vista or vantage?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratso

Reaction score
hello all! first time post here. many years ago the thing that first got me into stereo was walking through a "high end" shop and stumbling across a big pair of maggies - i thought it was a joke at first and that someone had hidden a piano in the room - it just blew my mind. well a week ago i got those same goosebumps i had years ago from listening to a pair of vantages. i have about $3500 to spend so my dilemma is this.
i heard the vantages at a stereo store that also had the vista's to listen to. the vantages to my ears sounded a lot better and not just in the bass - they seemed to have a wider soundstage and a much more open and 'fuller' sound to me. the problem is that the setup for the vista's wasn't that hot - the placement of the speakers was bad and the amplification driving them was pretty poor too. i have read that they both use the same planars, only the woofers are different. so should i wait and try to pick up a pair of vantages on Agon? how much would i lose SQ wise if i just got a new pair of vista's and later on paired them with a ML sub? thanx for any input.

My suggestion is to buy the best speakers you can possibly afford right now (in this case, Vantages) and then slowly upgrade the rest of your equipment (amp, preamp, source, cables, etc.) to match with them. It is easier to bite the bullet now and be happy with your speakers than to scrimp and be disappointed and have to upgrade them later.

Vantages because you can run tube/set amps into these and make them sing even more... thanks to the powered bass module.

Vista - though similar on paper - is a smidge below what the Vantages can do.

Either one is great.

ratso, like you suggest speaker placement is crucial and amplification very important. The effect of sources and the preamp is often underestimated also. Another question is if the Vistas had enough hours of play time on their panels.

If they did not then that alone could explain everything you did not like about them.

I had the same question you had re. Vistas plus sub versus Vantages and I still don't know the answer. In the end I went with Vantages following the philosophy mentioned by Rich. But at that time I already had decent amplification and sources.

Otherwise I would probably go with Vistas; or buy a used pair of Odysseys for $2500. Better yet - CLS for $2000.

Adam, do you read this?

thanx all for the suggestions! to clarify i am in the process of updating my whole system. i just got and am listening now for the first time to my d-sonic magnum 1000 amp (same units as in red dragons, bel canto's etc.) so amps are taken care of. i am also waiting (hopefully if it works out) for one of the last made supratek preamps - mick just announced he is going out of business. so i will have a pretty damn good system to plug my speakers into. to clarify my main question - can anyone compare/contrast the vantages with a vista and say a depth or descent?

I've read it.
If you can swing a set of Odysseys for 2500 you've got magic in your listening room. If you can swing 1900 + Shipping, you can have my Ascents and still have magic in your listening room =)
In all seriousness though, Having listened to all the above mentioned speakers now, I would say the Odysseys are top notch. If you really want to go brand new and do either Vistas or Vantages, You can either save money and do Vistas with a decent sub, or go straight to the powered Woofer Vantage model. I don't think you can lose with any of the MLs listed in this thread. All will be able to deliver the goods when paired with synergistic components.

Used ML prices in the US must have dropped a lot while I was not looking. When you bought your Odysseys I thought that you could sell your Ascents for more than what the Os cost you. I was under the impression that your Ascents were a like new pair of demonstrators from the shop when you bought them, what, less than 6 months ago?

I was able to sell the Ascents for more. They are gone =( I miss them already, but I helped the new owner unpack them and he was happy to see their new condition. He's already commented on how they sound better in his room than his Maggie 3.6s! My Odysseys are currently in pieces awaiting new transformers. I took some pics of the process.

your room

I have had both vista and vantages on home dem for a long time:D (my dealer is moving shops.........)

In my room the vistas sounded much better.................tried loads of different amps...............I am sticking with them.
My dealer reckons its the same in his shop.....but the vantages sound better than the vista's in most peeps homes.........
I would like to try the new "sealed box" woofer ML's though....................bit expensive in the uk at £6500+ (about $12000!)

Oh and my latest amp is a MC2 power amp that gives 750w into 4ohms 1400+ into 2ohms .......its designed for studios ........made a big difference.....listen to what these forum peeps are saying about current capable amps............

and enjoy:music:

thanx all for the great advice (especially adamo, my friend from emotiva lounge, great to see you over here too!). i am happy to say i just scored a pair of vantages in dark cherry, can't wait for them to get here...

thanx all for the great advice (especially adamo, my friend from emotiva lounge, great to see you over here too!). i am happy to say i just scored a pair of vantages in dark cherry, can't wait for them to get here...

Ratso!

You're in Chicago? Why don't you come by and join the group.. we got a gang going here. Usually we try to meet up once in a while - lately the more active members have been David Matz (great guy, you gotta meet him) and Burke (funny fella... you'll enjoy his company)... they're meeting this upcoming Saturday if you're interested.

If you're close to the Loop, you may want to stop by my place soon... I'll demo my system to you and we can talk shop.

:)

Enjoy your Vantages... good stuff.

Joey

I was set to buy Vistas, then experienced the Vantages. Was a no brainer, scored Vantages then moved up to a Pass labs amp, bliss ever since.

Lee

Back