Vista's stator went mute

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomi

Reaction score
Hello

I have a pair of ML Vistas. I made a test that how long the stator will be actually active and still produce audible sound without power. Well, it took approximately 20 or 30 hours of playing until I could hear the low frequencies only. I kept them unplugged from the mains conditioner so they didn't get any power during that time. The idea of the whole thing was to get the dust away from the stator and to see if it had an effect on the sound.

Today I plugged them back to the conditioner and switched the equipment on and started listening, but the stator of the left channel was mute and it didn't "activate" as usual. The blue led was not lighted either. However, bass of the left channel seems to work properly as well as the right channel, too.

What could be the problem? A fuse or something else?

Sorry about the wrong area, but for some reason I was unable to post to the main discussion forum.

I've accidently forgot that my speakers were unplugged before so that I could clean them, but never played them for a long time on purpose.

I'd be curious what your owners manual says about this.

Tradition says to unplug your speakers (and don't play them) for 48 hours then give them a vacuum, front side more vigorously than back side because the positive charge attracts more dust.

Sounds like your test got to be an expensive one.

Problem solved! Everything works as it should be...

I have actually no idea what went wrong in the beginning or what happened. Well, I unplugged everything from the speakers and then took the power to Vistas directly through the wall socket and maybe that made the trick. The blue led lit and the stator was back online as it should be.

Maybe one really should give a chance to the "crappy power" once in a while :p

took the power to Vistas directly through the wall socket

Did you have the speakers plugged into a power protector/regulator of some sort?

I'd be curious what your owners manual says about this.

I'm pretty sure that's warned against.

Yes, the Vistas were plugged to Isotek Mini Sub mains conditioner. I have been using it since summer with Vistas and the other equipment, too. Mini Sub made a clear difference compared to unfiltered power or Shunyata Hydra 2, for example. With Mini Sub I got a bit more detail and maybe some kind of crispness to the overall sound. In my opinion, the backround is also more calm and silent with filtered power.

I don't recall that the owner's manual included any warnings or restrictions concerning mains filters or conditioners.

Back