Using other servo subs?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterK

Reaction score
Anyone used other servo subs? Love the looks of the multi-driver ML subs but pricey especially if using 2 units. The Rythmik servo subs seem to be well regarded and 2 of them would be $2-3000 range. Is there some specific advantage to the ML subs to be used with the Ethos or Montis? I keep reading that it is not easy to integrate subs with the ML electrostatics but don't really understand why.
Thanks.

I can't answer your question about servo subs other than I know Velodyne has/had some back in the day...

I keep reading that it is not easy to integrate subs with the ML electrostatics but don't really understand why.

The ESL diaphragm is very light, they claim it's lighter than air. So it accelerates very quick. Subs usually have heavy cones and can't accelerate quite as fast as the ESL diaphragm. So as they say when mixed the bass frequencies are slightly delayed compared to the panel. My DIY subs aren't servo subs but they seem to keep up with my ML EM ESL's fine to my ears.

Last edited:
But there's no sub out there able to match the quickness of a very fast ESL driver. Thats the nature of things using a woofer for the low frequencies and a diaphram for the higher ones. I believe if you have bass managment in your AVR/AVP and able to bi-wire the woofers separate form the ESL driver, these two transducers could be phase match to each other and one delayed relative to the other to ensure the sound wavefronts from the woofer and ESL are time aligned with respect to each other.

Back