Vantage came in damaged.. Is this repairable cheaply?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asclep

Reaction score
My new to me speakers arrived and one of the Vantages has damage :(

Can you guys help me with how much you think it would cost to fix? I am going to file a claim if its expensive but if its cheap I will just cover it.

The cinema I looked fine. - looks like the guy drilled extra holes in the bottom of the Cinema I to mount it but doesn't look destructive. (If I should take more pictures of this and post them I can).
The Descent looked fine (minor scratches but nothing major)

The other Vantage looked fine.

(I tried to include the pictures but it kept complaining I had included too many so I uploaded them to Flickr)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72248405@N07/sets/72157628448727963/

Is the speaker repairable? Can it be run even though its broken or would it be dangerous?

I don't see anything else wrong other than being super dirty :( :( :(

Thanks!

It looks like the panel got wet and filty. I would file a claim. you probably need the frame and the panel replaced.

Hola. I think, with all respect, that only the plastic cover of the panel is broken, so you can use your Vantage with no problem. If you want this part, just report it at Martin Logan service dept. They will send to you the part, and also I think it is not that expensive. The panel is very sturdy, so I think it is not damage. Just hook up the speaker and play your favorite song and listen. If it is broken, no harm to your amplifier. But I almost can be sure that you are safe. Happy listening!

Thanks for the responses....

I will hook it up and hope for the best.. I will report my findings.

This went from one of the best days to one of the worst... On the way home with my Emotiva XPA-5 I got a ticket :( Apparently 68 in a 45.... but I had just passed a slow moving car and I find it hard to believe i went from 35 to 68 in 1 second... (I didnt even gun it that much)... but being in a red convertible twin turbo sports car tends to get you noticed :( Some days good, some days bad.

Today bad.... Then got home and things got worse :(

Check the panel very carefully for damage. You may be lucky and only have the top cracked, but it doesn't look good, least not because of the mess and dirtiness of the speakers. ES panels should be kept hospital-clean.

If this is going to be claimed, get both panels replaced.

I plugged them both in and listened to them (Wicked - Defying Gravity and some other songs) and at first listen they seem ok.... I will do more thorough testing in a bit.

Any recommendations on music that could show that all the parts of the Vantage is working?

If you could get the stereophile test disk vol 3 and run the stereo freq bands, (tracks 17,18, 19 ) The bass, mid bass and high freq tests would quickly reveal differences between the two speakers.

Last edited:
I would file a claim ASAP. That looks terrible.

Mmm,
The speaker does not look like it has been looked after, very very unclean for a panel, i would be very unhappy.

Hi Asclep,

Was the Vantage outer box damaged as well upon receipt? If not, the courier will very likely reject any claim. Do you have any pics from the seller that clearly show the speaker in good condition before he sent them? The more evidence you have that the damage was done during shipment, the better. Sorry for your misfortune. More than a few of us have experienced similar shipping unpleasantness. Hope this turns out well for you in the end.

BTW, Laguna Niguel = nice area. I work for a company that's headquartered in Irvine and I make it a point to drive south down PCH whenever I can. Las Brisas in Laguna Beach... damn fine margaritas :)

Don't screw around trying to determine if the speaker works. FACT IS if there's evidence to the packaging the speaker was damaged in transit you need to get off the forum and inform the seller who shipped the item to file a damage claim.

IMMEDIATELY.

You the receiver buyer did NOT ship the item therefore you can NOT file a damage claim.

The clock is ticking and the longer you wait to ask the seller to file a claim the least your chances are of having a claim honored. Capiche?

Weeks ago I received a jazz guitar that was shipped MINT that arrived trashed by UPS and I took photographs and forwarded them to the seller within 50 minutes of receiving the guitar. UPS still failed to accept responsibility and pay on the damage but that's only round 1.

The longer you wait to ask the seller-shipper to file a damage claim with the shipping company the worse your chances are of having a claim settled on your behalf. GET BUSY..that's my .02 based upon 20 years of shipping high end audio gear.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Melodie. She was amazing in helping me find the parts I needed to replace and even offered to send me the maintenance manuals for the speakers so I can fix them myself.

Here are the parts list:

Vantage:

Panel: 494.90
Mid Strut: 33.00
Midstrut mount: 23.00
Top Strut: 32.00
Front Grill: 35.00
Bottom Strut: 26.00

Descent:
Front Grill: 45.00
Side Grill: 45.00

Sent the list of repair parts in to the insurance and will find out what they say soon.

Thanks for all your help!

Just got off the phone with Melodie. She was amazing in helping me find the parts I needed to replace and even offered to send me the maintenance manuals for the speakers so I can fix them myself.

Here are the parts list:

Vantage:

Panel: 494.90
Mid Strut: 33.00
Midstrut mount: 23.00
Top Strut: 32.00
Front Grill: 35.00
Bottom Strut: 26.00

Descent:
Front Grill: 45.00
Side Grill: 45.00

Sent the list of repair parts in to the insurance and will find out what they say soon.

Thanks for all your help!

Don't forget, you will need to replace both panels at the same time.

The price is for a pair of Vantage panels.

It is recommended that you replace both so that they match.

Back