Universal Remote that you guys recommend?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and so I started looking at the Harmony website based upon all the great recommendations in this thread. Of course, I was checking out the Harmony 1000 since it was the coolest of the bunch. I showed it to my wife and asked her if she needed a gift idea for me for Christmas. Her response was: "You know you need it; you know you want it; just go ahead and order it for yourself right now." Have I mentioned how much I love my wife?

Rich,
Show her these pictures and see if it works for a Porsche Carrera GT2 :D

Attachments

• 115835939_ea2039e72b_m.jpg
    115835939_ea2039e72b_m.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 115835940_2ae2d880e9_m.jpg
    115835940_2ae2d880e9_m.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Thanks fellas. I'm trying to read some more reviews about the Harmony 1000 and the way it interacts with the SB3. Some reviewers have mentioned that when doing so and when the SB3 is involved along with a preamp, the volume control only works for the SB3 and not the preamp.

I wonder why this is so.

Does anyone here used any Harmony remote and the Squeezebox3? Is it purely volume control or can the Harmony remotes actually go through the menu?

Joey

Joey, for your system, just get the Universal MX-3000. Not as easy to program as the Harmony remotes but A LOT more options and just overall a much more flexible remote. Its the remote of choice for the SERIOUS home theater enthhusiast.

Harmony's are cool if you have family that doesn't know how to work electronics, but I think the MX-3000 is more what you are looking for.

Joey -

FWIW - the Harmony remotes have a button called "device" which allows you to select any device you have programmed and control it from that menu.

Joey, for your system, just get the Universal MX-3000. Not as easy to program as the Harmony remotes but A LOT more options and just overall a much more flexible remote. Its the remote of choice for the SERIOUS home theater enthhusiast.

Harmony's are cool if you have family that doesn't know how to work electronics, but I think the MX-3000 is more what you are looking for.

bober, thanks for that opinion. Do you find that touch screens are easier to use? I do not yet have that impression, but I've played with one only once. For a non-touch-screen, what remote would you recommend? Thanks.

P.S. These discrete codes are almost never part of a device's 'shipped' remote, so you have to get them from elsewhere. I recommend searching the Remote Central website for them.

Thanks kcl. I am familiar with that site, and did try scouring for certain discrete codes, pretty much none of which I found. A particularly annoying one is that I don't have a discrete code for the 2nd hdmi input on the tv. Maybe I should go look again. The remote is programmed to go to menu then toggle. Of course, this doesn't really work unless the tv is already warmed up.

Joey -

FWIW - the Harmony remotes have a button called "device" which allows you to select any device you have programmed and control it from that menu.

This is true. However, not extremely convenient to use. I program the codes to each activity. What I found though was that certain codes unnecessary for certain "activities" remain for all, no matter what.

Thanks kcl. I am familiar with that site, and did try scouring for certain discrete codes, pretty much none of which I found. A particularly annoying one is that I don't have a discrete code for the 2nd hdmi input on the tv...
I just realized that I may have been misleading. Because I've been trying for years to find the 'best' remote that my handicapped wife can use, I've got a couple of different versions of Prontos (the original Pronto and the TSU3000). Since you can do almost a bit-for-bit definition of an IR code with a Pronto, there's almost always a device configuration in Remote Central's archives that contains the desired discrete code. What I realized is that I've gotten almost all of my discrete codes by loading an archived device into a Pronto, and then 'leaning' the appropriate button into the new remote. This method is probably not available to most other folks.

Joey -

Sweeeeet! That's what I wanted to hear!

Can't afford that particular remote.... :(.

Chalk up another happy Universal MX-850 owner here with RF-350 box and all. I am considering "upgrading" to the newer MX-810 though as it has the ability to take in hex codes and some other trick new features.

The Harmony's are nice but they are just so...limited.

Yeah the harmony's are limited. Joey, the MX-3000 is $1000 retail, but can be had on ebay for under $400. Its really a great remote if you can get your hands on one. Try the Harmony 1000 and if you feel it is too limited, upgrade to the MX-3000.

