My experience with DACS and Logans

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't heard it, but it's supposed to be compressed, so while it has a lot of fans for ease of multi room networking, purists who want to stick to uncompressed prefer other stuff. If you choose you can have an uncompressed streamer for your main hifi and Sonos for the rest of the rooms

Sonos compressed? I don't think so.......

Sonos should (I say SHOULD - I don't know) be capable of bitperfect audio, just like the Squeezebox and other good streamers on the market.

Yeah, you can absolutely play FLAC audio on SONOS devices. Currently I have a media PC that I use a program called XBMC to play media files, but the trouble of having to turn the TV on, pick an album, turn the TV off then go through the steps all over again once the album is over kinda bugs me.

I like the idea of playlists, and using my iPhone to control it. Is there any advantage to using a DAC with the Sonos connect?

Sonos doesn't support higher res files, which is probably what bonzo meant. Per their website...

- Sonos supports FLAC files up to 16 bit / 44.1 kHz
- Sonos does not currently support high-resolution FLAC (24/96)

Sonos compressed? I don't think so.......

Sonos should (I say SHOULD - I don't know) be capable of bitperfect audio, just like the Squeezebox and other good streamers on the market.

Sonos doesn't support higher res files, which is probably what bonzo meant. Per their website...

- Sonos supports FLAC files up to 16 bit / 44.1 kHz
- Sonos does not currently support high-resolution FLAC (24/96)

Well, it's inaccurate to call 16/44 FLAC "compressed". That said, true Sonos does not support high-res - worth remembering.

Is there any advantage to using a DAC with the Sonos connect?

There is a jolly good advantage to use a DAC with your Sonos. A good one though - not just any. You should experiment with a few to ensure you are getting a feisable improvement.

Well, it's inaccurate to call 16/44 FLAC "compressed". That said, true Sonos does not support high-res - worth remembering.

There is a jolly good advantage to use a DAC with your Sonos. A good one though - not just any. You should experiment with a few to ensure you are getting a feisable improvement.

I've been considering just keeping my HTPC setup and getting high quality audio card like an HT Omega with a DAC on board. The only hiccup is I don't believe I can use the RCA inputs on my receiver if I'm using the HDMI video input. I think optical is the only route, and I believe the DAC is by-passed on the card.

http://www.htomega.com/clarohalo.html

and

http://www.htomega.com/eclaro.html

are the two cards I'm looking at currently. One has optical SPDIF the other has RCA (but would be tricky with HDMI video from the HTPC).

Latest posts

Back