Using S/PDIF for analog

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcteague

Reaction score
A general question:

I have high quality S/PDIF cables (Canare connectors with Synergistic bulk cable). I'm curious - is there any reason this cable would create audio quality problems if used for analog signal transfer rather than digital? I have the wires and don't need them for any other purpose.

Thanks

Maybe i'm missing something here, but S/PDIF cables are optical, meaning there is no conductor inside, just a light tube. How would you pass an analog signal through it?

Maybe i'm missing something here, but S/PDIF cables are optical, meaning there is no conductor inside, just a light tube. How would you pass an analog signal through it?

S/PDIF is the data protocol. The medium used to carry that protocol can either be copper (75 Ohm characteristic impedance via coaxial or twisted pair conductors) or optical TosLink (via glass or plastic optical carrier)

The OP was asking about copper only.

A general question:

I have high quality S/PDIF cables (Canare connectors with Synergistic bulk cable). I'm curious - is there any reason this cable would create audio quality problems if used for analog signal transfer rather than digital? I have the wires and don't need them for any other purpose.

Thanks

You can absolutely run analog over a 75 Ohm copper cable that is intended for SPDIF connectivity... works fine. Some will argue that it may not be ideally suited for analog, but it works just the same. In fact, most of those A/V cables bundles (the three cables together with red/white/yellow RCAs) are all 75 Ohm.

S/PDIF is the data protocol. The medium used to carry that protocol can either be copper (75 Ohm characteristic impedance via coaxial or twisted pair conductors) or optical TosLink (via glass or plastic optical carrier)

The OP was asking about copper only.

Thank you for that clarification. I stand corrected.

Thanks for the info. Will someday try a purpose built analog cable to see if there's any difference in sound quality, but I suspect not.

Thanks for the info. Will someday try a purpose built analog cable to see if there's any difference in sound quality, but I suspect not.

Perceived differences depend on quality/materials/design of construction, associated equipment, and listener's interpretation. There is a highly competitive cable market out there with lots of (end-user) folks claiming marked difference between cables (real or imagined). The good news is that there are a number of excellent honest cable companies out there that provide quality products at reasonable prices.

Cheers

Back