Unable to install new Prodigy panels, help greatly appreciated

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jshowalter

Reaction score
The old panels came off easily, and the top two screws of the first new panel went in okay after a bit of a struggle, but the remaining screws are impossible to thread.

I followed the instructions in the service manual meticulously, but am stuck
on this step:

"Re-install the 8 remaining Allen screws securing the panel to the cabinet frame. You may need to apply a small amount of pressure to the front of the
panel in order to align the screw holes to the threaded inserts."

The problem is that no matter how much pressure, fiddling with the screw
angles, etc., the screws refuse to engage the threads in the frame.

That is because the holes in the new panels are not drilled to line up with
the holes in the frame.

I can see that the screws are scraping black paint off the inside of the
frame where they are hitting the frame after going through the holes in the
new panels.

The paint is being scraped away because the holes in the panels are about
1/16" too far forward (towards the front of the speaker).

Has anyone else encountered this problem, or know how to fix it?

Bobf had the same issue a few years back with his Prodigy and I think he made some mods to make it work per martin Logan. PM him.

Bobf had the same issue a few years back with his Prodigy and I think he made some mods to make it work per martin Logan. PM him.

That's annoying--I thought these were drop-in replacements. Maybe the frame has changed over time?

They included instructions in the box that show how to remove the plastic that runs down each side of the panels, and reinstall it.

Am I supposed to remove the plastic that runs each side of the new panels, and put the old plastic on the new panels? I can do that, but it disturbs the foam and seems like a hack.

I'll try PM'ing Bobf.

That's annoying--I thought these were drop-in replacements. Maybe the frame has changed over time?

They included instructions in the box that show how to remove the plastic that runs down each side of the panels, and reinstall it.

Am I supposed to remove the plastic that runs each side of the new panels, and put the old plastic on the new panels? I can do that, but it disturbs the foam and seems like a hack.

I'll try PM'ing Bobf.

Hi,
They are a real PIA:mad: Evidently you must have an earlier model as I do as they changed the set up so you don't have the misalighed holes with the little metal receivers for the screws and if your not careful you can strip them if they turn in the wood.
I did install the new panels as they were delivered and did not remove the plastic on the new panels. I did call ML and what I ended up doing was taking a small drill and just very slightly reamed the small hole on the new panel rails where the holes are so they would align.
They did not tell me to do this but being a carpenter by trade I was not going to keep fighting with them to go inplace.
If you can get someone to help hold in place you may not need to do this but I found the new panels were just a tad wider than the old ones that caused this in my opinion.

Keep in mind these were assembled at the factory and matched exactly there hence the fun we have now:(
Just try to take your time(not always easy) and they should go together for you. If in doubt give ML a call or maybe Justin from ML will chime in as well.

Best,
Bob

Hi,
They are a real PIA:mad: Evidently you must have an earlier model as I do as they changed the set up so you don't have the misalighed holes with the little metal receivers for the screws and if your not careful you can strip them if they turn in the wood.
I did install the new panels as they were delivered and did not remove the plastic on the new panels. I did call ML and what I ended up doing was taking a small drill and just very slightly reamed the small hole on the new panel rails where the holes are so they would align.
They did not tell me to do this but being a carpenter by trade I was not going to keep fighting with them to go inplace.
If you can get someone to help hold in place you may not need to do this but I found the new panels were just a tad wider than the old ones that caused this in my opinion.

Keep in mind these were assembled at the factory and matched exactly there hence the fun we have now:(
Just try to take your time(not always easy) and they should go together for you. If in doubt give ML a call or maybe Justin from ML will chime in as well.

Best,
Bob

Thanks! I'll get out the drill.

Thanks! I'll get out the drill.

This problem can be fixed with a Dremel tool, two Demel bits, an X-acto knife, and an air compressor.

Put the first bit--a small-diameter cylindrical cutter--in the tool, and use it to elongate the screw holes in the panel's plastic rails. You need at least 1/16" more room, and probably more like 1/8".

Be careful not to hit the plastic rails with the spinning chuck on the tool.

Be careful not to nick the wires attached to the panel.

Trim the holes with an X-acto knife (to remove the little plastic burring).

Put the second bit--a small-diameter grinder--in the tool, and use it to elongate the holes in the panel-retention clips that go on the bottom of the panels.

Use the air compressor to blow all plastic debris from the panels.

Install the panels.

This problem can be fixed with a Dremel tool, two Demel bits, an X-acto knife, and an air compressor.

Put the first bit--a small-diameter cylindrical cutter--in the tool, and use it to elongate the screw holes in the panel's plastic rails. You need at least 1/16" more room, and probably more like 1/8".

Be careful not to hit the plastic rails with the spinning chuck on the tool.

Be careful not to nick the wires attached to the panel.

Trim the holes with an X-acto knife (to remove the little plastic burring).

Put the second bit--a small-diameter grinder--in the tool, and use it to elongate the holes in the panel-retention clips that go on the bottom of the panels.

Use the air compressor to blow all plastic debris from the panels.

Install the panels.
Hi,
It appears you are up and running:D

Best of luck and hope it sounds great!

Best,
Bob

Back