Weak SL3 panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

potmos

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a pair of SL3s from 1998, have gotten the panels replaced back in either 2005 or 2006 and have been living in Singapore since 2007. I have found that my panels have gotten *very* weak in the past 2-3 years, to the point of having become unusable. Apparently the humidity and temperature are not very kind to various types of adhesives, including the ones used on these speakers.

I presume that for the panel assembly, the front stator/membrane/rear stator should be a tight sandwich (at least on the edges). I recently got around to taking them off to have a look and have noticed a significant gap between the front and rear stators, especially in the mid section, when looking at the panel from the side. I am not sure if the attached picture makes this clear enough. Some of my questions are:

• If I were to fix this gap, would it potentially result in an improvement?

• If so, what is the recommended adhesive or adhesive material for this situation?

• Are there any people capable of servicing the stator panels located in Singapore or nearby countries? (I know this question is a real stretch!)

Thanks for any and all information!

statorseparation.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All,

I have a pair of SL3s from 1998, have gotten the panels replaced back in either 2005 or 2006 and have been living in Singapore since 2007. I have found that my panels have gotten *very* weak in the past 2-3 years, to the point of having become unusable. Apparently the humidity and temperature are not very kind to various types of adhesives, including the ones used on these speakers.

I presume that for the panel assembly, the front stator/membrane/rear stator should be a tight sandwich (at least on the edges). I recently got around to taking them off to have a look and have noticed a significant gap between the front and rear stators, especially in the mid section, when looking at the panel from the side. I am not sure if the attached picture makes this clear enough. Some of my questions are:

• If I were to fix this gap, would it potentially result in an improvement?

• If so, what is the recommended adhesive or adhesive material for this situation?

• Are there any people capable of servicing the stator panels located in Singapore or nearby countries? (I know this question is a real stretch!)

Thanks for any and all information!

View attachment 15449

The gap should be being held in place by the frame - is that correct with the SL3 design? If that's the case then it shouldn't matter.

The reason why the panels are sounding dull is because of only one reason - pollutants on the membrane. Humidity simply assists this happening - however if you look after them it shouldn't make any difference. Have you neglected to vacuum them regularly? Do you smoke? Either of these things will exacerbate the degradation of the panel. A good vacuum will assist in restoring them if you have not done that recently, however if they are too far gone then it may not restore them to full glory.

If that's the case, then the only option is replacement, however if you consider that, then it may pay to put them through the shower first (search site for instructions).

But in the final analysis, the panels should be lasting longer than 6-7 years which is what you're getting. The only thing that could make the panels die so quickly is smoking or lots of cooking fats in the air.

I had not considered that the frame holds them in place tight enough to close the gap.

In any case, they have not been exposed to smoking, grease or anything else that would generate an abnormal amount of particulates.

I have vacuumed them on occasion but probably not as religiously as I should have. I'll give them a shower as I have nothing to lose at this point. I'll report back if there are any changes in performance. Thanks!

PS: The first time I replaced them because I had some really bad movers that didn't properly pack the speakers, not because of particulate degradation. Basically one of the woofer covers ended up jammed in the panel!

Adam,

Maybe wrong but I don't think so. I think the stat frame / mylar membrane is one cohesive / integrated unit and the external rails merely allow a place for that structure to "seat into". Having removed the rails several times from my SL3's, I think that's how it works.

Best advice for potmos, from my perspective, is to buy new panels assuming what I described above is correct.

Gordon

Adam,

Maybe wrong but I don't think so. I think the stat frame / mylar membrane is one cohesive / integrated unit and the external rails merely allow a place for that structure to "seat into". Having removed the rails several times from my SL3's, I think that's how it works.

Best advice for potmos, from my perspective, is to buy new panels assuming what I described above is correct.

Gordon

Thanks for pointing that out. Certainly with airframe-equipped models, the frame will certainly hold the panel in together as rubber-coated rails hold it very tightly.

OP - if no exposure to excessive particulates, then perhaps it is something else? Possibly call ML first, as it may be the HV boards or some other problem.

Adam,

Gordon

If they are not supposed to have gaps in the middle, why not try to bring them back to their original state by using the appropriate adhesive? Again, given the current state, what do I lose by trying to fix it (Aside from time til listening enjoyment)?

I'm providing you with my recommendation. If you don't want to pursue, that's fine with me.

I have no skin in this game.

If they are not supposed to have gaps in the middle, why not try to bring them back to their original state by using the appropriate adhesive? Again, given the current state, what do I lose by trying to fix it (Aside from time til listening enjoyment)?

I don't have an opinion on that. But firstly verify _ are they or are they not held in place by the frame. But I'd be contacting ML first. You certainly shouldn't have dead panels after 6 years. Maybe something else is going on?

Back