through all five if I have the time. I'll sit and pay attention at night, but will do the household chores during the day, and that's when interesting things pop out of the music. it may be a refrain or stanza that had gone unnoticed until something I was doing or thinking made it click.
if i change the system setup, I'll go through all my favorites, seeing what is different.

Last edited:
Back