vantages on a raised foundation wood floor

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tven

Reaction score
I had my vantages for a week now and trying to see what room would be best. Currently they are placed in my den/utlitiy room next to the kitchen which is 10 x 20. They are placed in against the wall facing in over the length of the rectangle shaped room. About 7 feet apart. I feel the sound stage is too small and was contemplating moving the speakers to the living room where is a lot more room to move sideways.

Now for the dilemma. The den was on a cement filled foundation with a wood floor, while the living room is on a raised foundation on a wood floor. And i've been hearing things from friends saying the bass will sound very boomy on raised foundations. Is there any truth to this? Can anyone confirm or deny?

I appreciate the help. :)

Last edited:
Hi tven,

With the exception of basement floors or houses that do not have basements or a crawl space (the first floor is a concrete "slab on grade"), the vast majority of floors are supported by floor joists. I have no idea how your friends can defend that assertion.

Having said that, there is value to isolate the speaker from the floor. This will help attenuate mid / lower bass energy transfer to the floor. You can see what I've done to address this issue. Other solutions are also possible.

Bottom line is anything you can due to reduce vibrations, the better the sound.

GG

PS: I would base my decision on what room allows your system to sound the best versus what's under the wood floor, be it concrete or floor joists.

Last edited:
I had my vantages for a week now and trying to see what room would be best. Currently they are placed in my den/utlitiy room next to the kitchen which is 10 x 20. They are placed in against the wall facing in over the length of the rectangle shaped room. About 7 feet apart. I feel the sound stage is too small and was contemplating moving the speakers to the living room where is a lot more room to move sideways.

Now for the dilemma. The den was on a cement filled foundation with a wood floor, while the living room is on a raised foundation on a wood floor. And i've been hearing things from friends saying the bass will sound very boomy on raised foundations. Is there any truth to this? Can anyone confirm or deny?

I appreciate the help. :)

My speakers are on a slab and so I normally listen in such a situation. My friends speakers (my old Aerius) on a raise floor has much more exaggerated bass. Whether this is just because I can feel it in the floor and I am not used to that with my system, I am not sure... I don't have enough listening time there to say.

Thank you for the input :)

I will need to invest in some good carpeting + diffusers + dampners as well.

Another option you may try is to get some Stillpoints OEM feet under your speakers. They were just released at RMAF.

Stillpoints are the best isolation devices for electronics based on my experimentation. However, I was never a fan of isolation devices under the speakers, but these are claimed to solve many problems of "quick and loose" bass that the previous models have suffered from. Guys with $70K Wilsons use them.

They are probably not cheap, but are probably cheaper than buying an amp stand. So see if you can borrow some from a dealer or from the Cable Company to try for yourself.

Putting the BDR puck devices under my speakers eliminated transfer of bass energy through the floor caused by the down firing woofer in the Summits. It was not meant to address any bass issues with the speaker per se.

The result was quite positive and totally worth the price.

GG

I would not worry too much - martin logans generally really do not have any bass to begin with so you should be fine! If it bothers you, yes use some of the isolation products that the above posters have recommended.

Regardless of where the Speakers end up being setup, it is best not to have them setup directly against the Wall. Rather, give the Vantages at least 3 Feet from the Back Wall. This is quite important for getting the best Sound from the Speakers.
Cheers,
ML

Back