We've got em! The Beatles Box sets are here...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beatles are Back! : Mono, Bi-mono, Stereo, whatever

WARNING: FOR THOSE WHO DON'T LIKE THE BEATLES AND NEVER DID-PLEASE READ NO FURTHER!

I was one of many Beatlephiles that got suckered into the 1987 stereo reissues. Fortunately, I stopped at about 6 sets (Pepper, Revolver, Hard Day, Help, Rubber Soul, and White Set) when I heard what could be best described as execrable digital reauthoring. Even on a dCS stack with a clock, I could not find a filter setting that made them listenable more than once through. In fact, they were relegated to a storage closet where I keep things that I no longer play but haven't gotten around to throwing out.
Enter the Remasters. When I heard about the limited edition issue with the Mono Box, I went on line on 9/9/09 and nailed a set from Amazon for 179.00. So they won't be numbered; I didn't buy them as an investment anyway.
I then selectively went after the stereo reissues that I would listen to more than once (same as above plus Abbey Road).
I am old enough to remember the original lp issues (had 'em once but couldn't stand the Capitol pressings so they are all gone). The dreaded "bi-mono" mix certainly is still present on some of the earlier sets. However, this is mitigated by better detail, full-bodied bass, and much less "digital glare." Buyers should be aware that these are not remixes so if "bi-mono" sound troubles you-caveat emptor and stay away. It certainly didn't bother me much this time around. Once I got to the White Set, the sound was a small revelation. Take a gander at "Why Don't We Do It In The Road." You will see what I mean.
But -ah-the Mono Box. I am hearing things the way they were intended by the Fab Four. There is good depth and detail. If I had had a better stereo system in college (KLH Model 11 this is probably what I would have heard (assuming sobriety of course).
I agree with many of the those who have posted. If you truly loved the Beatles once, although you can never go home again, you will get most of the way there. If you missed the Beatles (not born or too young to buy your own records), you should give the Mono Box a definite tumble. My feeling about the stereos is to be selective (get the ones you like and if you like 'em all get 'em all).

Got tired of waiting for the mono set and decided to get the singles
in stereo....got all except Yellow Submarine, Let it Be (i have the
naked version), Revolver and the White Album...cost me $76 on
Tower.com, considerably cheaper than the box sets. Also, after
listening to clips of Revolver and particularly, the White Album,
i was surprised at how mediocre a lot of the material is. There
are a few great songs that made their way to their greatest hits
CDs, but a lot on the White Album is just poor in my opinion.
Regardless, i think the Beatles are the BEST musical artists of
our era.

Hopefully, they'll eventually release the 1st 4 albums in mono
for individual purchase.

There seems to be a lot of interest in these, so...

Hi-Fi News Yearbook has dedicated 8 A4 size pages to them. So there's loads of info for the curious. It's the yearly issue with the recommended components in it, of which the Spire is one.

Not sure how available it is stateside, but for those who know where to get it, I thought it'd be worth the post.

Beatles Mono Box Set

I read several posts here and elsewhere that recommended the Mono Box Set for the quality of sound over the Stereo Box Set. So after first purchasing and enjoying the heck out of the new Stereo Box Set, I went ahead and bought the Mono Box Set for $240 and had to wait more than a month to get it.

I just thought I should put out a caveat for anyone that leans toward a multi-channel taste in music and is thinking about buying the Mono Box Set,( pm me before you lay out the cash, because I will make a deal for you......really.)

I got my Mono Box Set yesterday and sat down to listen and compare a couple of albums. Unfortunately for my taste in music the Mono was utterly lifeless. Specifically the Sgt Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band album when put side by side, Stereo vs Mono, the sound stage collapses, there is no movement in mono on Strawberry Fields, like there is in Stereo. For me the lack of surround sound that you get from the Stereo and better yet the 5.1 surround sound via the McCormack ARM circuit well I could only listen to and compare 4 songs in Mono before I packed the mono back up.

Anyway, I know to each his own, but if you happen to like multi-channel music, I am afraid you might be greatly disappointed in the Mono Beatles. I guess I just wish that someone had done a better job of describing the difference between the Mono Box Set and the Stereo Box Set, I for one did not realize the lessness of Mono, especially when some desriptions I read described the mono as richer than the Stereo. Anyway, I would have probably not purchased the Mono set, if I had read a better side by side description, but I guess live and learn.

At least for me, I discovered why monotonous is such a bad thing. And no offense to those that love mono and two channel stuff, you are fortunate as that type of music is easier and cheaper to enjoy, I kind of envy you. Six channels is really all that more difficult and expensive to enjoy all things be unequal or is it equal, and it is six different ways.......but hey each has to bear their own cross.:D

Seriously, I just thought that any multi-channel guy or girl out there that is contemplating the Mono, just might want to hear a different opinion from what has been posted so far. Nothing more.

Latest posts

Back