Upgrades for 2010?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to follow up the best upgrades of 2009 with what do you plan on for the coming year?

Myself, I think I plan on trying some room correction hardware ala Lyngdorf or McIntosh. The Lyngdorf is very attractive price wise but since I'm a MacHead, it won't match the rest of the gear. Kind of a shallow way of looking at things but appearance is important to us.

Secondly, a music server is starting to look more and more appealing. I read about them everyday here and other sites and there seems to be an added ease of listening to music. Not to discount having a couple hundred CDs not taking up room in the space.

Lastly, I'd like to try some Purist Audio Design Venusta or Provectus speaker wires. I've talked to several folks who found them to be very workable with our speakers.

What about you?

Happy New Year!!! Gordon

I just ran out of Last stylus cleaner, will replacing it count as an upgrade?

I'd like to build my own turntable, I'm serious.

I just ran out of Last stylus cleaner, will replacing it count as an upgrade?

I'd like to build my own turntable, I'm serious.
I think a turntable would be one of the easier thing to build but I think you should also build the cartridge and tone arm then I would be impressed.

1. To spend 4X more or more on music than on gear. Seriously!
2. To begin working my way through every album I own, in order and blog the results as short reviews.

I think you should also build the cartridge
If I could pull that off I'd be an audio Zeus.:D

Tonearm would be easy, I have an old toothbrush and a nail somewhere, time to find some duct tape.:cool:

I'm considering an external crossover so I don't have run my Vista's full range with my JL F112 sub. I like to run the Vista's at maybe 65-75 HZ and up and have the JL handle 65 HZ and below.

besides my lyra cartridge that should ship next week I am really going to try to buy music only and not focus on the equipment just as others seem to be saying. I have way more money in gear than music and I think that is not good for balance.

Steve,

Totally agreed.

For the first time in some 30 +/- years as an audio hobbyist, I didn't upgrade anything in 2009 and all "music" funds were allocated to music. I plan the same for 2010.

At some point, I hope we all can agree that we are doing this in order to connect with the music, regardless of the messenger.

Happy New Year and happy listening ML fans.

Gordon

better amplification!! its all thats in my sights for now beside building a rack for my listening room and an entertainment center for my livingroom, which arent really a performance upgrade....

New Year's Upgrades

I thought it would be interesting to follow up the best upgrades of 2009 with what do you plan on for the coming year?

Myself, I think I plan on trying some room correction hardware ala Lyngdorf or McIntosh. The Lyngdorf is very attractive price wise but since I'm a MacHead, it won't match the rest of the gear. Kind of a shallow way of looking at things but appearance is important to us.

Secondly, a music server is starting to look more and more appealing. I read about them everyday here and other sites and there seems to be an added ease of listening to music. Not to discount having a couple hundred CDs not taking up room in the space.

Lastly, I'd like to try some Purist Audio Design Venusta or Provectus speaker wires. I've talked to several folks who found them to be very workable with our speakers.

What about you?

Happy New Year!!! Gordon

Happy New Year to you Gordon:

Upgrades for 2010

Power Conditioners: Going with the Running Springs Audio Dmitri and Maxim to replace my venerable Nordost Thors.

Phono Preamp: Upgrading from Pass XP-15 to XP-25 when it becomes available.

Plasma Display: Upgrading from Sony XBR 950 (50" screen, 1080i) to Panasonic Viera TC-P65V10 (65" screen, 1080p, internet).

A major outlay but will have more time to watch and listen when I am retired in July.

better amplification!! its all thats in my sights for now beside building a rack for my listening room and an entertainment center for my livingroom, which arent really a performance upgrade....

Racks can be a performance upgrade. My DIY rack definitely improved my sound quality, not to mention the improved visual appeal.

risabet, did you built the rack in your main system pic?

Yes. I used mortise and tenon joinery for the frame. The amps are on individual maple stands within the frame but not connected to it. The middle shelf is 3/4 Baltic birch plywood with a 1 inch thick rabbeted cherry front. The shelf is relatively light and very stiff. It is not firmly connected to the frame either.

In comparison to the old stands the sound is more visceral, with better detail and impact, a definite improvement all around.

Last edited:
Back