Yeah the harmony's are limited. Joey, the MX-3000 is $1000 retail, but can be had on ebay for under $400. Its really a great remote if you can get your hands on one. Try the Harmony 1000 and if you feel it is too limited, upgrade to the MX-3000.
I am in the touch screen type remotes when and if I get one. I already have written instructions for the wife and kids on using the many remotes in my setup for DVD, TV, SACD, etc. usage.

I am still considering a MX-3000, but I have not had time to look through the manuals for the programming to try to get a grasp on the effort required. The Harmony 1000 "looks" great but there are current too many negative things being posted about it to consider at this time.

Did you have any type of remote programming experience before using the MX-3000??? If not how would you describe the learning curve for learning to program it?

Did you have any type of remote programming experience before using the MX-3000??? If not how would you describe the learning curve for learning to program it?

Dan,
The MX-3000 did not come with a programming manual, had to download it off line. It was a bitch to program, but I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, nor technically very savy. It literally took me a week to get everything programmed they way I wanted it. I also went back several times and made changes after the initial programming. I dread the day I change out a piece of equipment and have to go in and reprogram. But I do love the remote and it works great. For me at least the programming was very difficult.

I have a Harmony remote for the bedroom system and it took me longer to download the software than it did to program the remote.

All things being said I much prefer the MX-3000, but I paid $600 for it and only $60 for the Harmony.

So Harmony's easier to programs than the MX3000.. but in the end, the MX3000 is the better remote.

I think that's what I got from Wayne's post.

*Sigh*.. it's a tough choice. The MX3K is much more expensive... but it could be a remote that lasts for a long time. Thing is, my system is not that complicated... it's not HT and there's not as much to it as say, Wayne does in his.

I'm going to let this soak in a bit.

Joey,
Give me a chance to play with my Harmony 1000 and I'll let you know how it works for me (ease of programming, ease of use, functionality, etc.). Ease of programming is a big one for me because I really don't feel like paying someone to set things up for me (especially every time I change out a component - yikes!) and I don't want to have a masters degree in computer programming to have to figure it out on my own.

Joey,
Give me a chance to play with my Harmony 1000 and I'll let you know how it works for me (ease of programming, ease of use, functionality, etc.). Ease of programming is a big one for me because I really don't feel like paying someone to set things up for me (especially every time I change out a component - yikes!) and I don't want to have a masters degree in computer programming to have to figure it out on my own.

Rich my friend,

Yes, definitely looking forward to your thoughts.

Joey

So I had a bunch of reward miles piling up and when I got an email listing the Harmony 1000 as one of the featured items, I jumped at it.

I've had the Harmony 1000 for a few days and had the basic programming done in about an hour. Works as advertised. Programming is easy. GF acceptance factor: phenominal.

I thought that the activities based thing was gimicky but it really works well. Changing activities, i.e. watching a DVD to listening to CD's turns on/off the appropriate components and sets everyting up just right (i.e. for CD's even added the recever going into 2 channel bypass mode which is nice).
There is only one thing that I could not get working right (yet) is my MackBook remote. Would think the Apple remote is pretty simple but it sends the signal twice and I'm not sure why. (I use this for sreaming Apple Losless tunes to my system)

For the GF, who can't aim a remote if her life depeneded on it, the Help feature is nice. Just hit Help and it walks you through a bunch of questions, answer yes or no and it takes the appropriate corrective actions. She tends to somehow miss the HDPVR when turning on the TV. The remote (not me) can now rectify the problem.. she loves it!

Give that, there are some quirks in programming the display buttons. There are some that you cannot change nor not have them show up in the remote. Already have an email out to Logitec. These are just annoyances but in a remote of this calibre, I would expect that everyting is customizable. Hopefully Logitech will correct in future software updates.

Overall quite nice and it has already replaced my Sony 4000 (which is also PC programmable).

Would I spend real money on this.. $600 Canadian or about $350 US on the net. The US price, probably, the Canadian price, no way. I was pretty happy with the Sony but the Harmony 1000 is really the next level. Nice show piece too and it looks impressive in its dock next to my system.

Latest posts

Back