Used vantages from dealer, newbie help :)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tven

Reaction score
Pardon me, but this is my first time buying any equipment of this caliber. I am here for some insight regarding buying floor models from Magnolia AV in LA.

My options

Buying brand new vantages + New Prima Luna Dialogue Power 4. This would end up around $9.3k (taxes incl).

Buying floor model vantages (couple of years old with full 5 year warranty) + New MC275 MKIVs. Cost is $9.3k (taxes incl).

Sonic differences between the two amps aside, is there an inherent risk in buying a used pair of Vantages that I am over looking? The kind that does not get covered by the warranty, and which might be hidden with even careful usage? Do Vantages or any ESLs for that fact see a decline in performance in any way over time, even with careful usage?

I am worried if buying them after they have been used for 2 years, would cut into the life of the speakers. Although I realise i am getting a terrific AMP with option 2.

Last edited:
I do not see any reason why you can not be happy with a used set. I would buy them take them home let them sit 12 hours vacuum the panels well and enjoy.

I just bought 18 year old ML's and they are great.

I would not be worried about getting used vantages - especially from a dealer with a full warranty.

Just make sure you fill out all the appropriate paperwork for the 5 year warranty.

Often manufacturers default to the manufacturing date in the case of ambiguity and you don't want that to happen :eek:.

Personally, I also bought a set of dealer "demo" vantages as well. I'm very happy with my purchase.

I prefer to buy demos assuming you get full warranty.

One, you know they work.

Two, you save money. Spend the savings on better electronics.

Three, no burn in issues. What you hear is what you get.

GG

Tven, I presume you are dealing with MAV on Wilshire in Santa Monica. I have, over the years, purchased gear from them although no ML's. I have never seen them abuse any equipment and they are pretty knowledgeable on what they sell. I have recently heard the Vantages with the MC275 MKIVs. For the same money, get the demos and the better amp.

I would buy the demo's as well for the exact same reasons Gorden said.

Vantage and McIntosh makes sweet music to my ears, but I may be a bit biased!!

Gordon

Do Vantages or any ESLs for that fact see a decline in performance in any way over time, even with careful usage?
I've owned ML ESL's some 15 plus years now, and have personally owned ML speakers with 12 plus years on the panels at least a half dozen times. Sure all ESL's eventually require replacement, even the brand new pair you're considering buying, but with a 2 year old used pair you're a very long way off from having to consider that.

I am worried if buying them after they have been used for 2 years, would cut into the life of the speakers. Although I realise i am getting a terrific AMP with option 2.
Personally I'd choose to buy the 1 year old used pair of Vantages selling for $2800 that have been featured on AG for over two months now. The seller appears reputable with strong feedback and a long time member. I highly doubt a store front can get close to that, but if they're a two year old pair then I'd treat them as used speakers from the stand point of price, for that's what you'll own. For used market, bluebook prices or otherwise, once you walk out the door with that dealers speaker you own a 2 year old pair of used speakers. Others may cringe on buying anything without a warranty, but after 15 plus years in this hobby I've easily acquired over $100k retail in used gear without once having an item fail on me. These Vantages are available used everywhere, not just on AG. Buy selectively and you'll save enough on the speakers to have plenty of extra cash to acquire one heck of an amplifier.

Personally I rarely buy anything new in audio for the depreciation is tremendous. You'll rarely observe used prices above 55%, even for current model gear. I recently sold a brand new pair of Vistas for $2300, and had to pull teeth to get that much out of them. But if you absolutely, positively, have to have a warranty, then of course bite the bullet and pay the piper. That's my .02

Personally I'd choose to buy the 1 year old used pair of Vantages selling for $2800 that have been featured on AG for over two months now...

That's my .02

While you are on Audiogon you can check out the MC275 MKIV's ranging from $2350 to about $3000. Going the full used route can save you over $4000. Looks like more than 2 cents worth of advice. I also have gone the Agon route many times with no problems but then again I am from Vegas so gambling is my middle name. No matter what you choose, that is a good combo for you to enjoy.

Hi Tven,

Welcome to the madness. Since you are new to the hi end environment, it seems that you can take the Gon prices quoted here and discuss final price with your dealer.

Or, the alternative is as others have suggested. Depends on your comfort level.

Good luck.

GG

While I am all for buying stuff off Audiogon (I did buy my monoblocks off Audiogon 6 years ago, and have not had a problem with them), keep in mind that if anything goes wrong you are on your own - no dealer to go back to.

Just thought I'd complete the picture.

I use Audiogon a lot. EXCEPT when there is a reputable dealer (with a good deal) in my area. There are many reasons that you should strongly consider it that have been printed here and other forums.

Unless the deal is too good, I would use the dealer. Just be aware that if the too good deal isn't really good you have a substantial problem.

Back