Used CLSIIz: can anyone confirm the age?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexl911

Reaction score
Hi,

I hope someone can help me? I used to own a pair of CLSIIz and regret selling them so I'm now on the hunt again.

I found a a pair of used CLIIz speakers and the vendor says that they are only one year old? I thought that these have been out of production for several years and the last set(s) were anniversary editions in cherry wood?

The serial numbers are: CEE 1406Z and CEE 14067Z

The speakers are in Germany -would would be a fair price (range) in Euros for a pair this young with OBM in black?

Thanks!!

The decoder isn't necessarily accurate.. Those serial numbers don't just match up with what they should be. (It should start with CS, instead of CE, according to the decoder PDF.)

CS is for the stat panel itself
CE is for the electronics part of the speaker

And there was no 4th letter for the month,
So I didn't know what to think

Does the decoder work for speakers in Europe? These are in Germany.

Can anyone confirm when the last CLSIIz were built?

I believe production of the CLS IIz ran from 1992 through the end of 2002.

dude call martin logan tomorrow and ask them they will clear all of this up for you. I was interested in a used pair of cls and they where very forthcoming with a lot of information.

Last edited:
I confirmed the serial numbers are correct so the it does not make sense with the decoder. Perhaps it's format is only for North American models??

The vendor has also confirmed that they are only 1 year old but he gave me the contact information for the shop where they were purchased so I can discuss the history.

The vendor has also confirmed that they are only 1 year old but he gave me the contact information for the shop where they were purchased so I can discuss the history.

It's possible that the vendor acquired the speakers one year ago, and it's also possible that the panels were replaced one year ago, but it is not possible that the speakers themselves are only one year old.

Yes, the vendor acquired the speakers a year ago from a ML dealer and was told "they [the speakers] were one year old" i.e. not that only the panels were one year old. Jim Power confirmed that they are in fact 1993 vintage, however the vendor is not as informed as most of us and was not even aware of the CLS history, when they were produced or even that the panels are replaceable!

In fact, the same shop has another pair of CLSes posted on their used section of their website advertising that they are 'one year old'.

The vendor is now quite angry and has contaced the ML distributor in Germany. I will have to wait and see what happens.

I'm also very disappointed as I thought that I had stumbled on one of the last pair of 20th anniversary CLSIIz given the high price that was being asked and they had the newer ETC spikes, etc...:mad:

Back