Tweeter to close a third of it's stores!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,

You should come with me to the Tweeter here in Columbia.

I'd likely have to get you drunk after we visit...

I have a cure for what ails ya, Dave. A trip to Overture!!!

:)

Erik

yeah, I know I went on a bit of a rampage (I PM'ed Disco and tried to explain). The reason why I said "Good Riddens" is because prior to 'Tweeter' alot of the shops were single and or small chains that actually catered to the majority of us types on this forum. Tweeter comes in buys them out/whatever and turns them into an 'HT Theme Park'.

i guess it's one of those deals that ya' gotta be over Forty years old to know where I'm comin' from !!

oh hell, I'm going to pour myself a scotch !!

Havana Club Añejo 7 años - el ron de cuba here.

Roberto will chime in, I'm sure.

Cheers !

Hola Lugano, and "Salud!!!" (cheers) ...I rather have a scotch if you don´t mind and again, Salud! (cheers). I am just sitting in my sofa and listening to a wonderful French trio in Live performance...Hadouk Trio live at FiP...very good recording and performance!...happy listening,
Roberto.

FYI...
In case any of you upstate New York vultures were looking for a good deal on a Depth, Depth i, Descent, or Descent i, neither the Albany, nor the Saratoga Springs store, has any in stock (new, used, demo, nada). There may be other models available, but I wasn't interested and didn't ask.

Which ML models does tweeter normal carry on their show floor? I will be calling the Katy store since my rents live next to it :rocker:

Never been to the Katy store but the ones in Dallas carry Clarities, Vistas, Vantages and Summits as well as the HT line and subs.

The Katy store did not have any Logans last time I was there. Likewise the Houston Memorial store at I10 a block west of Gessner. The Houston store at Westheimer/Hillcroft usually has Vistas, Vantages, Summits, Clarities. I have not been in the Kirby store since Summer. Back then they had Aeon-i.

Chicago Area Stores

Well its not all sad news for chicagoans.... true the Century mall location is closing, but for those of you in chicago who have been in there, its really not a huge loss. The store was usually dead and from my experience wasn't the best of presentations.

I do know that the location in Geneva is staying open, and that they're presentation of martin logans will soon become much better and noticeable.

So while many sad stories are to begin with loss of work, there is still hope for the company and hopefully these new changes will only help grow the acceptance of high end audio/video. :cheers:

Boys and girls the negative impact on Tweeter's employees began long before these closings. After they purchased the Sound Advice stores Tweeter gutted that company. They matrixed the established profitable business model and product lines like B&W right of the page.

The lost sales dollar figures for the Naples store alone have to be staggering.

So let's give an atta boy to MBAs with spreadsheets.

Regards
APF

I went today to the Mays Landing store (the one closing in NJ) but didn't have much anyway. Just one abyss, 2 grottos, and a cinema i. Everything else was low end stuff. Too bad. The only thing I liked were those teather chairs, no room for them right now though in my house. Prices on TVs and such were high even with the discounts.
Oh well, at least I got to go to Atlantic City afterwards!

I went to my local SoCal dealer this after noon and they did have a pair of vista’s, Vantage, Grotto, and Depth subs. They were all 10% off and I don’t think will be getting any cheaper, they have only been running there sale for a few days now and the store is already getting picked over.

bummer

I was in Chicago this weekend, and I got a call from my "future" dealer about the bad news. Walked by a Tweeter store there, didn't go in. In contrast to most of the posts in this thread, I would like to say my local Tweeter near me in California is excellent. I've seen/heard ML's in at least 3 stores OTHER than Tweeter, and I might say Tweeter has the best presentation. Dedicated room for Vista/Vantage/1 pr Focal, with Krell or Cambridge, and yet another dedicated room for Summits in a 5.1, with both cinema and stage and scripts and descent.

They offer 30 day satisfaction guarantee, 1 yr speaker upgrade, dealers who are not snobby or of the incessantly upselling types. They are understanding, patient, and pretty cool people. I've picked several persons' brains there for their formidable experiences. On the other hand, they do not have the largest selection of amplification, but the pros severly outweigh the cons.

