Value of damaged source

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tristan

Reaction score
I'm trying to gauge the value of one damaged Source speaker. Can anyone offer some advice as to the value? I attached pictures of the speaker; sorry they look like hell. Our basement is getting remodeled so I had to take pictures of this speaker inside the junk closet.

Here is the story. Unfortunately, when I received a pair of Source a few weeks ago my friend dropped one of them while helping me get it into my basement. The mounts broke off. The panel seems fine with no visible indication of damage, but there was slight damage to the frame of the panel and some rash on the back of the cabinet. Once the panel is remounted I would imagine this speaker will perform just as well as any other new unit; just with cosmetic damage. When the panel is remounted the rash won't be as pronounced as it is on the back of the cabinet as the panel depending on where the speaker is placed.

I have been in contact with ML tech support. Parts will cost me $72 shipped. Do you feel it's worth spending the money on parts? Will I be able to recoup this upon selling? Also, will this be a hard sell being that I am only selling one speaker? The gentlemen in tech support said this would make a great center speaker, but I don't have a placement option.

Attachments

• P1010920.jpg
    P1010920.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 141
  • P1010919.jpg
    P1010919.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 143
  • P1010918.jpg
    P1010918.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 143
  • P1010923.jpg
    P1010923.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 141
  • P1010917.jpg
    P1010917.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 141
Fix it, modify your setup to make it work. It would be great. Even if you need to go to a forward projection drop down screen or high wall mount your tv.

It is always worth the investment if you intend to sell. I bought a matinee from ebay for super cheap and all it needed was 2 cosmetic frame parts at $40. If the seller would have fitted the parts then he would have gotten a lot more than he sold it for. Nothings going to put off a would be customer more than cosmetic damage

Hola. Also, ML service dept has all the parts for all ML speakers. Contact them, and ask for a Proforma Invoice for the cost of all the parts that you might need. They will send to you all the info, so you can ask for the right parts. Happy listening.

How much to sell it as is? I could possibly convert that to a center channel with some DIY elbow grease. That is if the panel will work and sound good horizontally.

I have thought about making this a center channel, but didn't think it was possible. I wonder how this speaker would perform in a horizontal placement? I only have two options. My room is 10X11 which is quite small with relatively low ceilings being in an old basement. I could place it horizontally below the TV or above the TV which is where I have my current center on a shelf. I believe the weight wouldn't be an issue with the base removed. I'm not sure if vibration would be an issue or not.

I wish I had a vertical placement option, but I can't move the TV anywhere else to make room in such a small situation.

Tch0rT, thanks for your interest. I'd be happy to entertain offers. After this thread has been fully explored I could use the appropriate area of the forum to make sure I'm respecting all the rules.

You can't use it placed horizontally. The dispersion pattern is all wrong for a center channel.

Back