Vacuuming Near Speaker Wire

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

Reaction score
I normally vacuum my music room floor (carpeted) with my stereo system turned off, but yesterday I happened to do so with the system on, and got a real surprise: I was using a vacuum with a powered carpet sweeper, and as I got close to a speaker cable there was a very loud sound from the associated speaker (an SL3); it sounded like the motor in the sweeper. I quickly moved away from the cable. I'm amazed that so much noise was induced through the speaker cable. There was no damage to the speaker; it played okay after.

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance but your SL3 is receiving 120v AC right(just like any ESL)? The vacuum may have been emitting some sort of electromagnetic noise that your speaker's panel may have reproduced. Probably wouldn't have happened unless it was an ESL that wasn't AC charged. Try unplugging the speaker from AC then vacuum. I may not know what I'm talking about either, just throwing it out there.

I've had things like that happen (not always w/ a speaker) but AC motors w/ brushes (as used in most vacuums) broadcast loads of RFI (from the arcing at the brushes and the commutator) which almost always finds its way into the audio signal. The route isn't always clear however -- meaning it may not have been going directly from your speaker cable into the speaker. It might have been creating a signal back through the amp first, which got added to the signal going to the speaker. RFI is so weird!

Yes, certainly weird.

I've got an issue when the refrigerator is running, I hear a feint 50Hz hum through the speakers.

I've never bothered to do too much about it - just turn the 'frig off when listening seriously.

There is a lot of static electricity generated by the air rushing through the plastic hose/attachments on a vacuum cleaner too, the shop vac variety, if not grounded. Even if, best leave all equipment being vacuumed off.

They still make lead pipe................I have an idea.:cool:

http://www.doerun.com/news/library-casa.aspx
PIPE_01A_1.jpg

You don't have any pets or ever want to have children do you?:D

Latest posts

Back