Upgrade of capacitors

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayovelez

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am very happy with my SL3. I recently found a almost new set of panels for them from a user here. I have done most of Gordon's tweaks. All is sounding great. Due to their age, I want to replace the capacitors and have search all over this site and can't find help on this replacement. Can someone make some suggestions on replacing the caps please? Also, my old panels are doing ok, but any suggestions on what to do with them? They are sounding well, and have no issues.

Thanks,

Carlos

Thanks for the info on the panels. My biggest task has become the capacitor upgrade. There are a series of 4 capacitors, 3 are made by Richey. From the speaker terminals going up the first one(Richey) seems like a film 33 mfd at 100vdc(what is a suitable replacement for this one)? The next one is Elpac(really hard to find) this one is I believe 15 mfd at 100vdc(what is a suitable replacement for this one)? The next one up is a Richey also, this one seems aluminium and it is 33mfd at 100vdc(what is a suitable replacement for this one)? and last one on that board is a Richey 33mfd at 100vdc(what is a suitable replacement for this one)? I have notice that some people in the forum have exchanged them with other vendors, however they seem to have exchanged then with different vdc values. Please help me as I am a bit confused.:confused:

Sorry, I'm not the one to help with passive crossover upgrades. I'm the guy who ditches passives and goes active all the way.

So my recommendation is that, throw away all the power robbing passive stuff and use an active, tunable crossover, like a DriveRack.

However, I understand that's not an option for many. So I'll defer to others with experience on passive updates.

Thanks Jonathan. I am staying in the passive side. My biggest issue when selecting capacitors is that all the capacitors on this board are rated at 100 VDC, and some people are replacing them with 250 VDC ones. That part is screwing with my limited knowledge of electronics. I figure that while I want to maintain the capacitance value for each capacitor, I also needed to maintain the voltage value. So my commonsense is telling me to keep all caps in the 100VDC. Can someone shed some light on my stupidity? Thanks:confused:

Ok so I solved the issue with the Voltage on the capacitor. Now my last variable is that a couple of the capacitors seem to be directional(electrolytic), mainly the one closest to the bottom of the board closest to the speaker wire junction. The is another one in the middle that seems to be directional also. Is this something I need to worry about? Or can I just replace them with regular film based?

Thanks,

Carlos

Ok, so I figured out that I have to replace the electrolytics with same and film with same.

So, now I am just looking for advice on what type of Caps to get:

1) for the Richey electrolytic 330 mfd=?

2) for the Elpac film 15 mfd=?

3) for the Richey electrolytic 15 mfd=?

4) for the Richey Not sure if electrolytic or not 33 mfd=?

Thanks for any suggestions on brands and types.

Carlos

https://www.madisound.com/manufacturers/bennic/bennic-caps-electro.php

The voltage rating should be considered as a minimum rating, so look for 100V and up. You could use a 330uF Bennic bipolar, which is what the newer SL3 has. Madisound also has Solen film caps, which are an 'entry-level boutique brand' I suppose....

PS. I don't feel comfortable giving on-line advice to someone who can't even tell the difference of an electrolytic cap from a film cap!

Last edited:
Tosh,

Thanks for the input. I did not mean to make you uncomfortable by my ignorance on capacitors.

I am a newbie at this, however I am very comfortable soldering and also doing some ultrasonic welding. I am just getting into it. It is my second set of crossover upgrade, and after my experience with the first one I feel comfortable doing this one.

I have very limited exposure to capacitor types, but I am trying to learn.

Thanks for the advice, I am not trying to offend with my ignorance, I am just looking to see what others have used on this crossover so I can read and learn.

Thanks,

Carlos

Tosh,

Thanks for the input. I did not mean to make you uncomfortable by my ignorance on capacitors.

I am a newbie at this, however I am very comfortable soldering and also doing some ultrasonic welding. I am just getting into it. It is my second set of crossover upgrade, and after my experience with the first one I feel comfortable doing this one.

I have very limited exposure to capacitor types, but I am trying to learn.

Thanks for the advice, I am not trying to offend with my ignorance, I am just looking to see what others have used on this crossover so I can read and learn.

Thanks,

Carlos

Hi Carlos,

I applaud your initative to learn component basics. Good for you. In short, electrolytics are generally used for low frequency filtering and/or supply regulation (the storage part) whereas non-electrolytics can be used in situations where large DC voltage pontentials are not present... e.g. relatively low voltage filtering/bypassing.

As with just about anything these days, there is virtually limitless information on the web... one short Google click away :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolytic_capacitor

Also, a great book to consider: http://www.amazon.com/MAKE-Electron...3740/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1296514843&sr=8-5

Cheers, Todd

Thanks for the support. I have done some reading about capacitors. I was hoping when I started this thread to get some suggestions from SL3 owners that have done such an upgrade.
I am just looking for what some other owners of SL3 have used as far of upgades to their XO.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Carlos

Consider also replacing the power resistors for some non-inductive and/or film type.
Do you have the older style woofer? (Does it have a stamped steel or cast magnesium basket?) A better woofer would be a big step up.
Keep an eye to the future with a DSP-based xo with the understanding that some of your upgrades might then become obsolete.

Here's what the later SL3 xo looks like stock.
From left to right the caps are 330uF Bennic bipolar electrolytic (LP xo), 30uF Solen film (HP to ESL), and 30uF 'generic' film (part of ESL EQ).
Is your XO the same? (It reads like yours might have a 15uF film in // with a 15uF electrolytic = 30uF total?)

Attachments

• ML SL3 XO small.jpg
    ML SL3 XO small.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 2,283
Last edited:
Thanks Tosh,

I have newer subs, and also my XO look different that the ones on your img. Here is a few pics of my XO:
SL3 XO2.jpg

330mfd electro 2.jpg
Any suggestions for this^^^ 330mfd
15 mfd film 2.jpg
Any suggestions for this^^^ 15mfd
15mfd electro 2.jpg
Any suggestions for this^^^
33 mfd top 2.jpg
Any suggestions for this^^^

Thanks,

Carlos

Last edited:
I can't tell from your pics, but IF the 15uF film and 15uF electrolytic are hooked in parallel for 30uF total (are they?), then your xo might be the same layout (although not same parts) as mine.

A low distortion woofer will give you better mid range as well. XO is around 250Hz so the woofer is down only ~12dB at 500Hz. Unhook the jumper on the speaker posts and play music to only the woofer, and you'll hear how much midrange is there. Lots of money, but something to keep in mind.

I can't tell from your pics, but IF the 15uF film and 15uF electrolytic are hooked in parallel for 30uF total (are they?), then your xo might be the same layout (although not same parts) as mine.

A low distortion woofer will give you better mid range as well. XO is around 250Hz so the woofer is down only ~12dB at 500Hz. Unhook the jumper on the speaker posts and play music to only the woofer, and you'll hear how much midrange is there. Lots of money, but something to keep in mind.

Hello Tosh,

The two 15mfd are not parallel. One is film the other is electro.

If you sketch a diagram (schematic) of the xo, then we can have a think about it.

Back