Anyways, perhaps this is good news to you all. To me, its really sad. I've auditioned 25 prs of speakers at 7 stores (Not including big boxes), and I was going to buy ML's from Tweeter. Now, I may have to retreive my 20% deposit, and reconsider what I will do.

I have yet to visit my local dealers.... I'll do that this weekend. With my luck, it's probably been completely picked over.

Boys and girls the negative impact on Tweeter's employees began long before these closings. After they purchased the Sound Advice stores Tweeter gutted that company. They matrixed the established profitable business model and product lines like B&W right of the page.

The lost sales dollar figures for the Naples store alone have to be staggering.

So let's give an atta boy to MBAs with spreadsheets.

Regards
APF

I take it you are from Naples. I practically grew up going to the Sound Advice in Naples and have many great discussions with David Lee.

It is sad. The sales people never complained about not getting enough business. That was a great store once upon a time...

Dont want to resurrect an oldie... but I was reading up on this and on AVS and I feel bad for Tweeter.... and us.

This could be a sign of the times that middle america is truly going away from higher-end audio and more into budget, box-includes-all solutions.

It's not so much that Tweeter is a disappointment for the seasoned audiophile, but I feel that Tweeter's closing marks another blow to the audiophile in general. The one thing I really liked about Tweeter was that it was widely available to me and it really got me started in this whole audio hobby. If it wasn't for Tweeter, then I wouldn't even know where to start and I sure as heck wont look into the yellow pages or the internet for local hi-end 'mom and pop' audio stores when I didnt have any semblance of an idea about the audio goods to begin with. And I can guarantee you guys that I'm not alone in this experience/mentality.

The reason why we even have half the members on this club is most probably because of Tweeter... Tweeter is MLs largest source of distribution!!

Tweeter will always be held close to my heart as an audiophile. They were easily approachable, had more knowledge than the regular BB or CC employee, and led me down to this club.

Tweeter's recent downturn is a loss for all audiophiles, I think, regardless of what we thought of their service or lack thereof.

I'm going to take a nap....

:(

Nicely said Joey. I totally concur from my personal perspective. I was shopping at Tweeters and I thought I stretched my budget getting LSi15/LSiC/LSiFx speakers and associated electronics. I looked at the ML Vantages and said no way on earth I will ever put down $5k for those speakers. Well my Polk training wheels got me up to speed and my numerous trips to Tweeter checking out the other stuff (ML speakers and Krell stuff).

So with Tweeter I learned fast and their speaker trade in policy got me all ML speakers three months later. Never say never! I am totally in love with my ML speakers. If it was not for Tweeter and my store had a knowledgeable salesman, I would not be at this site as well. Fortunately, two Tweeter stores remain in my area. After learning about this hobby, I have visited three high end stores and was amazed at all the other stuff I was missing. I am sorry to see the stores close as well.

OBTW, they hired a liquidator to sell the in store product. There are not many good deals. There is an eight week sale until they close the doors. Discounts will keep going down until everything is sold by the eighth week. Example; demo Vantages at 10% off and everything else in the store is 10% off for the first week.

Brad

I just got a letter form the Tweeter in Gurnee thanking me for all the support and that they will be closing. If you are in the Chicagoland area may be worth checking out for some deals.

Not a healthy looking picture... :(

twtr

FYI...
In case any of you upstate New York vultures were looking for a good deal on a Depth, Depth i, Descent, or Descent i, neither the Albany, nor the Saratoga Springs store, has any in stock (new, used, demo, nada). There may be other models available, but I wasn't interested and didn't ask.

I stand corrected. While I was told on the phone they had no descents or depths, I was in their Albany store yesterday with some time to kill and there I saw a demo Depth with an aluminum top for, I think, around $1100 by the time all the discounts were applied. Most of the Martin Logans were only discounted 10% over full retail so there weren't a lot of bargains to be had, but the Depth was a notable exception. Had I known a week ago, I probably would have purchased the Depth, but now that I have a new (used) Descent, I thought I'd pass this nugget on.

Okay, so the price at the Albany store appears to be the $1198 regular Depth clearance price minus a 10% discount for the store liquidation. The stores in Albany and Saratoga will soon be no more.

Back