Vignettes, opinions ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradH

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting the Vignettes as my 2 front, center and two back ceiling surround speakers. I'll also get the Dynamo Subwoofer. What's the opinions here on the Vignettes. They are affordable, but am I paying for design and or name, or are they better than usual speakers in this price range? I've always wanted Martin Logan speakers, but do I have to go to the higher price range before reaping the benefits, "so to speak" ? Thanks for any help.

I would save up money for the higher priced MLs. I think that the Vignettes are good as surround speakers. I think that Source or Purity would be a lot better as your main front towers. As for your center, i would get the Motif. Remember, since you're going for HT, the center channel is the MOST important speaker in the whole setup. Therefore, i would not skimp on the CC. I would spend as much money as possible on the 3 front speakers. I don't think that Vignettes or Frescos would make you happy as an ML owner...sooner or later, you will want to upgrade. ATF technology is good (to match ESL to some degree), but they are far from replacing ESL's total sound. If space is an issue, then i would still get ML towers...see my signature for pics. My room is only 16x11 but everything fits perfectly.

I know that there are several members here who find the ATFs to be quite lacking as a center channel with electrostats. However, I have a fresco-i, and its probably one of the two most pleasant surprises along with cdp. You know, for the money.

The one "serious" drawback is a true lack of extension. However, I am veritably impressed with the ATF's lack of sibilance, or just general abilities with the voice. Thats pretty much what I use it for; an HT only purpose, as all music listening for me is in stereo. (I don't own a single multi-ch music disc, but I have several hundreds of cd's).

In my limited comparative auditioning of the Stage/Cinema etc, I found these to actually exhibit more pronouced sibilance than with the ATF's, believe it or not. However, I am not saying that they are not the better match- but I really hate sibilance!

Thanks so much for your reply. I suspected as much. But I will be unable to get towers. Besides the wife goin' nuts , I have two cats that would tear em' up. I have to get on -wall speakers. If the Fresco or vignettes will not do the job, I'll have to search elsewhere i.e another brand of full range on the walls. Seriously I know towers would be the way to go, but I have to be creative here. Any other suggestions ? By the way I was gonna go with either the Dynamo sub or that next one up.

Brad, i personally would go with a servo-controlled sub. Thus, i would prefer the Grotto over the Dynamo.

On the Grottos ? Well, but first I have to resolve what my mains will be. You see my budget is at 4 - 4.5K. Total with receiver too. Besides the other problems mentioned with the towers they'd also be out of my price range. That said from what I'm reading here the Vignettes or the Frescos would NOT be a workable choice for my mains. They just can't do the job. So, now I'm back to square one. I need "in -walls" as my my mains because of Cats, cost, and wife. Hmmmm Thanks for all your help. If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Is this HT-first setup? Hm. The forced in-wall installment makes it tough as it is. The ATF on-walls of ML do not have the extension nor the dispersion of a good tower/bookshelf with conventional dynamic drivers. But, since you are putting them on the wall anyways, I think the ML's sound wonderful. Very musical, and I think they are just fantastic with voice, especially considering the much lesser cost. I find the ATFs offer an extremely low level of sibilance.

If you rarely/never crank it, I think the fresco-i sounds great. I haven't heard the vignette. This is coming from a Summit owner as well.

The dynamo is like the ATFs: poor extension. I know its rated decently, what 25hz @-3db?. Well, it sure didn't sound like it to me; bit "tubby" or something. Though it tries admirably for its tiny size, I would also recommend stepping up to a different model, assuming you have space for a larger sub.

Go for the ATFs if they please your ears and eyes, and you don't need the bass extension (or don't over-crank it). Great little speakers.

Yep, first setup.. I appreciate what ur sayin' and thanks for the info. I rarely crank it. But, with audio I might crank it "every now and then". I guess that's where I'll see where they lack in performance. I think I can afford to go with the Abyss. Is the Grotto in the same price range? What's the price on the Script i ? Maybe that'd be an option for the two R-L mains.

If you can't get towers, scripts are a great choice. They sounded almost as good as my clarities. They are true electrostats. Placement is still not as ideal on the wall compared to towers.

Thanks.... In the next week or two I'll have to go listen to scripts and also find out if I can afford them or not.

The Vignettes are clear, detailed, take lots of power and are surpisingly punchy. I have listened to the Vignettes as main speakers for a while without really noticing a lack of bass - if a small sub was added they would form the basis of a very good small system.

But as rears is where these solid little beggers excel. They have the speed to keep up with Summits and the ability to reproduce dynamics without compression. No, they are not electrostatics like the Scripts, but they are cheaper, don't require a power outlet, and they look really good.

P.S. Have I mentioned build quality? These things feel as though they are carved out of a solid piece of aluminium alloy!

P.P.S. Just buy them!

Back