Users? Opinions for Velo SMS-1

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill, I've used the version built into my DD-12 and it's OK, but the GUI is limited to 1/3 octave, which won't give a true picture of what's happening. Not a problem is you use Auto EQ only, definitely sub-optimal if you perform manual EQ.

Are you EQ-ing a single sub? How do you plan to connect it?

Bill, I've used the version built into my DD-12 and it's OK, but the GUI is limited to 1/3 octave, which won't give a true picture of what's happening. Not a problem is you use Auto EQ only, definitely sub-optimal if you perform manual EQ.

Are you EQ-ing a single sub? How do you plan to connect it?

2 subs comming from a Crown K-1 & I have a couple of pro elec. x/o's

If you don't mind something a bit harder to use (and having to make manual measurements, along with buying and using all the equipment you need to make the manual measurements), you can't go past a parametric EQ. These do exactly the same thing, but they are customisable down to the last degree!

The Behringer DSP1124P and DEQ2496 as well as the dbx DriveRack models are popular choices (and cheap!), and therefore have a lot of support/info on the web. Just search, but models from Mackie, Ramsa, Meyer Sound, BSS Varicurve, etc will do the same thing.

I use a DSP1124P. I wouldn't trust it with anything above 50Hz (you're basically converting analogue to digital and back to analogue again), but for the application I use it in, it's great!

Last edited:
I own 2 JL fathom 113's and am always trying to tweak them to get the best possible sound out of them... I talked to a highly respected person in the industry employed by JL audio who has been a sound engineer for years and has tons of experience and he basically told me the this equipment is pretty much junk and introduces alot of other negative effects on sound quality in the form of phase shifts. Basically correct sub positioning and dialing in phase / polarity correctly via test cd is the best and purest method. It has worked for me and the sound is amazing now - i feel like I added a third sub to my system!

Agree you never know what garbage would be introduced, espicially with DSP
Makes you wonder when U see alot of
Certain items for sale all of a sudden.

...he basically told me the this equipment is pretty much junk and introduces alot of other negative effects on sound quality in the form of phase shifts.
Hugely dependent upon the EQ approach - minimum phase/linear phase/mixed phase and how it's implemented. Generalizations are dangerous.

Basically correct sub positioning and dialing in phase / polarity correctly via test cd is the best and purest method.
As a first step, absolutely, but despite multiple, ideally-placed subs and best effort, one is very often left with large peaks @ VLF which must then be endured - or EQ'd. Even Geddes conceded this point eventually.

Agree you never know what garbage would be introduced, espicially with DSP.
Bill, if you're ever in LA, I hope you'll stop by to experience what intelligently applied DSP can do. You're welcome, anytime.:music:

I havent been in L.A. Since I was asked & paid to fly in by the DA in the late 70"s
Thanx for the offering I am open to all concepts in audio.
Seems like theres alot of experience out in ML land.

RUR

I see you use the tact, do you let it make the decisions for the bottom octaves?
Or they need tweaking afterwards.
Feel I culd get more than just placement & a spectrum analizer With noise.

RUR

I see you use the tact, do you let it make the decisions for the bottom octaves?
Or they need tweaking afterwards.
Feel I culd get more than just placement & a spectrum analizer With noise.
Bill, first I place the subwoofers in the best room positions by measuring for flattest FR, un-EQ'd, using an Omnimic measuring @ both 6 and 24PPO. Measure and place the first sub, then measure and place the second, based on the combined response @ the LP.

Then I run the TacT RCS. This also sets speaker/sub delays to within .01 milliseconds, ensuring phase match.

Finally, I re-measure with the Omnimic and make any final tweaks using the TacT's parametric EQ. IIRC, I currently have 2 filters between 100-200 Hz to flatten small peaks the RCS didn't correct to my obsessive standards.

nb: all this is done in a room tolerably well-treated for bass absorption - large corner traps + broadband across much of the front wall.

Bass is linear as hell with excellent decay characteristics. I have one very narrow null I can't eliminate without another sub but, because it's so narrow, it's psychoacoustically inaudible. Still bugs me, though.....:p

Latest posts

Back