Valve Preamp choice - Audio Research LS 26 or Pathos Acoustics In Control ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Lyngdorf DPA-1 in combination with a pair of Puritys.
http://www.lyngdorf.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=43
Since I am mainly using my Squeezebox (or occasionally the ancient Walker vinyl player) as source the built in DAC comes in really handy. (CD is soo 1990 :D )
Also the Room Perfect system efficiently eliminates the slight bass boominess.
There are some nasty resonance frequencies around 300-400 Hz in the room which the Lyngdorf manage to eliminate rather well.
All in all it is a very sweet sounding system, at least in my opinion.

That's the thing......I think the VK51SE lacks the soul of the VK31SE, they can't really be compared because their character is so different, that's why BAT was successful selling both. Some people even prefer the VK3i to either...go figure. The 51 is almost too smooth and too clean to the point of having no soul. Asking someone which preamp is "the best" in this lofty arena is like asking which female supermodel is "the best", your opinion will undoubtably differ from mine.

That's pretty much where I was at too. I listened to the 51SE, but ultimately found that the 31SE offered a more musical presentation to my ears. If I had a tube amp I might have swayed the other way, who knows. I also listened to ARC, but for the money, I felt that the 31SE was VERY close to the ARC REF 3 at a more manageble price.

But then I'm an inabashed BAT fanatic...

What do you mean "room perfect system" ??:confused:

It's not my intention to hijack the thread. So briefly, it is a digital correction system that corrects the frequency curve to adjust for room resonances and other nasties, works rather well.
You can find more info via the linc.

No problem, I don't think that you are trying to steel the thread. Btw, I checked the link. Lyngdorf is nice, but I like tubes so...:D

Cheers!:music:

My short list would be Modwright ls36.5, Cary spl-05 and Aesthetix Calypso.

I'll second the ARC LS 5 MK III I've had mine for quite a while it's the one component I haven't considered changing. You can really shape the sound by tube rolling too, it's all XLR though.

The Pathos stuff is very warm and romantic, compared to the ARC which is very neutral and dynamic.

The older ARC is a touch more romantic, but in a really good way.

Completely different from the Pathos experience, so it depends on how your system sounds now and how you would like it to sound.

Guys, my ARC LS 26 arrived today !!!:clap: Amazing machine. :D

Guys, my ARC LS 26 arrived today !!!:clap: Amazing machine. :D

We'd sure like to see pictures of it in your system and love to hear your thoughts on the intricacies of it's performance as well.

Very happy for you, it's always great to get a wonderful new piece of kit!

Yeah, of course, but I am on vacation now...summer and the sea...

Greetings !!!

Back