watts?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratso

Reaction score
now that i am an official (god it feels good to say that) ML owner i have a question for the wise. i have a pair of vantages, and seeing as how the bottom is amped and they're pretty efficient, what is the minimum amount of watts you can get away with? if i wanted to buy a tube amp and still keep a good amount of headroom and occasionally kick some ac/dc when my wife isn't home, what's the minimum? cuz i have this dream of maybe someday owning a shindo amp but it puts out only 40W per channel and i'm not exactly a 'nearfield' guy...

Ratso,
Congrats on the purchase.
I'd look more closely at current output than wattage with these guys. good rule of thumb is to have around what MFG recommendation is for watts on SS amps, but that goes out the window when talking about Tube amps. Lots of guys running 70watt CJs here and loving it.
Typically, if your SS amp doubles down, it's got some decent current.
55amps +will do your MLs right. Less than 40 with SS and it may roll off a bit.
just my .02

There are many past threads dealing with this topic. Consult the "search" button and have fun.

GG

Ratso,
If you're concerned with the power requirements, here a my post on the Dynamic Range and Power Claims thread where I plugged in some real numbers from my system to give you some idea. I have the 50-watt tube SixPacs powering my panels and never looked back! Of course, there are other members here who have good successes with high-powered amplifiers like Krell, Levinson, Pass, Plinius, etc...
You're eyeing the Shindo tube amplifiers so I'm assuming you're a...bottlehead. Specifically for tube amplifiers, the consideration is a bit different on the Logans. Please take a look here: Tubes and Logans.
Specifically about matching tubes with the Vantages, you can take a look here: Bought some Vantages (a.k.a. Cary 805C & Vantages).
These threads/posts will keep you busy for a while. If you have your sight set on the Shindo, you should really audition the equipments of the same caliber to ensure that you've achieved system synergy. I'm not saying that the Shindo are bad, you should make sure that the Shindo is the best match in your system. You have a very interesting journey ahead of you.

Good Luck.
Spike

Last edited:
There are many past threads dealing with this topic. Consult the "search" button and have fun.

Ratso,
:welcome: to the madness.

Glad to see our Chicago contingent continue to grow.
We're an active group who's managed to get together often and upgrade even more frequently.:D
We'll gladly give you advice and help you spend your money on upgrades.:devil:

Back