What are your guys' opinion with regards to the Parasound JC-1 monoblocks?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They do act like heaters and assuming l0% efficiency in Class A, the amp pulls a consistent ll00W from the wall so there is not far off l kW dispersing to the room. Yes they are hot. This is why the effective standby function of A/B with the Plinius is so useful.

Kevin

I agree with Kevin... the bias switch is certainly a life saver. My room gets considerably hotter with the bias on A! Sometimes, I leave my bedroom's heater "off" when I have the amp on A. :)

That said, I'm glad for the A/B bias on the Plinius because I sure as heck dont like to be sweating and spending excess cash on electricity bills just for surfing the internet or watching movies!

Joey :D

Do they throw off as much heat as tube amps? I wouldn't think so, but I know they can get hot.

How much heat they throw off is directly related to how much wattage they provide. The greater watts per channel of output, the greater the amount of heat released. My Pass Labs X-350 easily throws off as much heat as my C.J. 140 tube amp. But I really don't know if a 100 watt Class A solid state amp puts off more or less heat than a 100 watt tube amp. Regardless, either one is akin to having a 500 watt blow dryer running in your living room. The Pass draws 550 watts at idle (1800 watts max.), 90% of which is released as heat.

The Pass draws 550 watts at idle (1800 watts max.), 90% of which is released as heat.

Hi,
Actually, at idle, all the power it is using is converted to heat (100%), as there is zero power going out to the speakers.

Peter

Thanks guys for all the info on A vs. A/B and how much heat is genereated. A LOT is the answer to that question!

So no pushes for the JC-1s eh? Alright, I'll keep my eyes peeled for others...

Parasound

Joey-

As you probably guessed, I am going to be a "pusher" of the JC1 mono monsters. The only thing is, I have not personally heard them running summits. With this said, I have heard the other parasound 'halo' line amps running logans before, and if the JC1 sound as good as the others which they should seeing they utilize the same "John Curl" circuitry from the other 'halo' amps, then they should sing like beautiful Rose McGowan leg machine gun toting femme fatales!

My only reservation with the monos is power..... SICK DISGUSTING AMOUNTS OF POWER!!!! :eek: Unearthly INHUMAN AMOUNTS OF POWER!!!:banghead: the end all be all to the search for ultimate power!!! :drool:

800w @ 4 ohm? I dunno if thats a good thing......

other than that.....they rule

Back