Universal Remote?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwrace

Reaction score
I am looking for a universal remote. I need it for cd, dac, pre, tv, cd recorder, squeezebox & processor. I think I would prefer touch screen. It needs to be a easy setup and use. Oh, and good quality of course. Suggestions????

Not touch screen, but controls everything and sets up using the internet.

Harmony 880 or 890 (with RF)

I have the 880. It is a pretty good little remote that is not very expensive. Got mine a year ago for $200 I believe. It is easy enough that your wife will use it..which is a nice thing to see. Even my parents figured it out with minimal prep from me.

It controls everything in my setup - even my random 17 inch tv off to the side (Envision brand)

Since it updates over the net, it can stay on top of the times as new components are released with new codes.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/productlistharmony/US/EN,CRID=2080

Jtwrace,

Thanks for the kindly invite to do some system auditioning, :) We'll have to work that in sometime. ....as for your question, I don't know the brands, but I know that tweeter has a couple advanced remotes though I'm sure they're not cheap. Especially if you want to program a single button to do a series of power on and setting changes for multiple components. They charge quite a bit for it, but will do the programming for you if you wish. They just need a list of all your components. They have a couple more reasonable models, but for non-touchscreen, BestBuy probably has a greater (and more reasonable) selection.

I prefer the MX 3000 over the Phillips Pronto for touch screen remotes.I use the Mx 3000 in my home theater,But it's a bitch to program.When I bought it the initial programming was done by a tech.I've made changes to my system since initial setup and downloaded what amounted to a small book to learn how to program it.Spent hours learning how to program it.:banghead:

I use a Harmony remote in the bedroom and it took me less than 10 minutes to program it.Grant it the system in the bedroom only consists of a TV,Satelite Receiver,Dvd player,and for Sound a Cambridge Soundworks CD,Radio Alarm Clock.But it also controls the reading lights above the bed.The only draw back to the one I have is it only works with things that use IR.Unfortantly my ceiling fan only works on RF.But for ease of use the Harmony wins hands down.Also the price is about a tenth of the touchscreen remote.

Thanks TheWB,

Which Harmony do you have?

jw, check out this item on eBay: 320065239504

the seller has a lot of them and it's a great remote. The last version of logitech's software is really easy to work with - you set up everything on your computer, then upload it to the remote by means of a supplied usb cable.

When I press "watch TV", the remote:
- turns on the projector
- turns on the receiver and selects DVR recorder as source
- turns on the DVR recorder

and so on.

I also use an 880. It has internal state data so it remembers if you have already turned on devices like the TV for example, if you change from sat TV to DVD, so it doesn't re-send that power-on code. It treats everything as "activities": you press a button that says "watch DVD" and it knows what devices are needed to be on, what inputs to select, etc., for you to be able to watch the DVD (turn on HT receiver, select multichannel audio, turn on HDTV, select HDMI input 1, turn on DVD, etc.). You simply tell the website what devices you have, which ones control audio levels, which one(s) is the video display, and what inputs to use for the activity. It sets up the appropriate codes and sequences in your remote, and builds in delays and command sequencing to allow for device startup. (Many people reduce some of these somewhat conservative delays to make the system more responsive).

The only downside to the Harmony approach is that they designed their system for the 95% of users who don't do very complex set up. Configuring some things that you "know" the remote should be able to do can be a bee-atch to figure out on their website. There is no power-user mode that lets you directly set up macros et al in the normal sense. You can get to where you want to be, but it will take some jumping through hoops to do so. The members in the Harmony forum on Remote Central can generally walk you through any particular weirdness that you need to do, and worst case, the Harmony Tech Support does have the ability to directly manipulate set-up data for your remote on their site.

If interested in remotes, then this is the place with information for you:

http://www.remotecentral.com/

Here is a top of the line Touch Screen model...

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/prontopro/list.cgi

Later....Dan

I can vouch for the TSU 3000, TSU 7000, and that amazing TSU 9600.

It's pricey at $1300 for the 9600 but it's amazing. My buddy has one and I have remote envy like a mofo. He has 1600 DVDs and has his DVD covers mapped to the slots on the changers.

Back