Upsampling. Real or imagined benefits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
I've had a Cary 306 SACD CDP in my system now for eight months or so.

Like my previous Cary, the CDP1, and other CDP's in the Cary line (303 / 300, etc), one can adjust the sampling rate in the analogue domain, and with the 306, the analogue and digital domain.

I know other manufacturers like Esoteric, that offer similar upsampling options.

My experience with this feature has been very positive as far as fine tuning the digital signal to increase overall musicality and listening pleasure.

Do you have a CDP that offers this option and, if so, what has been your experience?

GG

Last edited:
My prior pre-amp, the Meridian 568 would upsample (44 -> 88) and it was subtly better than without. I ran most of my critical listening that way.

I also used a PC based audio player, FooBar2000, to perform upsampling as well and it was the equal of the results with the Meridian doing it.

I now have a Denon AVP-A1HD pre, and it upsamples everything to an internal resolution that is not published, but definitely higher than 16/44, and it has an internal audio playback source for network based files. Since I have my entire CD collection ripped (via EAC) to 16/44 .WAV's, I can play them directly in the pre with no jitter (all audio generated internally is synched to master clocks) and with the internal upsampling (plus Audyssey processing).
Never heard anything make reedbook data sound this good. Not even a Meridian 800 setup.

Whatever the method, audio upsampling results in better results in my experience. Recommended. :music:

Hi Jon,

That's also my sense about redbook and also upsampling, in both domaines, the XM ouput from my Magnum Dynalab tuner, using the feature set in the Cary CDP.

If that is the case, why isn't this technology more widely used? Or is it and not just noted in the manufacturer's information?

Reason I'm asking is that in reading reviews of CDP's that have this capability, some reviewers say they tried various settings and settle on an "unprocessed" settings.

Others state that there is an advantage and encourage purchasers of that piece to try the feature.

Based on my experience with redbook CD's and the upsampled XM signal, seems to be a no brainer.

GG

Latest posts

Back