Upgraded system with Descent i

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callisto

Reaction score
Hi!

A couple of days ago my new "love" arrived, a Martin Logan Descent i.
I have now burned in the subwoofer and what can I say...I just love it.
My system today is:
Martin Logan Ascent i
Martin Logan Descent i
Krell FPB 200
Primare pre 30
Primare cd 31

This subwoofer is really amazing, it is totaly synchronized with the panels and now it sounds as the speakers go straight down to the sub octaves. It do not sound as there is a subwoofer if you know what I mean, it blends perfectly. It also has power in spades! A friend of mine has 2 old descent and he was visiting me today and was extremly impressed of this creature. It is really a blessing that they have added a control at 50 Hz. Now it is much easier to tune in the system since almost every room has some problem in the 40-80 Hz region.
For you guys that feel that you want some more solid bottom, do not hesitate, this is the medicine for you.

Hi!

A couple of days ago my new "love" arrived, a Martin Logan Descent i.
I have now burned in the subwoofer and what can I say...I just love it.
My system today is:
Martin Logan Ascent i
Martin Logan Descent i
Krell FPB 200
Primare pre 30
Primare cd 31

This subwoofer is really amazing, it is totaly synchronized with the panels and now it sounds as the speakers go straight down to the sub octaves. It do not sound as there is a subwoofer if you know what I mean, it blends perfectly. It also has power in spades! A friend of mine has 2 old descent and he was visiting me today and was extremly impressed of this creature. It is really a blessing that they have added a control at 50 Hz. Now it is much easier to tune in the system since almost every room has some problem in the 40-80 Hz region.
For you guys that feel that you want some more solid bottom, do not hesitate, this is the medicine for you.

The Descent i is indeed a great sub...but an expensive one.

Decesnt i versus the Depth i for Vantages

I completely agree. It is a superb sub. Well worth the price IMHO.

Well this is timely . . . Long story short - just today I received my replacement Vantages and already had the new Descent i. I have been reading a lot on several posts and there seems to be a lot of people that actually prefer the Depth i over the Decsent i. Even to the point of saying two Depth i's would be better than 1 Descent i, either placed 1 each behind, or next to the Vanatages, or 1 up front in the center and 1 in the back center of the room. It's the "fast" sub talk. 8" versus 10" driver, moves faster, shorter, etc . . . . Who knows.

I am really torn between the Decent i and the Depth i now, either one or two. Can always add a second depth i if necessary. The Descent i SEEMS to integrate well, whether set to the right side by 4 feet, or in the dead center, but it is a monster size wise and at times seems to overpower the Vantages a bit. I'm 95% 2 channel and 5% movies, but would like to venture down the HT path eventually. How about a Depth i in the front for two channel and a Descent i in the back for movies? Can you even do this daisy chained? Room size 15 x19 with a foyer of about 10 feet to the left on the narrow side, with speakers in the middle of the long wall, with panels about 30" from the wall.

Sure I could sell the Vantages and get the "new" CLX someday, since there is a selection on the Descent i sub labeled "CLX". Of course if they are $14,000 per pair like rumored, I doubt that would happen in my house! You can always dream though. "Hey, I'll keep the Decent i so I can use it with the CLX's" That sounds pretty good to me. :D

Thoughts on the Decent i versus the Depth i?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I've got the Descent, not the 'i' version, and I love it now because of what it gives me when I run our system as a home theater. I used to love it as much due to its support for my Ascents, but the Summits I replaced them with have such a good subwoofer internally that now I don't even use the Descent when I listen to 2-channel music.

Well, I can't imagine someone SERIOUSLY saying that a Depth i is better than a Descent i or that they would love the Depth more than the Descent. If the Descent is to much then just turn the volume down. It will certainly go to lower freq. levels than the Depth as well as higher SPL levels still maintaining any control or Musicality that you might desire...every bit as well as a Depth. No matter how many Depth you put in a room they still won't go to the lower freq. level of the Descent... How much music is really down there??? Not much...how much HT is down there, PLENTY!

Latest posts

Back