update on my Martin Logan Spires

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miatancdan

Reaction score
I purchased in Sept 2011 a pair of Martin Logan Spires :music:
The first few months was difficult during break in period but have to say I still amazed at sound quality of these speakers and how seamless the panel is from woofer section:rocker:
Even when rocking out the volume in high 90s, meters on my McIntosh MC302 barely hits 30 watt peaks:cool:

Just wanted too mention how good the sound quality is of new Naim ND5 XS network player is:bowdown: playback of cd music files unbelieveable good ( Naim dac section very musical ). Even internet radio from iRadio section of Naim network player is impressive. Wonderful to have access to all your cd music collection from ipad to operate Naim player and not need computer turned on to play music.

Have anyone here tried Conrad Johnson tube preamplifier in system using Martin Logan speakers. Always felt tube preamplifier with solid state power amplifier good combination:music: thinking of getting Conrad Johnson ET3 SE as preamp

your thoughts?

Dan

Have anyone here tried Conrad Johnson tube preamplifier in system using Martin Logan speakers. Always felt tube preamplifier with solid state power amplifier good combination:music: thinking of getting Conrad Johnson ET3 SE as preamp

your thoughts?

Dan

Dan,
Not too long ago I purchased CJ MET1 preamp. It's beautifully crafted piece of electronics. It happened to be my second attempt to enter tube world. First one the BAT VK-3xi turned out to great fiasco. At some point I even started wondering if my speakers are hissing but no it was just a percussion playing. Conrad Johnson MET1 is completely opposite to my first tube experience. Sounds just lovely. Perfectly balanced character. Cured my system from "digitisis" .
But with tubes came other issues: microphonics, hissing tubes, ground loops. It cost me some time to get it all right but it was definitely worth it.

From totally solid state system (krell preamp) to tube CJ I can say without any hesitations it was great step forward.

I'm glad you're enjoying your spires. It's no surprise to me that a sub's no longer needed. Like you I've sacked my sub - I had forgotten what stereo bass sounds like!

Back